Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
they seem to be competing now so we save quite a bit by going the grocery store who gives us the coupons that month

This seems bit silly on a thread meant for well off people buying Audi A3`s and the following customer suck up and how gratifying it feels ?

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This seems bit silly on a thread meant for well off people buying Audi A3`s and the following customer suck up and how gratifying it feels ?

huh?
don't understand what you're trying to expess

he got a free lunch....I save more than that with coupons

plus who needs lots of money for free stuff ?
my husband negotiates all the time even at big box stores

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
huh?
don't understand what you're trying to expess

OP is asking how do other rich people get sucked up by sales persons etc. after they have made hefty financial purchases from them like Audi A3.

You are saying you get -17% off your package of oatmeals when you go buy them when it is a coupon day.

There is a difference.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you're right!

he only got a meal while I've saved hundreds, lol

and that's why we have no mortgage and no debt
we're frugal

I never realised how stressed I was about having a mortgage until I didn't have one.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
we're frugal

I believe frugality is its own reward. I went through a spell where I assumed being frugal meant buying cheap. But, I learned that sometimes (often times?) there is a reason something is cheap. No free lunch, right? So, I am now willing to spend a bit more for something well-made that will last. Nonetheless, I still like to find a deal!

Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So, I am now willing to spend a bit more for something well-made that will last. Nonetheless, I still like to find a deal!

Chadrho,

The biggest gain in life is time. Its a commodity few count. I appreciate well made items but I don’t spends hours looking for deals or travel miles to save a few dollars. The cost includes the time I’ve taken away from more profitable pursuits.

I look for ways to amplify my ROI for time. That’s the area I’m always tweaking to see what I can shift or add to my plate to move me in the direction I want to go.

I find bargains on occasion through my deal site and I have alerts set up through Amazon for price targets. I employ strategic gift requests for things I’d never buy (at full price) or can’t justify at the moment. I fund a lot of things this way and my family invests in my calling which blesses them in turn. :)

~Bella

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
My favorite line from A Man Called Ove is his comment when he sees an Audi:

“Four zeros on the front and a fifth behind the wheel.”

Oh for Pete's sake, they're making an American remake with Tom Hanks.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I look for ways to amplify my ROI for time. That’s the area I’m always tweaking to see what I can shift or add to my plate to move me in the direction I want to go.

Wise consideration. A limited resource upon which all else depends (in this world). I could always manage time better. Or, at least, that is the way it feels. Even as I type, I feel like there is something else I need to do. :) And, there is. But, I do try to make time for living.

One has to work and save and such. It's a necessary part of prudence and wise living. But, I want to live! I want to enjoy, within reason, the life I have been given. I have seen older folks (mostly men of an older generation-who have been retiring in the last decade or so) virtually lost without the "job." It's heartbreaking because it took a lifetime to get there, so it's not easily undone in a moment. I consciously try to value time not engaged in pursuing the mundane things necessary for life.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,383.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good for you,
I wonder if much of the problems today are not caused by, "Buy today pay tomorrow."

Credit produces more money, paying cash doesn't.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wise consideration. A limited resource upon which all else depends (in this world). I could always manage time better. Or, at least, that is the way it feels. Even as I type, I feel like there is something else I need to do. :) And, there is. But, I do try to make time for living.

One has to work and save and such. It's a necessary part of prudence and wise living. But, I want to live! I want to enjoy, within reason, the life I have been given. I have seen older folks (mostly men of an older generation-who have been retiring in the last decade or so) virtually lost without the "job." It's heartbreaking because it took a lifetime to get there, so it's not easily undone in a moment. I consciously try to value time not engaged in pursuing the mundane things necessary for life.

I solved that problem...I didn't retire. :)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So last year the wife and I bought an Audi A3. We paid in cash, because I had the cash available and financing is for chumps

Anyhoo, to mark the 1 year anniversary of buying an Audi my Audi dealer sent us a free wine tasting and lunch for 2 at a local winery, no strings attached.

This thread is for other well off members of this forum to post their stories of getting even more stuff on top of the stuff they just buy anyway.

"Them that has, gets."

It's a biblical principle. :bow:

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,146.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Credit produces more money, paying cash
doesn't.

For the one giving credit maybe.

According to Jewish code of law it is not allowed to charge intrest or pay intrest, Jews between.

In past times when Jews were not permited to take up a profession or make a livlihood in anyway,
lending with intrest was adopted.

But Jews between is a no-no.

But apart from that, lending cash to enable someone to start a project is one thing,

But today it is about having the latest gadget,
you don,t have the money to buy it,
no problem, take it and start paying back later.

And then when either the novelty has worn off or a newer gadget is on the market, one is left with monthly installments.
And in some cases, junk.

There is a lot of whining about enviroment today,

but how much is not caused by consumerism?

The most sucsessful door to door salesman was asked once what his secret was,

He answered, "I just ask if they have seen what their next door nieghbour has bought."

Don,t know if it is true, but very possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
But, I want to live! I want to enjoy, within reason, the life I have been given. I have seen older folks (mostly men of an older generation-who have been retiring in the last decade or so) virtually lost without the "job."

My conception of purposeful living doesn’t include retirement. Old age may require a redistribution of time and activities. But the notion of closing shop at 67 and winging it until I die is not a reality I’d consider.

Each season has its focus and aging is no different. Developing a vision and mission statement for your life helps you address each stage with intention and something to work towards.

It's heartbreaking because it took a lifetime to get there, so it's not easily undone in a moment. I consciously try to value time not engaged in pursuing the mundane things necessary for life.

Some people want downtime. Others pursue meaningful goals that inspire them. I’m chasing legacy. All that I do has a larger purpose that goes beyond myself. That drives me onward. :)

~Bella

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some people want downtime. Others pursue meaningful goals that inspire them. I’m chasing legacy. All that I do has a larger purpose that goes beyond myself. That drives me onward. :)

~Bella

The Jimmy Carter Syndrome (just made that up). I like it!

• Haha
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I always get taken to dinner by our broker when he's in town. And when we visit our niece in GA, where he's based. Which is usually a couple of times a year. Any place we want to go--plain or fancy. Cost is no object.

Of course, we're ultimately paying for it through the management fees on our accounts.

BTW: anyone who uses a credit card should only use a cash rewards card. But obviously, pay it off every month--never run a balance. That way--at least in theory--you can earn money using the card. Which is how it should be. The merchant pays the card issuer a couple of per cent on each transaction. So it's right that the card company should rebate some of that back to the cardholder. OTOH, the price you pay for goods and services may be a little higher to cover the merchant's expenses. So it might be a wash. But I don't like carrying much cash around. And plastic is very convenient, especially when traveling.

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I always get taken to dinner by our broker when he's in town. And when we visit our niece in GA, where he's based. Which is usually a couple of times a year. Any place we want to go--plain or fancy. Cost is no object.

Of course, we're ultimately paying for it through the management fees on our accounts.

BTW: anyone who uses a credit card should only use a cash rewards card. But obviously, pay it off every month--never run a balance. That way--at least in theory--you can earn money using the card. Which is how it should be. The merchant pays the card issuer a couple of per cent on each transaction. So it's right that the card company should rebate some of that back to the cardholder. OTOH, the price you pay for goods and services may be a little higher to cover the merchant's expenses. So it might be a wash. But I don't like carrying much cash around. And plastic is very convenient, especially when traveling.

In all but a few places you pay the same whether cash or credit card. Most retailers aren't going to fool around giving cash buyers a discount. I do get a 5% discount from my dentist for paying cash however. And I do have a pretty good 'rewards' credit card.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In all but a few places you pay the same whether cash or credit card. Most retailers aren't going to fool around giving cash buyers a discount. I do get a 5% discount from my dentist for paying cash however. And I do have a pretty good 'rewards' credit card.

Sure, most all businesses charge every customer, cash or credit, the same. But that price might be inflated slightly to cover the transaction fees paid to the card company.

In today's economy, pretty much everyone needs a credit card. At least to establish a credit score. But never run a balance. Credit card interest is ruinous.

Upvote 0