May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
John 17:22
And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

The gospels never have Jesus saying one mind. But the scoffers take "I and the Father are one" as being the same person.

Paul explains that "one" is of one mind, not being the same person.

Romans 12:16
Be of the same mind one toward another.

Romans 15:16
That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:2
Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

Philippians 2:5
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

2 Corinthians 13:11
Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

And Peter

1 Peter
Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Christ submitted His mind to that of the Father in order to do His Father's will. He did everything He had seen the Father do, and did likewise - one in will and one in example.

So his mind was separate first? Do you believe the mind and the spirit are two different things?

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So his mind was separate first? Do you believe the mind and the spirit are two different things?

His mind is separate, like His body, but one with the Father. By submitting His mind to the Father, He is submitting His spirit to the Father, and they are one - one in spirit and in truth - I believe this is what the scriptures you are referring to mean by one mind. I believe our consciousness is animated by our spirit, so no I don't believe our mind and our spirit are 2 different things. But I do believe our soul and our spirit are.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are we really to be “one” like Christ is one with God, because if that is true we can really be close to God while here on earth since the world is to know?

I have a hard time teaching this truth since as soon as a say something. I am asked: “Will how “one” are you with God?” Is everything I say, do and even think what God would do? The question is could it be, if I did not quench the Spirit?

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

No/yes/maybe, :confused: I think the mind is the soul of man. And if you set that mind on the flesh you are wrong, but if you set your mind on the Spirit you are right.

ROM 8:6 To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

But does the spirit have a mind? Apparently 'the Spirit' has one, but does that mean our 'spirit' does not?

ROM 8:27 And he who searches the hearts of men knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

Are the mind/spirit the same? If yes, then why does scripture make a distinction here?

2TH 2:2 that ye be not quickly shaken in mind, nor be troubled, neither through spirit,

Reactions: Rebecca Sue
Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

The gospels never have Jesus saying one mind. But the scoffers take "I and the Father are one" as being the same person.

That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

And Peter

1 Peter
Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

I think you have made an excellent point. When compared to the many verses that describe "being one" that clearly demonstrate a unity of purpose I have always found the interpretation of one being / one entity a faulty understanding of what the Bible states.

Good job.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No/yes/maybe, :confused: I think the mind is the soul of man. And if you set that mind on the flesh you are wrong, but if you set your mind on the Spirit you are right.

ROM 8:6 To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

But does the spirit have a mind? Apparently 'the Spirit' has one, but does that mean our 'spirit' does not?

ROM 8:27 And he who searches the hearts of men knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

Are the mind/spirit the same? If yes, then why does scripture make a distinction here?

2TH 2:2 that ye be not quickly shaken in mind, nor be troubled, neither through spirit,

Ah. Some good choice words, Hillsage. A separation indeed. The mind is the thinking process affected by both the flesh and the spirit (where the battle takes place, where visions and truth are evaluated). Paul told us what things to "think" on. (Philippians 4:8) And Christ included the mind in the first of his commandments of love towards God.

When the mind is clear, the spirit can be heard (not ours, but Truth's). If we feed it what people tell us to feed it, we will get what people want us to learn. So our choices come down to, which people do we want to follow, not what religion is correct.

Who do we follow to be one with Christ?

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
His mind is separate, like His body, but one with the Father. By submitting His mind to the Father, He is submitting His spirit to the Father, and they are one - one in spirit and in truth - I believe this is what the scriptures you are referring to mean by one mind. I believe our consciousness is animated by our spirit, so no I don't believe our mind and our spirit are 2 different things. But I do believe our soul and our spirit are.

1 Thess 5:23
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I have shown scripture within the Canon that shows how only Paul uses the mind in a "one" unison form. There are plenty more on just the mind.

In the non Canon (if one is interested) Mary asks Jesus:

Chapter 7
10) I said to Him, Lord, how does he who sees the vision see it, through the soul or through the spirit? 11) The Savior answered and said, He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind that is between the two that is what sees the vision

Now, Jesus wasn't a psychiatrist, but he knew how to answer Mary since he knew the vision giver, IMO. I find that the Canon just doesn't have enough to keep men from making their own assessment of what Christ taught.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Ah. Some good choice words, Hillsage.
:blush: Humble thanks.

A separation indeed. The mind is the thinking process affected by both the flesh and the spirit (where the battle takes place, where visions and truth are evaluated). And Christ included the mind in the first of his commandments of love towards God.
I 'kinda' think that when scripture tells us to "be not double minded", it might just also mean; let your spirit and your soul both be in agreement.

Paul told us what things to "think" on. (Philippians 4:8)
:amen: And did he not also tell us being 'wholly sanctified', included the 'whole soul' 1The 5:23? I wonder if our 'whole soul' 'just might' include the mind of our 'born again' spirit and the mind of our flesh???
When the mind is clear, the spirit can be heard (not ours, but Truth's).
I've begun to think that my 'holy born again spirit' is a "united one with the Lord" 1Cor 6:17. And by virtue of that 'oneness' I can truly "hear Truth's", if I can keep my mind clear of the noise of the world to hear 'my spirit'. I mean, according to scripture it has a tongue/language of its own and speaks 'to God' with a mind that 'my mind/understanding' is unaware of. Just my thinking at this point anyway. :)

If we feed it what people tell us to feed it, we will get what people want us to learn. So our choices come down to, which people do we want to follow, not what religion is correct.
While I do agree, is not religion made up of people? I'd 'more rather be' "led of the Sspirit" personally. Yes, I know there's also error in many who are saying that, but it is scriptural.

Who do we follow to be one with Christ?
Are we voting on this one. ;)

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting thoughs. How does this statement fit into these understandings?
"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."
Of course the Mormons have an easy answer. Just as some Christians who also believe in the pre-existence of human souls/spirits. But am not sure everyone in this thread fall into those two groups.

And how odd for Jesus to say something that apparently Mormons and a few Christians maintain is true for ALL of us when it seems He clearly meant that statement to distinguish Himself FROM All other humans.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."
Of course the Mormons have an easy answer. Just as some Christians who also believe in the pre-existence of human souls/spirits. But am not sure everyone in this thread fall into those two groups.

And how odd for Jesus to say something that apparently Mormons and a few Christians maintain is true for ALL of us when it seems He clearly meant that statement to distinguish Himself FROM All other humans.

I hope you're not playing with words.

Christ has been constant before the world began. He isn't saying "I am that I am" if that's what you're getting at.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."​
Fits my theology just like the following verse;

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, you are gods'?

This view is half right IMO. Spirits did, soul did not.

I don't get that impression at all. I think you are reading that into the verse. I read it in the context of what I've just posted. The spirit of Jesus (not the Holy Spirit) came from God, just like your spirit. "He is the father of spirits". I take that to mean my spirit came forth out 'of' His Spirit and in that context 'we, are Gods'. Just a personal opinion that works for me anyway. :idea:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 8, 2012
✟15,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

And Peter

1 Peter
I believe you're right, but digging a bit deeper what is it in some minds that find union with Christ while others are either unable or unwilling to unite?

My personal metaphysical take on this is that we are "one" with Christ to the degree we have prescriptive (value) truth in our essence (spirit or soul, depending on definitions) because Christ Jesus is Truth Himself (Jn 14:6). This view agrees with the definition that we are one in mind with Christ, while the mind falsified sufficient to be in darkness constitutes those who can't "hear" the Lord's words (Jn 8:43).

This is also consistent with Norah63's assessment, "We become what we behold. As a man thinketh so is he. Then praying as Jesus taught us we agree in union for our Fathers will in all things."

A truth-to-Truth union is a union of agreement which establishes relationship between man and God--or more accurately, between man and absolute Truth. My two cents anyway.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

No, He clearly meant that statement to refer to a specific scriptural passage. He was using scripture to clarify who He is.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, He clearly meant that statement to refer to a specific scriptural passage. He was using scripture to clarify who He is.
Actually that statement was His response to how He could have seen Abraham. And we should all note my question went unanswered. The theory presented here as I understood it is that all comments regarding Jesus being "one with" "one mind"...etc with the Father merely expressed the unity/closeness of a man with God.

So if Jesus can respond when asked how He could of seen Abraham, that He had existed BEfORE Abraham, how is that explained?

So in regard to this theory about what "Being One" means, is Jesus just a man and all men pre-existed in some form (waiting to be born as Mormons might say)?
Or is Jesus another god that existed prior to Abraham?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. . . Fits my theology just like the following verse;

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, you are gods'? . . .

You evidently do not understand what John 10:34, and Psalm 82:6 which Jesus quoted, actually says. It does not say what you seem to think it does.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

And Peter

1 Peter

Who are the scoffers? Anti-Trinitarians and Unitarians?

Upvote 0