Believers in other faiths: How do you keep faith?

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟731,946.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I don't think this is true. Islam, for example, is quite strict--its alleged revelation is so specific to a certain culture that you're not even supposed to recite the Qur'an except in Arabic. Its divinely mandated legal code is almost uniquely resistant to evolution, but it has certainly managed to survive and thrive for almost 1400 years. I am not convinced that it's compatible with a secular world, but theocracies don't have to be.
I tend to agree with cloudy. 1400 years is a blink in the eye when looking at the length of the Human experience. For most of that time various flavors of animism was the norm. For the indigenous cultures, it still is. And there's a greater desire today for indigenous spirituality. Today mysticism as well is a growing element. Both animism and mysticism are experiential in nature. And that presents a different, more fully aware presence than does the trajectory of strict unmovable interpretation of words written down on paper. Where I agree with cloudy is that I don't have to jump far to see that over time people will gravitate to something different. Something more alive if you will. In the process Faith will change and evolve as well.

Of course, even a rigidly formulated religion like Islam can't prevent people like the Sufi mystics from radically reinterpreting certain aspects of it, or secular Muslims from doing the same. A religion doesn't need to provide a means for doing this--if someone wants to be a Christian Gnostic, good luck stopping them.
Sufies are a wonderful example of what I mean. Their "radical reinterpretation", as you say, doesn't come from mental exercises of text. It's knowledge that comes from inner "experiences". That's why they are called "gnostics". But your quite right in that it doesn't need to come from a religion to provide this. Which is again why I tend to agree with cloudy.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I tend to agree with cloudy. 1400 years is a blink in the eye when looking at the length of the Human experience. For most of that time various flavors of animism was the norm. For the indigenous cultures, it still is. And there's a greater desire today for indigenous spirituality. Today mysticism as well is a growing element. Both animism and mysticism are experiential in nature. And that presents a different, more fully aware presence than does the trajectory of strict unmovable interpretation of words written down on paper. Where I agree with cloudy is that I don't have to jump far to see that over time people will gravitate to something different. Something more alive if you will. In the process Faith will change and evolve as well.

Cloudy was specifically discussing religions that involve holy texts, which doesn't have anything to do with animism. You'll notice that religions that do not have holy texts tend not to survive at all--how could they when they aren't preserved? We can't even really say that animism was the norm thousands of years ago, because we do not have the historical records to know that, and there isn't much of a consensus amongst anthropologists. Oral tradition only gets you so far--nothing lasts if it isn't written down.

Mysticism is also not a religion, and the modern thirst for experientialism really is a separate issue entirely. I think you can see this with a lot of the more emotionally charged forms of Evangelicalism, for example, so it's hardly the sort of thing that is in direct conflict even with strict interpretations of Scripture. Again, if a religion isn't codified, it isn't going to survive in the long run, so I don't think people adopting indigenous practices are going to pose much of a threat to the survival of any of established religions.

I think we're in a very fascinating era right now--something quite reminiscent of the final years of the Roman Empire, really, with the apparent collapse of the old religious order and gnosticism creeping in between the cracks. But that's not something new, in any sense of the term. Christianity will almost certainly continue to do what it has always done when it starts turning into an institution and growing stale--start romanticizing Early Christianity and call for a renewal of some sort. But that's not an evolution; it's more cyclical.

Sufies are a wonderful example of what I mean. Their "radical reinterpretation", as you say, doesn't come from mental exercises of text. It's knowledge that comes from inner "experiences". That's why they are called "gnostics". But your quite right in that it doesn't need to come from a religion to provide this. Which is again why I tend to agree with cloudy.

Sufis are a wonderful example of what I mean. They don't exist independently of a religious tradition--the rest of Islam might consider them heretical half the time, but it's something that's survived as a branch of Islam all the same. They'll still tell you that the Qur'an is the Word of God. They are just a bit strange about it.

That said, I'm not sure what "mental exercises of text" has to do with anything, at least in terms of whether religions need to be flexible with doctrine in order to survive.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't think this is true. Islam, for example, is quite strict--its alleged revelation is so specific to a certain culture that you're not even supposed to recite the Qur'an except in Arabic. Its divinely mandated legal code is almost uniquely resistant to evolution, but it has certainly managed to survive and thrive for almost 1400 years. I am not convinced that it's compatible with a secular world, but theocracies don't have to be.

Of course, even a rigidly formulated religion like Islam can't prevent people like the Sufi mystics from radically reinterpreting certain aspects of it, or secular Muslims from doing the same. A religion doesn't need to provide a means for doing this--if someone wants to be a Christian Gnostic, good luck stopping them.
Some more ideas on this issue:
- Ambiguity is important in a religious text, because that allows for diversity of interpretation to suit changing needs. I have never read the Quran, so I don't know if it is sufficiently ambiguous.
- During the middle ages and up until recently, both Christianity and Islam have existed with state endorsement. The state endorsement persists in most Islamic cultures to varying degrees. I suspect that many modern Muslims go to the mosque because it is "the thing to do" - just as most middle class Americans went to church in the 1950s and 1960s. As those Islamic nations become more open, the state endorsement will wane, and I suspect there will be a flowering of atheism in the Islamic world.
- Islam is definitely an interesting case, because it probably reveres its holy text more than any other religion. My impression is that there is much less diversity in Islam than there is in Christianity. There are different sects, and they see their differences as profound, but to an outsider like me they appear to agree on a lot of things. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that there are FEWER sects in Islam than Christianity. The diversity of those sects is probably not too different between the two religion, but the quantity is much higher in Christianity due to the lack of state endorsement.

Oh yes, you mentioned that it was necessary to have a religious text for a religion to survive. It depends what we mean by "survive". Animism see spirits in nature. Originally humans were hunter-gatherers traveling to certain locations at certain times of the year for generations. Those humans might associate a spirit with a certain lake they use as a base camp for a certain season each year. In other words, the spirits were localized, because the culture was localized. Then as tribal cultures evolved into city states and empires, there spirits would become more generalized. So instead of a spirit for a particular lake there would be a spirit for all lakes in the world, so animism evolved into polytheism with rain gods and harvest gods and so forth.

So animism evolved into forms that continue today. The African tribal religions were somewhat like animism, and those merged with Catholicism. Wicca is somewhat like a modernized form of animism depending on how it is practiced. From what I undestand, Shinto evolved from animism.

An analogy for the religious text issue would be the US Constitution. If the US didn't allow for the courts to interpret the Constitution, then it would have become irrelevant. Fundamentalists are somewhat like the people who prefer a more literal interpretation of the Constitution. During the Depression, the Interstate Commerce Clause was used to regulate what family farmers could grow on their land, and many thought that was ridiculous. I am sure Jefferson wouldn't have like such restrictions on the liberties of farmers. But I suppose the Constitution would have become largely irrelevant if we didn't allow for new interpretations of the text. ... I guess this post is pretty rambling LOL

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Right now, the only faith I really have is faith that, as Julian of
Norwich said, "All shall be well … and all manner of thing shall be well."
I keep that faith by reminding myself that Love is the foundation of all.

And there are enough instances of signs, symbols, and synchronicity
scattered along my path to help me stay the course, as new revelations
roll in -- nothing world-changing on a global scale, simply things custom-
designed (by God and perhaps a spiritual guide or two) to help me
just grow the heck up, already. :laughing::blueheart:

Beyond that, eh... who knows...
idon_t10.gif
That's very similar to how it is for me. Without the synchronicities and weird experiences I would be happy to discard faith and be an atheist. But I can't ignore those things. Sometimes I think I am seeing patterns in the noise, and even when I believe there is meaning in the patterns I do not know for certain what that meaning might be. But I have a hope that any God that exists is going to make it all turn-out the way it should.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some more ideas on this issue:
- Ambiguity is important in a religious text, because that allows for diversity of interpretation to suit changing needs. I have never read the Quran, so I don't know if it is sufficiently ambiguous.

I don't really know what you mean about ambiguity. The Old Testament isn't particularly ambiguous, but that doesn't prevent people from interpreting it differently depending on whatever background they bring to it. I'm pretty neo-orthodox about it--I don't view any of it as an absolutely literal historical record, since that's not the way people actually tell stories after the fact. That doesn't require tossing out doctrine, and I don't need any sort of ambiguity in a text to make the claim that no text can present a literal account of events. That is (as the fundamentalists like to say) a presupposition, which is fine. It's impossible to not have presuppositions.

I'm not really sure what you mean by changing needs either. Every religion I'm familiar with is in some sense an answer to the Problem of Suffering and an attempt to provide a meaningful framework for human life. Those are needs that are perennial--they're not going to change, and the answer that each religion provides doesn't need to change either. I'm pretty sure people are drawn to each religion for largely the same reasons today that they were 1000 years ago.

- During the middle ages and up until recently, both Christianity and Islam have existed with state endorsement. The state endorsement persists in most Islamic cultures to varying degrees. I suspect that many modern Muslims go to the mosque because it is "the thing to do" - just as most middle class Americans went to church in the 1950s and 1960s. As those Islamic nations become more open, the state endorsement will wane, and I suspect there will be a flowering of atheism in the Islamic world.

Eh, history is not always linear like that. The Islamic world was far more modern right after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire with figures like Atatürk than it is right now--there has been a lot of backsliding over the past century, and that's something that could continue. I'm far from convinced that those nations are going to open up at all, since Islamic legalism does not really lend itself to secularization.

I don't really see a flowering of atheism happening either. It's usually a minority view within the non-religious community, so in the absence of oppression, would probably rise to a normal level, but the Middle East isn't the West. Scientific rationalism doesn't have a history there.

- Islam is definitely an interesting case, because it probably reveres its holy text more than any other religion. My impression is that there is much less diversity in Islam than there is in Christianity. There are different sects, and they see their differences as profound, but to an outsider like me they appear to agree on a lot of things. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that there are FEWER sects in Islam than Christianity. The diversity of those sects is probably not too different between the two religion, but the quantity is much higher in Christianity due to the lack of state endorsement.

Well, the main branches are obviously the Sunnis and the Shi'ites, and I would say that the differences between them are much more extreme than between the various branches of Christianity. Remember that Islam is as much a form of government as it is a religion, so conflict over whether it ought to be led by a descendant of Mohammed or not is pretty serious.

Beyond that, there are a number of schools of legal thought within Sunnism (Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi'i, Hanbali, etc.). I do not remember much about them, except that they're different approaches to jurisprudence. I don't think it's correct to say that Islam is less diverse than Christianity, so much as that Islam is an entirely different type of religion. It is a divinely mandated legal system, not a faith in the Christian sense.

Oh yes, you mentioned that it was necessary to have a religious text for a religion to survive. It depends what we mean by "survive". Animism see spirits in nature. Originally humans were hunter-gatherers traveling to certain locations at certain times of the year for generations. Those humans might associate a spirit with a certain lake they use as a base camp for a certain season each year. In other words, the spirits were localized, because the culture was localized. Then as tribal cultures evolved into city states and empires, there spirits would become more generalized. So instead of a spirit for a particular lake there would be a spirit for all lakes in the world, so animism evolved into polytheism with rain gods and harvest gods and so forth.

We don't really know to what extent polytheism developed from animism, though. It is all speculation.

An analogy for the religious text issue would be the US Constitution. If the US didn't allow for the courts to interpret the Constitution, then it would have become irrelevant. Fundamentalists are somewhat like the people who prefer a more literal interpretation of the Constitution. During the Depression, the Interstate Commerce Clause was used to regulate what family farmers could grow on their land, and many thought that was ridiculous. I am sure Jefferson wouldn't have like such restrictions on the liberties of farmers. But I suppose the Constitution would have become largely irrelevant if we didn't allow for new interpretations of the text. ... I guess this post is pretty rambling LOL

The Constitution is not really ambiguous, though. It's flexible and open to a degree of interpretation (depending on your theory), but that's not because it can be made to say whatever you want it to say. If that were the case, there would not be so many controversial decisions that people think actually violate it.

If by "ambiguous," you just mean that a religion shouldn't be legalistic, then I would personally agree. I don't have any use for legalism. I'm not sure that even the more legalistic ones at some point become irrelevant, though--you can even find secular Jews who keep Kosher.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟731,946.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Cloudy was specifically discussing religions that involve holy texts, which doesn't have anything to do with animism. You'll notice that religions that do not have holy texts tend not to survive at all--how could they when they aren't preserved? We can't even really say that animism was the norm thousands of years ago, because we do not have the historical records to know that, and there isn't much of a consensus amongst anthropologists. Oral tradition only gets you so far--nothing lasts if it isn't written down.
Humans have been writing things down for only a very, very short time of our existence. I go back to animism and Oral traditions for most of Human existence. And just because it's written down does not make it better. In fact as far as what it means to be more fully Human, I'd say it's made things worse, not better. Our bodies came from the forest. Coming from the Earth if you will, the senses of our bodies and awareness of presence have evolved to connect with Nature. That's part of being Hunter/Gathers in our evolving past. But today we connect with letters. In the process, I'd argue, we have lost so much of what it is to be a full Human Being.

I think your poo pooing of Oral traditions is with out merit. Oral Stories set the moral and communal foundations of those cultures. As a community gathers around to hear Oral stories, they receive a sense of life and connection to their communities both from the past and and future and instruction on a variety of subjects. Where I agree with you is that when written down, religion become less more an object that is more firmly planted into society. But that does not make them any better and clearly less spiritually aware of presence.

About animism historical past that you hit upon. When a people's whole entire existence is in Nature, as was our Human past, what other spiritual trajectory is there available other than animism? When we explore our few surviving long term indigenous peoples, all of which practice some sort of animism, how can anyone come to any other conclusion than of the importance of animism as a very heart the Human spiritual past. Do you have any other suggestions on what might have been? I sure don't.

Mysticism is also not a religion, and the modern thirst for experientialism really is a separate issue entirely.
It's more than a modern thirst. The experiential aspect of gaining understanding is a basic Human construct. It's built into the Human DNA. It's one of the ways that Human Beings have always gained knowledge. That's why I brought in animism into the conversation. You can't understand animism with out also understanding connection of presence to Nature. The conversation here has acted like the Human spiritual experience didn't start until some 2000 years ago. And that's just crazy thinking.

I think you can see this with a lot of the more emotionally charged forms of Evangelicalism, for example, so it's hardly the sort of thing that is in direct conflict even with strict interpretations of Scripture. Again, if a religion isn't codified, it isn't going to survive in the long run, so I don't think people adopting indigenous practices are going to pose much of a threat to the survival of any of established religions.
In the short term I agree. But being codified doesn't necessary give long term existence to a Religion, nor make it right. People over time can move on to something else. What does happen t though is that the subjective aspect of personal revelation is denied a person. But who knows what will happen long term. My spiritual community, as many others have all rejected the codified religions. But within religions of the book such as Christianity there's things like a Universal Christ and Cosmic Christ spirituality happening. In Islam there's the Sufies. There is clearly a movement a foot.

Sufis are a wonderful example of what I mean. They don't exist independently of a religious tradition--the rest of Islam might consider them heretical half the time, but it's something that's survived as a branch of Islam all the same. They'll still tell you that the Qur'an is the Word of God. They are just a bit strange about it.
I agree, Sufies are a wonderful example, but for what "I" mean. It needs to be noted that there is a fast growing Universal Sufi movement that is not tied to the Qur'an. And the most read Poet here in America is a Sufi named Rumi. That doesn't mean we're all Sufies, I'm not saying that. But at the same time we are as a culture being influenced by not only by Sufies but even by the rediscovering of the Christian Mystics as well. And that has a way of seeping into our collective consciousness, which effects in how we experience religions. There's a reason why the Sufies are both popular and also condemned in Muslim countries. And that's because they give Life to the Divine experience.

That said, I'm not sure what "mental exercises of text" has to do with anything, at least in terms of whether religions need to be flexible with doctrine in order to survive.
By "mental exercises of text" what I mean are the back and forth discussions/disagreements and such of "concepts" derived from written words. That's way different than the "experiential" aspect of knowing the Divine. Another way of saying it is a focus on "belief" about God rather than an "experience" in God. I think we had this discussion in the past.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't really know what you mean about ambiguity. The Old Testament isn't particularly ambiguous, but that doesn't prevent people from interpreting it differently depending on whatever background they bring to it.
Yeah, that is a good point. As you say, there is almost no ambiguity at all in the Old Testament. The Prophets are ambiguous or at least confusing to me, but the rest of the OT is non-ambiguous. The sayings of Jesus in the Gospels sometimes seem to have subtle meanings that the reader is expected to discern. I guess that describing those sayings as ambiguous isn't accurate either. Maybe "deep" is a better description than "ambiguous". ... So I guess my idea that a religious text should be ambiguous is unambiguously wrong. LOL

I'm not really sure what you mean by changing needs either. Every religion I'm familiar with is in some sense an answer to the Problem of Suffering and an attempt to provide a meaningful framework for human life. Those are needs that are perennial--they're not going to change, and the answer that each religion provides doesn't need to change either. I'm pretty sure people are drawn to each religion for largely the same reasons today that they were 1000 years ago.
Take animism. Primitive people felt a need to acknowledge the sacredness of life in their surroundings. Maybe they hoped to maintain friendly relations with their surroundings to aid in their struggle for survival. For primitive people there was no Problem of Suffering. They suffered, but I suspect they didn't see a need to explain the existence of suffering. Maybe I'm wrong though. I suppose in many ways primitive people are not that different from modern people. Do you know if the Problem of Suffering is addressed in the religions of primitive people who were discovered by and studied by modern anthropologists?

I don't think it's correct to say that Islam is less diverse than Christianity, so much as that Islam is an entirely different type of religion. It is a divinely mandated legal system, not a faith in the Christian sense.
That is a good point.

The Constitution is not really ambiguous, though. It's flexible and open to a degree of interpretation (depending on your theory), but that's not because it can be made to say whatever you want it to say. If that were the case, there would not be so many controversial decisions that people think actually violate it.
That is true. I guess the Constitution seeks to be general in its wording, but that is not the same as being ambiguous.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Humans have been writing things down for only a very, very short time of our existence. I go back to animism and Oral traditions for most of Human existence. And just because it's written down does not make it better. In fact as far as what it means to be more fully Human, I'd say it's made things worse, not better. Our bodies came from the forest. Coming from the Earth if you will, the senses of our bodies and awareness of presence have evolved to connect with Nature. That's part of being Hunter/Gathers in our evolving past. But today we connect with letters. In the process, I'd argue, we have lost so much of what it is to be a full Human Being.

You have a strangely essentialistic definition of what it means to be a human being for someone who has it in for abstract philosophy. We come from the forest, we are only fully human if we connect with Nature, and the only correct way to do this is to forego writing entirely. Perhaps we should go further--perhaps we should do away with language and oral tradition as well, as those are also later developments and therefore somehow less authentically human.

In any case, much of what you're saying is basically just made up. Writing is at least 5000 years old (cuneiform), and even that is at the very edge of prehistory. We cannot talk about the long eons of unrecorded history before that and about how ubiquitous animism was, because we do not know. There are no records. You are spinning a fairy tale, and someone could as easily claim that everyone was a monotheist and then the Fall happened.

I think your poo pooing of Oral traditions is with out merit. Oral Stories set the moral and communal foundations of those cultures. As a community gathers around to hear Oral stories, they receive a sense of life and connection to their communities both from the past and and future and instruction on a variety of subjects. Where I agree with you is that when written down, religion become less more an object that is more firmly planted into society. But that does not make them any better and clearly less spiritually aware of presence.

I'm not poo poo-ing oral tradition. I'm pointing out the very obvious fact that if things do not get written down, they get lost. It would be fantastic to know about druidic practices or Greek mysteries, but we don't. Because it was never written down.

I find oral tradition really interesting, but you are basically building your own mythology around it. And making unsubstantiated claims about how writing prevents people from experiencing numinous presence. That's not the case at all--if you were to read anything in the Platonic tradition, for example, you would see that the whole thing is basically about mystical experience.

About animism historical past that you hit upon. When a people's whole entire existence is in Nature, as was our Human past, what other spiritual trajectory is there available other than animism? When we explore our few surviving long term indigenous peoples, all of which practice some sort of animism, how can anyone come to any other conclusion than of the importance of animism as a very heart the Human spiritual past. Do you have any other suggestions on what might have been? I sure don't.

There is an intriguing alternative account I've come across called Urmonotheismum, so yeah, there are certainly other possibilities. As far as I'm aware, though, the evidence is too scant to really build any solid evolutionary theory of spirituality, so I avoid making claims one way or the other.

It's more than a modern thirst. The experiential aspect of gaining understanding is a basic Human construct. It's built into the Human DNA. It's one of the ways that Human Beings have always gained knowledge. That's why I brought in animism into the conversation. You can't understand animism with out also understanding connection of presence to Nature. The conversation here has acted like the Human spiritual experience didn't start until some 2000 years ago. And that's just crazy thinking.

You are making things up again. And I don't think anyone has said that the human spiritual experience began 2000 years ago.

In the short term I agree. But being codified doesn't necessary give long term existence to a Religion, nor make it right. People over time can move on to something else. What does happen t though is that the subjective aspect of personal revelation is denied a person.

I'm sorry, but this is just nonsense. I abandoned pantheism for Nicene Christianity, and that has in no way meant being denied the subjective aspect of personal revelation. Quite the opposite, really, since this is the only framework that has ever worked for me, so stop saying that codification makes this impossible. It's not true.

I agree, Sufies are a wonderful example, but for what "I" mean. It needs to be noted that there is a fast growing Universal Sufi movement that is not tied to the Qur'an. And the most read Poet here in America is a Sufi named Rumi. That doesn't mean we're all Sufies, I'm not saying that. But at the same time we are as a culture being influenced by not only by Sufies but even by the rediscovering of the Christian Mystics as well. And that has a way of seeping into our collective consciousness, which effects in how we experience religions. There's a reason why the Sufies are both popular and also condemned in Muslim countries. And that's because they give Life to the Divine experience.

If there's a growing movement of universal Sufism that's not connected to the Qur'an, then it's not really Sufi Islam. It's just mysticism. Which is fine--mysticism can exist outside of a religious tradition, but historically it either operates as an aspect of a larger religion, or it dies away. I have no problem if people want to build their own eclectic spiritual lives, but I'm skeptical of the claim that this is some sort of growing paradigm that is going to overwhelm the traditional religions. It's a historical reality that a certain level of orthodoxy is required for any belief system to survive over a larger period of time.

As for Christian mysticism, I don't know why you're trying to distinguish between that and actual Christianity. The Desert Fathers and Mothers, the Carmelites, and whatever other mystical group you can mention are perfectly decent representatives of Christianity. A revival of that might be a good thing, but that doesn't mean it's going to clash with the Nicene Creed or anything. Why would it?

By "mental exercises of text" what I mean are the back and forth discussions/disagreements and such of "concepts" derived from written words. That's way different than the "experiential" aspect of knowing the Divine. Another way of saying it is a focus on "belief" about God rather than an "experience" in God. I think we had this discussion in the past.

Yeah, it sounds like you're imposing abstract categories upon religious experience so that you can label your own form of mysticism as correct and anything else as wrong. Which is actually amusingly ironic.

I do not distinguish between concepts and experience in quite the same way. The intellectual and the experiential are actually linked for me--that comes with being a Platonist. Seriously, stop trying to erase us.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, that is a good point. As you say, there is almost no ambiguity at all in the Old Testament. The Prophets are ambiguous or at least confusing to me, but the rest of the OT is non-ambiguous. The sayings of Jesus in the Gospels sometimes seem to have subtle meanings that the reader is expected to discern. I guess that describing those sayings as ambiguous isn't accurate either. Maybe "deep" is a better description than "ambiguous". ... So I guess my idea that a religious text should be ambiguous is unambiguously wrong. LOL

Hah! Maybe "difficult" rather than "deep" or "ambiguous." ^_^

(I really need to get back to reading the Gospel regularly. I am terrible.)

Take animism. Primitive people felt a need to acknowledge the sacredness of life in their surroundings. Maybe they hoped to maintain friendly relations with their surroundings to aid in their struggle for survival. For primitive people there was no Problem of Suffering. They suffered, but I suspect they didn't see a need to explain the existence of suffering. Maybe I'm wrong though. I suppose in many ways primitive people are not that different from modern people. Do you know if the Problem of Suffering is addressed in the religions of primitive people who were discovered by and studied by modern anthropologists?

Hmm. I'm trying to look it up, but all I'm getting on Google are anti-theistic rants. ^_^ So no, I don't know.

I would be surprised if it really came up in indigenous religions, since it's a much more abstract concept. I suppose you could kind of see something like it in the polytheistic drive to appease the gods--bargaining with deities as a way to ward off suffering, so maybe it could take a similar form in purely animistic cultures as well? I don't think you're going to see a more sophisticated take on it before the beginning of literature, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yytz6

Muslim
Jun 26, 2019
Versailles
✟22,158.00
Country
France
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
With the help of Allah (Subhaanahu wa ta'ala), I don't need to make a conscious effort. I am already convinced of my faith. It cannot be taken away as it is proven to be true.

As to how to keep in close connection to Allah (Subhaanahu wa ta'ala), we have our ways of worship already dictated. They are sufficient and nothing can be added to them.

Upvote 0

Temirlan

Jun 28, 2019
Almaty
✟5,058.00
Country
Kazakhstan
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
This is one of those questions asked in an area of the forum where the very people being discussed (in this case, those of other faiths) have insufficient privileges to reply.

So, I'm sharing it here where a more well-rounded treatment of the topic can take place, if anyone of another faith feels inclined to chime in on it.

I might contribute myself, once I can get more caffeine into my system (which probably won't be until the drywall-repairs taking place between me and the kitchen are done :yawn:).

From original thread, "How do believers in other faiths keep faith?"

Meteorim said:

It is said that God gives us the power/strength to believe. Or that God works faith in us and that without the work of the Holy Sprit non of us would believe.
How does this work for other religions? For instance, there are 1 billion Mulsims who are pretty sure of their faith. How do they believe without the Holy Spirit?

I don't adhere to any faith. Surely, there are many things I believe, there's no way around it. Faith tends to fill in all the blanks in our knowledge, which can be very helpful at times. Because I am opposed to dogmatism, my faith changes from day to day, and over time it evolves, as new insights and new knowledge is obtained. Overall, I try to fight faith as the biggest deception ever - as any assumptions about things we don't know are only assumptions, and the truth can actually be something very different. I try to clean my mind of untruths and things I believe in, and challenge any and all pre-conceptions, any taught ideas or superficial conclusions. It's best to know what little you know, and to treat the rest honestly as "I don't know", instead of lying to yourselves and others about actually knowing and understanding those things by faith. In short, I don't keep, but fight my faith as much as I can, though it's very difficult.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
With the help of Allah (Subhaanahu wa ta'ala), I don't need to make a conscious effort. I am already convinced of my faith. It cannot be taken away as it is proven to be true.
So what proof do you see for whatever it is you have faith to believe?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The message of Muhammad (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) and the Qur'an. The Qur'an is his greatest miracle.
Can you summarize what you see as the essentials? What is the purpose of Islam? What is the goal of Muslims?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yytz6

Muslim
Jun 26, 2019
Versailles
✟22,158.00
Country
France
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Can you summarize what you see as the essentials? What is the purpose of Islam? What is the goal of Muslims?
Only Allah (Subhaanahu wa ta'ala) knows the ultimate purpose of Islam. I suppose you could say, among many other things you could say about it, that the goal of Islam is to show people the path to Jannah. It gives guidance to individuals as well as to societies. Ultimately to the whole mankind.

The goal of Muslims is the afterlife.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It is said that God gives us the power/strength to believe. Or that God works faith in us and that without the work of the Holy Sprit non of us would believe.

The Holy Spirit is also frequently mentioned in Baha'i Writings... Just a rough result of checking references to the Holy Spirit in Baha'i sources there are over 2,000 references. One of the first references I came across was from Abdul-Baha the eldest Son of Baha'u'llah when He was visiting London around 1911:

"O NOBLE friends; seekers after God! Praise be to God! Today the light of Truth is shining upon the world in its abundance; the breezes of the heavenly garden are blowing throughout all regions; the call of the Kingdom is heard in all lands, and the breath of the Holy Spirit is felt in all hearts that are faithful. The Spirit of God is giving eternal life. In this wonderful age the East is enlightened, the West is fragrant, and everywhere the soul inhales the holy perfume. The sea of the unity of mankind is lifting up its waves with joy, for there is real communication between the hearts and minds of men. The banner of the Holy Spirit is uplifted, and men see it, and are assured with the knowledge that this is a new day."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 19
Bahá'í Reference Library - ‘Abdu’l-Bahá in London, Pages 19-20

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0