Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Devout Jews — absolutely. But no one really knows if the miracle was in the disciples speaking all of their home languages, or if it was that they HEARD in their home languages. It never says so no doctrine can be truthfully made either way.

But as I said, the product of tongues comeing out and being understood without an interpreter is only recorded ONCE.

The passage is clear that they HEARD, the emphasis being on heard.

6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?... —we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.” 12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In Acts 2 all the believers received speaking in tongues TO God. (individual)

Those same people in Acts 4 received a filling for boldness in ministry with signs and wonders. (church)

29 Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, 30 by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.”

31 And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.

You said: All of the saved can do that, not just those speaking in tongues... I would say all who believe do both. We have freedom from sin and put on the whole armor of God, which includes praying in the Spirit.

We can receive many fillings, sometimes called anointings for other gifts of the Spirit that we pray for and receive.
Things happened in Acts that were not to be repeated going forward, as they were done in order to fulfill prophecy and to record the moving from the Old to the New Covenants!

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Many pentacostals/Charismatics take the experiences recorded down to us in Acts as being normative for all times, but that Book is a transistion between Old to new Covenants, and we are not commanded to speak in tongues, but to keep being refilled in/by the Holy Spirit!
So 1 Cor 12 no longer counts? What about the gift of speaking in tongues? Shouldn't we desire all spiritual gifts including that one but more so the gift of prophecy?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So 1 Cor 12 no longer counts? What about the gift of speaking in tongues? Should be we desire all spiritual gifts including that one bit more so prophecy?
Scripture is God speaking. Apart from that you are in the Devil's domain where many false prophets deceive.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
As I said, the topic of Cessation needs to be discussed elsewhere.

who is discussing it? She was confused, I gave her the scriptures she needed.

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thank you folks for your responses though the discussion has turned into a cessation/continuation debate over tongues. We should probably discuss that on another forum.
That said, how do you deal with the same error continuously taught in a church? (This is the only error I have noted and the rest of what is taught is biblical.)

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you folks for your responses though the discussion has turned into a cessation/continuation debate over tongues. We should probably discuss that on another forum.
That said, how do you deal with the same error continuously taught in a church? (This is the only error I have noted and the rest of what is taught is biblical.)

What error are you specifically talking about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loyce KG

Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

The one in the OP. The church leadership continually telling the congregation to pray for filling of the Holy Spirit and to "open their mouths and start speaking in tongues" as the evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit?

Do we let everyone figure it out by acting like the bereans or else?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You are indeed most blessed then, and the assembly there, with only one error.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So 1 Cor 12 no longer counts? What about the gift of speaking in tongues? Shouldn't we desire all spiritual gifts including that one but more so the gift of prophecy?
All of the scriptures were written for us, but not all are to applied to us!

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The one in the OP. The church leadership continually telling the congregation to pray for filling of the Holy Spirit and to "open their mouths and start speaking in tongues" as the evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit?

Do we let everyone figure it out by acting like the bereans or else?
There is NO command in the Epistles to speak in tongues as sign of being filled with/by the Holy Spirit!
The evidence instead is fruit of the Spirit!

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I need clarity on this one; i have heard many pastors in my church asking us to pray for the filling of the Holy Spirit. They also say that the evidence of this in-filling is speaking in tongues. I have searched scriptures and don't find the two connected. Every time this is taught, I get frustrated because it seems not to line up with scripture.
Speaking in tongues is a gift of the spirit according to 1 Cor 12.
Why is this taught in churches? Is baptism with the Holy Spirit evidenced by tongues? What about those who don't speak in tongues, are they not baptized?
Am I missing something here?
Though tongues can accompany baptism it doesn't usually.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not at all, cessation is part of the discussion on tongues, is it not?
The discussion is not tongues per se, but the doctrine that speaking in tongues is THE evidence of being indwelt with the Holy Spirit.

Cessationism is not involved in that discussion.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why not just use the "reply" button so it is clear
For the reason you see in the above posts. Several others are jumping on the cessation/continuation discussion as well.

Upvote 0