St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here are some brief thoughts on family life. Again, the words are the author's, the bolding is mine.

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } All members of the family, each according to his or her own gift, have the grace and responsibility of building, day by day, the communion of persons, making the family "a school of deeper humanity"(59): this happens where there is care and love for the little ones, the sick, the aged; where there is mutual service every day; when there is a sharing of goods, of joys and of sorrows.
A fundamental opportunity for building such a communion is constituted by the educational exchange between parents and children,(60) in which each gives and receives. By means of love, respect and obedience towards their parents, children offer their specific and irreplaceable contribution to the construction of an authentically human and Christian family.(61)
They will be aided in this if parents exercise their unrenounceable authority as a true and proper "ministry," that is, as a service to the human and Christian well-being of their children, and in particular as a service aimed at helping them acquire a truly responsible freedom, and if parents maintain a living awareness of the "gift" they continually receive from their children.
Family communion can only be preserved and perfected through a great spirit of sacrifice. It requires, in fact, a ready and generous openness of each and all to understanding, to forbearance, to pardon, to reconciliation. There is no family that does not know how selfishness, discord, tension and conflict violently attack and at times mortally wound its own communion: hence there arise the many and varied forms of division in family life. But, at the same time, every family is called by the God of peace to have the joyous and renewing experience of "reconciliation," that is, communion re-established, unity restored. In particular, participation in the sacrament of Reconciliation and in the banquet of the one Body of Christ offers to the Christian family the grace and the responsibility of overcoming every division and of moving towards the fullness of communion willed by God, responding in this way to the ardent desire of the Lord: "that they may be one."

What do you think children bring to families? Do you believe they can teach their parents? Do children help parents grow in sanctity? How do you think mutual love and respect should be manifested between parents and children?

Who do you think the author is? Do you agree with them?

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Personally I think children bring love to families. Lots and lots of love. Amazing unconditional love. Until I held my son in my arms, I never knew just how deeply I could love someone. Parental love is the most amazing thing - it really makes you reassess who you are.

My kids have taught me patience (they're still working on it!), fortitude, persistence, respect, humility, honour and love. I had all of those things before, but having a little person who thinks the world of you call you to account and take a good look at yourself and the way you are around them - that's powerful.

Learning to put my children's needs before my own has been an excellent and ongoing walk towards sanctity. If I did it to the least of these, I did it to Him. So me and Jesus have played a lot of duplo and I Spy! And he's been with me as I have yet another cold dinner of cold cup of tea because I was looking after a baby who also wanted dinner at dinner time.

I know who the author is and I think they are awesome!

Upvote 0