USA
✟29,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Forgive me for this silly post but I'm a little freaking out now. I ordered a small bag of this sugar. I thought it was for everything to use (coffee, tea, baking, cooking, etc). But I found out it's mainly for brewing beer. Ok no big deal with that since I can give it away. However, while I was tasting it, I saw a warning say "this product can expose you to chemicals such as acrylamide which is known to cause cancer". I researched it and I think it only refers to if you bake or boil it at very high temperature(?) However, I'm still worried b/c I put that piece of sugar which may be a problem. Is it or is it not? If this thread sounds rubbish I apologize again

Last edited:

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Brewing sugar will likely be mostly glucose, where table sugar is sucrose. Other than that any kind of high temperature cooking with sugar is likely to form trace amounts of acrylamide, and that includes any kind of cooking of anything the contains carbohydrate, such as a potato.

Bottom line is it will make your coffee taste a bit funny, but unless you fried it before eating it there wont be an acrylamide in it, and if you did fry it before eating it the amount of acrylamide will be well within the rda.

Reactions: Aquatic Waves
Upvote 0