newburgh
✟115,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have been commanded to love God with all our heart, soul and mind, and to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. In loving God, we would be loving ourselves in a godlike manner, living toward rejecting sin and thereby denying ourselves of sinful behavior. When Jesus tells his disciples in Matthew 16:24 to deny themselves and follow him, he is talking about denying the things that would draw them away from God. Which leaves us with loving ourselves as an extension of what God wants and what He would approve of.

We were wonderfully made from God’s Blessing; we are His workmanship, and as we live our lives in a godly manner, His Blessings on us continue. Any situation we approach should be with a question: what would God do if He were in our shoes? What would He do if He were in our shoes and we had a household that we needed to provide for, or if there were people among us who were poor and needy, or we were elected and appointed officials looking after those within our jurisdiction and our sovereign country, or there were people who needed our love in other ways?

When we believe in ourselves through God, God is our sword and shield no matter what situation we’re faced with. There may be others who are more assertive or who have differing opinions, but if we believe in ourselves through God we can hold fast. There may be others who want to wipe us off the face of the earth, but if we believe in ourselves through God, they can take our bodies, but they can’t take our souls. And 2 Timothy 3:12 warns us that whoever desires to live a godly life will be persecuted. But if we remain steadfast in our belief in ourselves through God, those who persecute us cannot persecute our souls.

As Ephesians 5:1 says, “be imitators of God, as beloved children.”

Reactions: Sarah G

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
When we believe in ourselves through God, God is our sword and shield no matter what situation we’re faced with.
Scripture reference to this, please?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
When we believe in ourselves through God, God is our sword and shield no matter what situation we’re faced with.
Make this alone your boast.
2 Corinthians 12:
And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities,
that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions,
in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Make this alone your boast.
2 Corinthians 12:
And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities,
that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions,
in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
That does not answer how this has anything to do with 'believing in yourself', producing, as a result, God being our 'sword and shield'. In fact, your reference seems to me to imply the opposite.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That does not answer how this has anything to do with 'believing in yourself', producing, as a result, God being our 'sword and shield'. In fact, your reference seems to me to imply the opposite.
I am not the OP Mark. My reference does imply the opposite. Should I give you an agree? No,
you owe me one, haha. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
  • Friendly
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There may be others who are more assertive or who have differing opinions, but if we believe in ourselves through God we can hold fast.

Unless we are wrong. The we should listen to others opinions. They might be angels.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
There may be others who are more assertive or who have differing opinions, but if we believe in ourselves through God we can hold fast.
What does that even mean —"believe in ourselves through God"?

Upvote 0