Being sensitive to other denominations....

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Being one who don't really associate with a denomination, its hard to keep in mind sometimes the theologies behind the denomination when discussing the Word of God. Being on this forum for only a few months, I'm realizing that there are so many denominations, that sometimes its hard to offend, because sometimes I don't know what ideals they uphold.

How do you discuss scriptures or approach topics with those of other denominations without being a stumbling-block?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How do you discuss scriptures or approach topics with those of other denominations without being a stumbling-block?
We cannot. As Jesus says, if anyone stands up for TRUTH, or takes a stand for Jesus, they will be kicked out of most groups on earth. (religious and secular)

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being one who don't really associate with a denomination, its hard to keep in mind sometimes the theologies behind the denomination when discussing the Word of God. Being on this forum for only a few months, I'm realizing that there are so many denominations, that sometimes its hard to offend, because sometimes I don't know what ideals they uphold.

Why would you be a stumbling block if you are sharing Truth? Jesus shared Truth without concern of offending. In some cases, it could be argued He knew He was offending. The same could be said of Peter, Stephen and Paul. If those who could be offended are true Christians, they shouldn't have a problem examining the Scriptures for themselves. And, if what their organization believes is wrong, one could be freed from a lie, because of your willingness to share the Truth.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

start out with the common ground stuff (Jesus saves) (God created us all) (Jesus died for us). Then slowly edge into other topics and into deeper parts of the truth that maybe they wouldn't listen to if you started with straight up (be holy) (gotta present our body as living sacrifice) (gotta obey commandments) (salvation) (gotta pray and study the word) etc. , that always seems to work for me personally.

That's also how you discuss politics too and try to persuade someone of something in that area. Start with the easy safe stuff..then get deeper into the controversial.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Paul tried very hard, in his letters, to get people to accept one another even though they had theological disagreements. Perhaps we can work on our own ability to tolerate the others who disagree with us.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I hear you; and this is why I feel that its inconsiderate of members NOT to post the denomination they belong to or identify with when filling out their profile. It leaves people like yourself uncertain of where theyre coming from and what they mean in half of their posts.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Most people have their minds made up. But when you don't know the differences, you're apt to make a mistake. You'll just have to learn as you go along or do some research online.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I hear you; and this is why I feel that its inconsiderate of members NOT to post the denomination they belong to or identify with when filling out their profile. It leaves people like yourself uncertain of where theyre coming from and what they mean in half of their posts.

So many people are non-denominational. My son told me that that means they're Baptist leaning or charismatic. To me, it means I don't know what they teach and believe.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes, often apparently for deceptive purposes/ motives ,
wittingly or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Paul tried very hard, in his letters, to get people to accept one another even though they had theological disagreements. Perhaps we can work on our own ability to tolerate the others who disagree with us.

Most theological differences matter.

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

From personal experience Id start with yourself. What things about other denomni. you may disagree with. Which do you agree. Are you presenting your interpretations as Truth? Are you open to hear the same Truth practiced in various ways.

Maybe do analytical prayer. For example only many dont consider JW and catholics as christian. Both believe in god. Botn the divinity of christ. How do you speak of your differences in a way it "may" show your differences that may mask your similarities as brothers and sisters in christ?

I live in a christian owned housinghome for elderly or disabled. We pray collectively regardless our denominations. If you can pray together the barriers are invisible.

Most christians i know and i know a lot respond to biblical convo. I spoke with JW as a catholic at the time and we didnt step on each others toes. Its hard but it shows christ doesnt descriminate; he died for all.

Respect, acknowledge bias, start with scripture.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
These are some of the churches to avoid:
In terms of number of adherents, nontrinitarian denominations comprise a small minority of modern Christianity. By far the three largest nontrinitarian Christian denominations are The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ("Mormons"), Jehovah's Witnesses and the Iglesia ni Cristo, though there are a number of other smaller groups, including Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, Dawn Bible Students, Living Church of God, Oneness Pentecostals, Members Church of God International, Unitarian Universalist Christians, The Way International, The Church of God International and the United Church of God.[6]
Nontrinitarianism - Wikipedia

What is a Foursquare Church?
(links to click on other denominations)

Some books about denominations (scroll down at this site to see other books on this topic):
The Complete Guide to Christian Denominations: Understanding the History, Beliefs, and Differences, Updated and Expanded

However, rather than confuse yourself, I'd concentrate on reading the Bible and going to a well-known denomination.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
From personal experience Id start with yourself. What things about other denomni. you may disagree with. Which do you agree. Are you presenting your interpretations as Truth? Are you open to hear the same Truth practiced in various ways.

Maybe do analytical prayer. For example only many dont consider JW and catholics as christian. Both believe in god. Botn the divinity of christ. How do you speak of your differences in a way it "may" show your differences that may mask your similarities as brothers and sisters in christ?

I live in a christian owned housinghome for elderly or disabled. We pray collectively regardless our denominations. If you can pray together the barriers are invisible.

Most christians i know and i know a lot respond to biblical convo. I spoke with JW as a catholic at the time and we didnt step on each others toes. Its hard but it shows christ doesnt descriminate; he died for all.

Respect, acknowledge bias, start with scripture.

I disagree. The Bible tells us Who God is, and to worship another God as non-Trinitarians do, is displeasing to the God of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I have a vast experience of many denominational theologies from my time on CF the first step is to absorb what others believe without the need to necessarily agree. And then form a means within yourself to be in agreement, and then take the attitude to "edify" and you'll find you won't get along with everyone, but people will appreciate you making the effort.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I disagree. The Bible tells us Who God is, and to worship another God as non-Trinitarians do, is displeasing to the God of the Bible.

The point is to respect them. For example, JW and I (when catholic; they moved) had good convo. All christianity. I Understood and took time to understand them as christians. They tried to understand me as friends as well even though they felt i was displeasing god. Its not there right to judge. Not my right. Relationship is between that person and christ. As soon as one says "they arent christian" it isolates peers.

Being sensitive is the point of the thread. Even though you disagree it doesnt change that person's relationship with christ and scripture; no fake christians all growing in christ. For me to see otherwise even now is totally against my morals.

Respect. Acknowlege bias. Start with scripture.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Why would you be a stumbling block if you are sharing Truth? Jesus shared Truth without concern of offending. In some cases, it could be argued He knew He was offending. The same could be said of Peter, Stephen and Paul. If those who could be offended are true Christians, they shouldn't have a problem examining the Scriptures for themselves. And, if what their organization believes is wrong, one could be freed from a lie, because of your willingness to share the Truth.

If you post on a section of this forum reserved for certain members, it's not about Truth in the abstract sense, it's about good order and etiquette. In my case, I was asking a question about my denomination's official teaching on a particular issue. It was not an invitation to any and all possible opinions, I just wanted to know what my church taught.

If you study Christian history and theology as I have, in as much depth (I've devoted years of my life to it, only to put it at rest in the past couple of years), you will realize there are many ways to interpret the Bible, it is not self-evident there is only one interpretation. Each group reads the Bible with particular presuppositions or assumptions about how it should be read. Even people that believe they have none tend to read the Bible with presuppositions.

I'm sorry you found my attitude abrasive. I've grown tired of the debate style of many Christians on this forum. I should not have to have the integrity of my faith questioned when I was looking for guidance from within my faith, my fellowship, which is not just an individual belief but a corporate confession spanning centuries and millions of people. I trust only my church and my pastor to teach me in matters of the Bible and salvation, as an ultimate authority. Because they have earned that trust. I know their fruit, and it is good.

In every other domain of human experience, that makes perfect sense, but somehow when it comes to religion in the US, too many Christians feel they have the right, as an individual, to challenge the heart of my faith, even if I don't know them from Adam, and even if they know very little about my faith. Can you see how I might take that a bit personally?

I did not warn you earlier you were on a Lutheran section because I do not believe in prematurely closing down conversations, and it tends to not matter because many people do not respect the rules anyways. And the forums are always open for seekers, friendly discussion (not debate), and people who are willing to learn about what each faith tradition teaches.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One possibility is to ask questions. "We Episcopalians do so-and-so; do Lutherans do it the same way?" or, "What is the Presbyterian view of so-and-so?" That way, you can learn from them, and (if the other person is polite enough to ask similar questions) they can learn from you.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
One possibility is to ask questions. "We Episcopalians do so-and-so; do Lutherans do it the same way?" or, "What is the Presbyterian view of so-and-so?" That way, you can learn from them, and (if the other person is polite enough to ask similar questions) they can learn from you.

im a non-denom, so how is that going to work?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
im a non-denom, so how is that going to work?
Yes, sorry; after I posted, I realized that this is the Non-denominational group. :oops:

You could still phrase it as "I think so-and-so; is that how the Presbyterians view it?", if the person you're talking with has a denominational label in their profile, or if you're in one of the forums that is identified with a denomination.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0