Being prochoice Christian conservative why is this seen as unusual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jr27cc

Sep 26, 2020
Elko
✟7,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ok so I have seen on here and Instagram often people conflate being pro choice as liberal. But I don't get why? I understand liberals make abortion their main issue but it's all a money thing for them. The abortion companies make a lot of money off of it so they want it to keep going which is ok I would prefer birth control being more effective rather than pushing abortion actually preventative care. But I see many conservatives who are pro choice. So why is it associated with being a conservative to be prolife?

I had an abortion 6 years ago. And all throughout my opinion on abortion has always been the same. I've never had any issue with my abortion in itself. I had no regrets. And my opinion on abortion is actually from my conservative inclinations. I am very much for the traditional family and keeping that intact. In my case my husband was and still is in prison and I didn't want to raise a child as a single mom. Abortion is a very good tool to limit single motherhood and to promote healthy families. I would never want it to be illegal because it keeps our society as a whole healthy. A lot of the time I hear from liberals they're like antipatriarchy antitraditional families feminism etc... I'm not at all for any other that I just agree on abortion I think for mostly different reasons. Basically different reasons same conclusion.

I have always identified as a religious Christian conservative and have never had any regrets or issues with my abortion . Yet online people keep this divided as prolife v prochoice and conservative v liberal respectively like they go hand in hand. Like being prochoice is anti religious traditions lawlessness and it get in the way of my Twitter following because I don't side with liberals but I agree on abortion. I only agree on abortion because I feel it's good family values and traditional standard family. You see to many people have kids in very dysfunctional situation like I did and the only remedy to me well the best one would be in many cases an abortion. So I'm very prochoice but I am very proud conservative traditional values as well

More than that it also is made to be like the main issue. So because I had an abortion I can't want to get a job or want national security or want morality in society. It's like I've always been a Christian conservative and I don't see any beliefs that I have outside of abortion being legal where I agree with liberal democrats. So idk how I'm supposed to support someone I completely disagree with? I am pro guns pro free of speech against antifa and blm pro smaller government and I. Not in favor of gay marriage. Yes I know Ruth bader gingsburgs death means another judge not similar and honestly I agree with her on abortion I'm completely in favor of planned Parenthood funding abortion and I'm overall pro choice but her having the most conservative judge replace her even on abortion won't make abortion illegal so why would that make me have to be a democrats? Why is prochoice/prolife so defining?

Last edited:

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The abortion companies make a lot of money off of it so they want it to keep going which is ok I would prefer birth control being more effective rather than pushing abortion actually preventative care.
But I see many conservatives who are pro choice. So why is it associated with being a conservative to be prolife?

Conservatism as a philosophy believes strongly in transcendent natural rights, the inalienable and God-given rights that our founding fathers talked about. The right to life, not surprisingly, is among these rights, along with the right to liberty and property.

Upvote 0

Jr27cc

Sep 26, 2020
Elko
✟7,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Conservatism as a philosophy believes strongly in transcendent natural rights, the inalienable and God-given rights that our founding fathers talked about. The right to life, not surprisingly, is among these rights, along with the right to liberty and property.
Yes I know that but I also think we have a right to property as well.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
?? I did mention property.

Did you mean to say that you are Conservative on some issues if not on all issues? If so, that's the way most people are, if we look closely enough.

However, what you asked looked to me to be about Conservatism itself, not whether what any of us labels himself or other people fits perfectly, so that's how I answered. :)

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok so I have seen on here and Instagram often people conflate being pro choice as liberal. But I don't get why? I understand liberals make abortion their main issue but it's all a money thing for them. The abortion companies make a lot of money off of it so they want it to keep going which is ok I would prefer birth control being more effective rather than pushing abortion actually preventative care. But I see many conservatives who are pro choice. So why is it associated with being a conservative to be prolife?

I had an abortion 6 years ago. And all throughout my opinion on abortion has always been the same. I've never had any issue with my abortion in itself. I had no regrets. And my opinion on abortion is actually from my conservative inclinations. I am very much for the traditional family and keeping that intact. In my case my husband was and still is in prison and I didn't want to raise a child as a single mom. Abortion is a very good tool to limit single motherhood and to promote healthy families. I would never want it to be illegal because it keeps our society as a whole healthy. A lot of the time I hear from liberals they're like antipatriarchy antitraditional families feminism etc... I'm not at all for any other that I just agree on abortion I think for mostly different reasons. Basically different reasons same conclusion.

I have always identified as a religious Christian conservative and have never had any regrets or issues with my abortion . Yet online people keep this divided as prolife v prochoice and conservative v liberal respectively like they go hand in hand. Like being prochoice is anti religious traditions lawlessness and it get in the way of my Twitter following because I don't side with liberals but I agree on abortion. I only agree on abortion because I feel it's good family values and traditional standard family. You see to many people have kids in very dysfunctional situation like I did and the only remedy to me well the best one would be in many cases an abortion. So I'm very prochoice but I am very proud conservative traditional values as well

More than that it also is made to be like the main issue. So because I had an abortion I can't want to get a job or want national security or want morality in society. It's like I've always been a Christian conservative and I don't see any beliefs that I have outside of abortion being legal where I agree with liberal democrats. So idk how I'm supposed to support someone I completely disagree with? I am pro guns pro free of speech against antifa and blm pro smaller government and I. Not in favor of gay marriage. Yes I know Ruth bader gingsburgs death means another judge not similar and honestly I agree with her on abortion I'm completely in favor of planned Parenthood funding abortion and I'm overall pro choice but her having the most conservative judge replace her even on abortion won't make abortion illegal so why would that make me have to be a democrats? Why is prochoice/prolife so defining?
Welcome! I had an abortion in my teens. I am 60 now and still carry the thorn in my side that appeared when I became a born again Christian. I ended up marrying the father and we had two more children. I always think of my first child , who we eliminated, as their older sibling. Though I am forgiven for my action, He will not let me forget.
For as many women who are like you, there are just as many women who are like me. The common denominator is we made our own choice and we will personally be responsible for that choice. This is the Christian way. Be blessed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess the most basic way I can explain it is, conservatives believe that life begins at conception or very near to conception and therefore the fetus as a right to life.

There may be more to it than that, I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

Jr27cc

Sep 26, 2020
Elko
✟7,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
?? I did mention property.

Did you mean to say that you are Conservative on some issues if not on all issues? If so, that's the way most people are, if we look closely enough.

However, what you asked looked to me to be about Conservatism itself, not whether what any of us labels himself or other people fits perfectly, so that's how I answered. :)
Yeah I'm conservative on all issues that's what I mean it just really doesn't make sense to me that a lot of especially liberals act like if you are prochoice then you must be a literal then when we talk about the issues get upset because I'm a conservative. My reason for being prochoice is because I'm a conservative so I never understood why on an issue like abortion is seen as so defining especially for conservatives and republican many are prochoice I understand liberals and democrats try to alienate anyone who is lsightly prolife but I have never understood that for conservatives when it does seen we have more variety.

Yes I believe in right to property that is in part why I'm prochoice and because I beleibe in traditional family values.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Once a society allows the degree of selfishness necessary for abortion anything becomes possible. And that is exactly what we have been seeing playing out in terms of lawlessness.

But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, - 2Ti 3:1-2​

Once we adopt a mindset that justifies abortion, it sears our conscience and skews our entire moral grid. Very fundamentally America suffers from a lack of goodness, as we can see graphically in the senseless demonic violence, looting, and burning of our cities.

"America is great because America is good; and if America ever ceases to be good, it will cease to be great" -d'Toqueville​

There are fiscal conservatives who don't see this. They tend more toward libertarianism. But conservatives with their spiritual eyes open do see that abortion, the blatant denial of life for innocents we should be protecting, is the cornerstone of a "culture of death", as one pope called it, that will affect everything else eventually. Personal values, the family, cultural values all will fall eventually unless we repent as a nation of this great evil.

Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You made your choice. I do not judge you for it. I hate abortion, but I do not hate women who have undergone them. I know several women who have had abortions, some more than one. I've counseled many.

For me, in my pro-life stance, I believe their are other options for someone who just doesn't want the baby or doesn't want to be a single mother. Adoption is one of them.

Also, for me, and I understand that this is not you - I feel that being pro-life comes from my Christian beliefs about life and death. And being a Christian in American automatically mean you are a conservative.

My Christian faith came first. My pro-life stance sprang FROM my Christian beliefs, not vice versa.

Where one stands on abortion is VERY defining because being a Christian or not is VERY defining.

I'm 59 years old. And that line in the sand that separates the left from the right gets sharper every year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
it just really doesn't make sense to me that a lot of especially liberals act like if you are prochoice then you must be a literal then when we talk about the issues get upset because I'm a conservative.

I am middle of the road, conservative on some things, liberal in others. I just identify with Democrats more and therefore changed from being no party affiliation to Democrat this past voter's registration.

I would never say that you must be a liberal or Democrat because you believe in pro-choice, which I happen to do as well. My girlfriend who is much more a staunch Democrat than I and very liberal in most things, would not say that you must be a liberal if you believe in pro-choice. I don't know any Democrat that would feel that way, to be honest.

What I do believe however is that most pro-life people that I know aren't pro-life, but rather pro-fetus. Once the baby is born that is where their "pro" tends to stop.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

You forgot about the pursuit of happiness! It is not God's will to punish women by not giving them the right to decide for themselves (and their families) what will be their life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Freedom is not limited to one gender!!

Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You forgot about the pursuit of happiness! It is not God's will to punish women by not giving them the right to decide for themselves (and their families) what will be their life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Freedom is not limited to one gender!!

Abortion is not about gender. It's about the death of a baby. Where is the freedom in that?

I've counseled many women who have regretted their decision and those that have not but just wanted to talk about it. I'm the kind that gives a gentle and listening ear to these women and girls.

Trust me. Your assertion that abortion is all about the pursuit of happiness and "freedom" is a far cry from reality.

Upvote 0

Jr27cc

Sep 26, 2020
Elko
✟7,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Previous quote was to you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jr27cc

Sep 26, 2020
Elko
✟7,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! I had an abortion in my teens. I am 60 now and still carry the thorn in my side that appeared when I became a born again Christian. I ended up marrying the father and we had two more children. I always think of my first child , who we eliminated, as their older sibling. Though I am forgiven for my action, He will not let me forget.
For as many women who are like you, there are just as many women who are like me. The common denominator is we made our own choice and we will personally be responsible for that choice. This is the Christian way. Be blessed.
I don't see abortion as a sin personally as it's not specifically said in the Bible. But I do notice for myself I've rely wanted to have kids wirg my husband and but obviously can't and I mean that's the consequence of the life I live still I don't have regret or guilt over my actual abortion though but I am sorry for your grief and loss. And I mean GOD heals all so nothing is wrong with women who go to GOD about it in my view I have a very neutral view

Upvote 0

Jr27cc

Sep 26, 2020
Elko
✟7,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's the thing I don't see abortion as a sin though. But raising children with single parents with lawlessness and drugs etc is a sin to me and that's exactly who's looting burning acting a maniac is people from dysfunctional broken families

Once a society allows the degree of selfishness necessary for abortion anything becomes possible. And that is exactly what we have been seeing playing out in terms of lawlessness.

But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, - 2Ti 3:1-2​

Once we adopt a mindset that justifies abortion, it sears our conscience and skews our entire moral grid. Very fundamentally America suffers from a lack of goodness, as we can see graphically in the senseless demonic violence, looting, and burning of our cities.

"America is great because America is good; and if America ever ceases to be good, it will cease to be great" -d'Toqueville​

There are fiscal conservatives who don't see this. They tend more toward libertarianism. But conservatives with their spiritual eyes open do see that abortion, the blatant denial of life for innocents we should be protecting, is the cornerstone of a "culture of death", as one pope called it, that will affect everything else eventually. Personal values, the family, cultural values all will fall eventually unless we repent as a nation of this great evil.

Upvote 0

Jr27cc

Sep 26, 2020
Elko
✟7,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You made your choice. I do not judge you for it. I hate abortion, but I do not hate women who have undergone them. I know several women who have had abortions, some more than one. I've counseled many.

For me, in my pro-life stance, I believe their are other options for someone who just doesn't want the baby or doesn't want to be a single mother. Adoption is one of them.

Also, for me, and I understand that this is not you - I feel that being pro-life comes from my Christian beliefs about life and death. And being a Christian in American automatically mean you are a conservative.

My Christian faith came first. My pro-life stance sprang FROM my Christian beliefs, not vice versa.

Where one stands on abortion is VERY defining because being a Christian or not is VERY defining.

I'm 59 years old. And that line in the sand that separates the left from the right gets sharper every year.
Yeah I understand Christian's can have different opinion different sects different beliefs

Upvote 0

Jr27cc

Sep 26, 2020
Elko
✟7,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am middle of the road, conservative on some things, liberal in others. I just identify with Democrats more and therefore changed from being no party affiliation to Democrat this past voter's registration.

I would never say that you must be a liberal or Democrat because you believe in pro-choice, which I happen to do as well. My girlfriend who is much more a staunch Democrat than I and very liberal in most things, would not say that you must be a liberal if you believe in pro-choice. I don't know any Democrat that would feel that way, to be honest.

What I do believe however is that most pro-life people that I know aren't pro-life, but rather pro-fetus. Once the baby is born that is where their "pro" tends to stop.
I notice that too sadly. :/

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
But raising children with single parents with lawlessness and drugs etc is a sin to me and that's exactly who's looting burning acting a maniac is people from dysfunctional broken families

As mentioned, I too am pro-choice, but for me, I am pro-choice because I believe in choice for everyone and I cannot force someone to choose for themselves what they would do.

I do however think you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I was raised by a single mom and by all counts, my relationship with my mother is dysfunctional to say the least. I am not out there looting or burning or acting like a maniac. Not all people who come from a single parent is like that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.