Being sensitive to other denominations....

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, sorry; after I posted, I realized that this is the Non-denominational group. :oops:

You could still phrase it as "I think so-and-so; is that how the Presbyterians view it?", if the person you're talking with has a denominational label in their profile, or if you're in one of the forums that is identified with a denomination.

See I've come across that issue so many times, not realizing which forum the post is, im just focus on discussing whatever topic catches my eye on the feed.

And I'll try that technique, thanks so much! :D

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
im a non-denom, so how is that going to work?

It doesn't really matter, just be willing to learn from other groups on their terms, how the doctrines and practices work together for them. That's important to understand if you want to be able to relate to people of a different faith.

Your church has traditions, customs, and beliefs, even if it is just one church with no formal ties to any others. In the old days they had community churches that were "non-denominational", but they usually followed a tradition of some sort even if was eclectic. Most non-denom churches today are no different.

Pietism and Puritanism are actually very influential traditions in American Protestantism. So was the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement, to a lesser extent. Even many non-denominational churches are influenced by movements such as Pietism, etc., so it might be worth reading up on their history and understanding why they believe, and why you believe, what you do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, often apparently for deceptive purposes/ motives ,
wittingly or not.
Heh, for me putting any label except "Christian" would be inaccurate. I haven't been able to find a denomination without significant errors.

Though I have much agreement with Anabaptist Wiki version, I don't know enough about your doctrines. I'm surely not afraid to offend anyone by quoting Christ our Lord.

Aren't we Christians?

We should fear God.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The point is to respect them. For example, JW and I (when catholic; they moved) had good convo. All christianity. I Understood and took time to understand them as christians. They tried to understand me as friends as well even though they felt i was displeasing god. Its not there right to judge. Not my right. Relationship is between that person and christ. As soon as one says "they arent christian" it isolates peers.

Being sensitive is the point of the thread. Even though you disagree it doesnt change that person's relationship with christ and scripture; no fake christians all growing in christ. For me to see otherwise even now is totally against my morals.

Respect. Acknowlege bias. Start with scripture.

I don't show disrespect. I get along with my neighbors and some of my unbelieving relatives; but my parents and grandparents didn't value family and some of the family won't speak to others. My mother's first cousin disowned her only child and decided to never speak to my mother or any of my mother's children again.
Smiley_Shrug.jpg

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
See I've come across that issue so many times, not realizing which forum the post is, im just focus on discussing whatever topic catches my eye on the feed.

And I'll try that technique, thanks so much! :D

Same here.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are real Christians scattered throughout denominational and non-denominational churches made with human hands. Real Christians all belong to the same Church, and it isn't a building made with human hands. The Church which is the Body of Christ is the ONLY TRUE CHURCH, and The Lord Jesus Christ Himself is the Head over His Church. Yes, it is His Church - He paid for each member with His own blood, and each member is His purchased possession - belonging to Him for eternity. All of the members of the Body of Christ are Saved, so there are no pretenders or false-professors in The Church Which is the Body of Christ. This is a beautiful Mystery taught by the Apostle Paul.

If you're still thinking about denominations and non-denominations, you aren't thinking about this beautiful Mystery yet. Belonging to Christ is the only way to become a member of the ONE TRUE CHURCH.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If one finds their place with the Bible-only Christians, then the issue for discussion among them might be: is one taking verses out of context and misapplying them, etc.; or is one adding man's innovations or deleting Bible verses, etc. I think one who truly values a "non-denom." position would want to be on the ground of so-called "sola Scriptura" (Bible-only) in the real sense. When dealing with the denominated sects, I think we should only introduce one to biblical fellowship, but allow others to hold whatever they wish and not press them further.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For example only many dont consider JW and catholics as christian. Both believe in god. Botn the divinity of christ.

JWs are not Christians. They deny the deity of Christ.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There are real Christians scattered throughout denominational and non-denominational churches made with human hands. Real Christians all belong to the same Church, and it isn't a building made with human hands. The Church which is the Body of Christ is the ONLY TRUE CHURCH, and The Lord Jesus Christ Himself is the Head over His Church. Yes, it is His Church - He paid for each member with His own blood, and each member is His purchased possession - belonging to Him for eternity. All of the members of the Body of Christ are Saved, so there are no pretenders or false-professors in The Church Which is the Body of Christ. This is a beautiful Mystery taught by the Apostle Paul.

If you're still thinking about denominations and non-denominations, you aren't thinking about this beautiful Mystery yet. Belonging to Christ is the only way to become a member of the ONE TRUE CHURCH.

I don't want to think about denominations, i didn't even know so much of them existed until I came to this site, lol. I just put "non-denom" for the sake of clarity for others since the site do cater to denominations.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you discuss scriptures or approach topics with those of other denominations without being a stumbling-block?

Where I know we have common ground, and I'm on their turf, I stay on the common ground.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
JWs are not Christians. They deny the deity of Christ.

I have different views since I dont have and never had bias over other peoples relationship with christ (both protestant and all luturgical denominations). My point is respect others who differ and dont accuse anyone for not having the "correct" relationship with christ. Its rude and it isolates other christians because of it. Its and us. vs. them rather than we. I dont see that as a healthy biblical view. Christ died for all who believed. Its one of many reasons I left. Why be christian if 80% of the protestant world hates you, I asked. Hate is not part of the body of christ; it drives people away from him. It went deeper than that but it harmed my soul regardless.

How do you discuss scriptures or approach topics with those of other denominations without being a stumbling-block?​

Respect. Remove bias. Start with scripture.

Never judge one's relationship with christ. Never.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you post on a section of this forum reserved for certain members, it's not about Truth in the abstract sense, it's about good order and etiquette. In my case, I was asking a question about my denomination's official teaching on a particular issue. It was not an invitation to any and all possible opinions, I just wanted to know what my church taught.

If you study Christian history and theology as I have, in as much depth (I've devoted years of my life to it, only to put it at rest in the past couple of years), you will realize there are many ways to interpret the Bible, it is not self-evident there is only one interpretation. Each group reads the Bible with particular presuppositions or assumptions about how it should be read. Even people that believe they have none tend to read the Bible with presuppositions.

I'm sorry you found my attitude abrasive. I've grown tired of the debate style of many Christians on this forum. I should not have to have the integrity of my faith questioned when I was looking for guidance from within my faith, my fellowship, which is not just an individual belief but a corporate confession spanning centuries and millions of people. I trust only my church and my pastor to teach me in matters of the Bible and salvation, as an ultimate authority. Because they have earned that trust. I know their fruit, and it is good.

In every other domain of human experience, that makes perfect sense, but somehow when it comes to religion in the US, too many Christians feel they have the right, as an individual, to challenge the heart of my faith, even if I don't know them from Adam, and even if they know very little about my faith. Can you see how I might take that a bit personally?

I did not warn you earlier you were on a Lutheran section because I do not believe in prematurely closing down conversations, and it tends to not matter because many people do not respect the rules anyways. And the forums are always open for seekers, friendly discussion (not debate), and people who are willing to learn about what each faith tradition teaches.

I'm confused. I usually just look at the most recent posted questions. If they are were in a certain denomination, I apologize. I am not sure how I would know. Maybe it would be better if we couldn't see closed clubs conversations! This particular blog didn't appear to be started by you, it says at the top it was in the non-denominational area and says another person started it. Why would you, if you follow the Bible, choose not to privately approach me via email FIRST and if I continued to invade your private area, then call me about publicly when you didn't want to do it before when I was doing something that offended you--like according to Matthew 18?

I understand. I clearly think of things differently. I don't believe in denominations. Paul spoke against them. We are supposed to have One God and Father of all, One Lord Jesus Christ, and One Holy Spirit. We are all supposed to be of the same body, aren't we? From the very beginning of protestantism, we have had splits. Someone recently told me that we now have 30,000 denominations. I don't have the time to verify that claim. So if someone who considers him or herself orthodox, lutheran, presbyterian, methodist, baptist, pentacostal, non-denominational, charismatic, and so on, is truly following the One God, The One Lord, and the One Holy Spirit, why shouldn't we be able to discuss issues--if we are all truly Christians? After all, even the original apostles and Paul had disagreements and had to work through them.

What if I am wrong or what if the lutheran is wrong? Shouldn't the one who is wrong be able to find out before their life is over, despite their prejudice toward what they started out believing? I don't believe in accidents (since God woke me up), so what happens if every interaction was an opportunity--for our hearts to be challenged in an area with the intent that we become more secure or less secure in our positions as a result of seeking the only One True and Living God on the topic--instead of the opinions of men? If I block out everyone who doesn't believe what I believe, how do I open myself up to challenge--just in case I am wrong? But, to think I'm not entitled to feel strongly about my understanding is equally errant. If we don't feel strongly about what we believe, then we don't really believe it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So many people are non-denominational. My son told me that that means they're Baptist leaning or charismatic. To me, it means I don't know what they teach and believe.
In the case of members who call themselves non-denominational, your son is right--as concerns those who belong to a congregation that is unaffiliated, such as many megachurches are. But its also used by people who disdain church membership, cannot decide, or just think that "Jesus" is all they want to commit to.

And then there are the people who choose Christian, which tells us even less. I don't know why that one is even offered as a choice.

Lastly, it is true that there are some who are in the category yeshuaslavejeff referred to in post #10.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have different views since I dont have and never had bias over other peoples relationship with christ (both protestant and all luturgical denominations). My point is respect others who differ and dont accuse anyone for not having the "correct" relationship with christ. Its rude and it isolates other christians because of it. Its and us. vs. them rather than we. I dont see that as a healthy biblical view. Christ died for all who believed....

--who believed...what?

That's the question. Believing in Christ as the Son of God and as Savior is one thing. Believing in Jesus of Nazareth as a human who taught some admirable ideas (like Gandhi or Martin Luther King perhaps) is quite a different matter.

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
--who believed...what?

That's the question. Believing in Christ as the Son of God and as Savior is one thing. Believing in Jesus of Nazareth as a human who taught some admirable ideas (like Gandhi or Martin Luther King perhaps) is quite a different matter.

It is between that person and christ and no one else.

Being sensitive to other denominations doesnt mean you need to agree. Its how you conduct your behavior, your actions, and what you say. Ive seen people come to christ because the body of christ welcomed them, gave then tools to learn scripture and practice, and so forth. Peoples faith grew when the body doesnt isolate who they Think are christian and they do not.

I dont understand your point, though? Some people follow because of external ideals, some internal, some are devoted to what they do because its an expression of their love for christ. Some follow by reading, feeling what they read will push them to action. Some go by their faith that confirms the bible true not like others who say the other way around.

I have no bias and negativity with people who follow christ. It does not matter the denomination and how they define god's divinity. All focus on the bible and its not my place nor anyone else to say what god told them and you is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Why would you, if you follow the Bible, choose not to privately approach me via email FIRST and if I continued to invade your private area, then call me about publicly when you didn't want to do it before when I was doing something that offended you--like according to Matthew 18?

I rarely use private messages, but I will try to keep your preferences in mind in the future.

I don't believe in denominations. Paul spoke against them.

I'm not Lutheran because I love denominations. I'm Lutheran because non-denominational churches, in my area, are not ones that I could, in good conscience, join.

I'm a Christian first, Lutheran second. But it is still a meaningful label.

We are supposed to have One God and Father of all, One Lord Jesus Christ, and One Holy Spirit. We are all supposed to be of the same body, aren't we?

If it bothers you enough, you can always join the Catholic church, since this is usually the line they give as to why Protestants should "Come home".

Someone recently told me that we now have 30,000 denominations.

That doesn't mean 30,000 different religions. Many of those splits are down to church politics and have nothing to do with beliefs or practices.

I don't have the time to verify that claim. So if someone who considers him or herself orthodox, lutheran, presbyterian, methodist, baptist, pentacostal, non-denominational, charismatic, and so on, is truly following the One God, The One Lord, and the One Holy Spirit, why shouldn't we be able to discuss issues--if we are all truly Christians?

For the sake of good order: it has been found that religious traditions here need "safe spaces" so that discussion can take place without debate.

After all, even the original apostles and Paul had disagreements and had to work through them.

The disagreements have only gotten greater.

What if I am wrong or what if the lutheran is wrong? Shouldn't the one who is wrong be able to find out before their life is over, despite their prejudice toward what they started out believing?

If Lutherans are wrong, then I am a miserable creature indeed.

I do not believe it is essential to find the "one true church". Our salvation does not depend on what we have done, but what on Christ did for us, without merit or participation on our part. If you believe that Jesus Christ is your Savior and desire to live a life of service to God and to your neighbor, then that is sufficient for me to be convinced you are saved.

If we don't feel strongly about what we believe, then we don't really believe it.

This is more of a Romanticist notion in the modern age, reflected in many churches influenced by Pietism, but it's not true. People can believe things as true without evoking strong feelings. Certainly as Lutherans we would want to emphasize that the assurance of our faith is not dependent on our feelings

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is between that person and christ and no one else..
No, it isn't. If the person in question felt that way, he would not state an affiliation but would leave that entry blank. By answering/choosing, he is giving up anonymity on that matter and, in so doing, making it be between himself and the rest of us.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Heh, for me putting any label except "Christian" would be inaccurate. I haven't been able to find a denomination without significant errors.

Though I have much agreement with Anabaptist Wiki version, I don't know enough about your doctrines. I'm surely not afraid to offend anyone by quoting Christ our Lord.

Aren't we Christians?

We should fear God.
In this section, as someone else just noted recently, there are denominational 'rules' - and even though others are allowed to (and have recently) posted very grievous and fatal (to faith) errors, I don't know within the 'rules' how to expose them (by Scripture) in this section of the forum. When this was done in the past, simple and direct from Scripture, their mouths were stopped - they had nothing to reply to Scripture, so they complain and get those posting the truth of Scripture banned (often). Just like in Athens, the Apostles and disciples of Jesus were run out of town after they preached the TRUTH OF JESUS, HIS GOSPEL MESSAGE.

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If Lutherans are wrong, then I am a miserable creature indeed.
Why ?
They could be right, and you wrong,
or they could be wrong, and you wrong,
or they could be right, and you right,
or they could be wrong, and you right.
Right ?
or wrong ?
Either / any / way, why stay a miserable creature indeed, no matter who is right ? It is God Who Saves us, not some group.

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
No, it isn't. If the person in question felt that way, he would not state an affiliation but would leave that entry blank. By answering/choosing, he is giving up anonymity on that matter and, in so doing, making it be between himself and the rest of us.

It is the person's preference. Not all give their denomination. I do even though people hate Catholicism with a passion because my experience in the sacraments of Christ I can't just "write off." Yet, if you asked me what I repented to god about, I will not tell you. If you asked me what the Eucharist means to me, sure I can tell you. If you asked what I told jesus christ, no I would not.

It depends on the person. However, do you think someone else has a role in your salvation or just you and Christ?

Forgot

Christ died for all who believed in him to have everlasting life.

All my answers will come from scripture if you'd like me to quote. My point is respect not agreement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0