• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

being close to God

Discussion in 'Prayer Wall' started by futuresoldier, Mar 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futuresoldier

futuresoldier guided by Jesus

+0
    It is easy to be close to God when we are feeling good emotionally. However, when we are not, how do we stay close to him?
    I have teenage mood swings that are a serious threat due to my day-to-day workload, how do I make sure that they do not effect my performance?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. kathleen7

kathleen7 New Member

+0
    hello futuresoldier :D moodswings are normal for a teenage boy... don't worry. i guess the important thing is that you remember to only let the Holy Spirit plug into you and not the devil! when in doubt, ask yourself... is this something Jesus would do? It works for me :rolleyes: puts things in perspective!

3. supermagdalena

supermagdalena The Shrubs and the Flan.

+25
    Non-Denom
    Yes, I know what you're ging through. I have those mood swings too, but it's because I'm a deep, emphatic person. It's a gift. I've learned to use these in my favor. When I have a really bad mood swing, I go write a story (I have an 83 page novel going!) or write a song, or do something artistic. It gives me a channel. Also you can try some deep Bible study. Those times you feel like you just need to be alone? Be alone. Have some quiet time, etc. It works, and helps you stay close to God! :)

4. Devoted Warrior

Devoted Warrior Member

+0
    Well, for me it seriously is to strap on the full armor of God in the a.m., or else I will have serious weak spots in my shield of faith, which lets fiery arrows get through and pierce my heart, then my thoughts go, and it's curtains for the rest of the day.

I pray about each "part" of the armor.

This is how I think of it:

Belt of truth around my waist...like a weight builder, needed for strength and stability.

Breastplate of righteousness...being obedient to God.

Shield of faith...very important and protects the first two.

Helmet of salvation...keeps my thoughts from heading down the wrong wrong wrong path

Sword of truth...being equipped with God's word dancing around in my heart

Feet fitted...so I go down the path TOWARD Jesus, not away from Him.

It always helps me to have a visual "focus", and it sure helps me.

Stops those mood swings ladies are supposed to have, or at least keeps them down to a dull roar.

Hope this may help?

God bless,
    nancy :)

5. supermagdalena

+25
    Non-Denom
    Hey, that's really cool. My weak spot is late at night, when i have nothing to do but think. It's when I psyche myself out. :eek:

6. Devoted Warrior

Devoted Warrior Member

+0
    Try it! It'll psyche you out the right direction!

God bless ya!
    nancy :)

p.s. Another thing I've learned, which you all probably know...(I'm a slow learner!) is to read cool verses about my own specific weak points, and "claim them" and I ask God to plant them in my heart.

I don't know what He does, but it makes a HUGE difference.

It's pretty neat!

:)

7. supermagdalena

+25
    Non-Denom
    I love doing that. (It's ok, I'm a slow learner sometimes too...hey, we appreciate the cool new things we learn more ;) )

8. amie

amie Survivor

+7
    Non-Denom
    as a nurse, I can tell you, mood swings during the teen years are the norm, you have a tremendous amount of growth going on (the most you'll ever have in your life) with all of the hormone changes and what not...along with all of the pressures that come along with being a teenager, but you already have the integrity in your life since you have the desire to stay on the right path. Kudos to you my dear! Right now, prayer and LOTS of sleep. Teenagers actually require a great deal more sleep than adults because of the growing body, added pituitay stimulation, and development of the brain tissue...so to put it in a nutshell kiddo: Lots of sleep and lots of prayer, you can't go wrong with either :angel: I hope for great things for you and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Best of luck to you! and pray, pray, pray! your friend,
    Amie

9. Devoted Warrior

Devoted Warrior Member

+0
    Amie, I'm a nurse, too.

:)

10. amie

amie Survivor

+7
    Non-Denom
    Future soldier, Now you've got 2 nurses praying for you!
    Good career choice Devoted Warrior :clap: from one nurse to another: God Bless! your friend
    Amie

oh and future soldier, from one nation to another: God Bless!

11. Iffy

Iffy Member

+1
    Protestant
    Hi futuresoldier,
    I write this to you because I can understand and want to share what I have learnt. When I was a younger Christian, I often depended on feelings. After going to youth camp,I would be on a 'spiritual high' only to know and was told that spiritual highs didn't last after the camp. Some would tell me that you need to maintain that 'spiritual high' post camp. What they didn't tell me is that my walk with God is not about spiritual highs or feelings.

Feelings can be a good measure of what's happening in your life. 'if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God', the Bible says. Hence checking our heart - our motives and feelings can be useful in knowing whether we are wanting to please God or not.

However, feelings in the ordinary course of life are not to be used to measure your walk with God.

Why?

Jeremiah 17
    9 The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.
    Who can understand it?

Our feelings are fickle. Even when you have passed your teenage years, feelings remain fickle. I know that very well. Look at my nick! *lol* Only God (and God's Word) is unchanging. God is your Rock and you can stand on Him, not your feelings.

Read the Bible and claim God's promises. Sometimes feelings may accuse us of not being right with God but if you read the Bible, you will know God and you will know when God is pleased/not pleased with you.

'It is easy to be close to God when you're feeling good emotionally', you said.

Actually many people get close to God when they're feeling low only to chuck Him aside when all else is hunky dory in their lives. Ask yourself a few questions:
    1)Do I know God?
    2)Why do I only want to be close when I feel good?
    3)Do I know that God is not a God of feel-good but a God of reality? He wants to be a part of your real life! All of it!! He is there not just for the good times but the bad times. He is a REAL God. He is not a superficial friend. He is real and He is powerful enough to handle your bad feelings...even if you wanna scream at Him and say, ARE YOU THERE GOD? Life sucks right now..but I know you can turn it all around!!' Amen! That is the God you and I know. He would like you to be 100% real with Him.

Read the Bible and get to know God through His Word. I learnt not to depend on my feelings but on His Word alone.

God is always with you,
    Iffy
    ps>I like your nick

12. Snor Snor

Snor Snor Servant of Jesus Christ

+1
    Christian
    I agree with everyone here. I'm 15 right now, and have feelings attack me constantly. Sometimes it's very frustrating, because 3 different feelings could come at me at once. But God DID make us with feelings for a reason, believe it or not. If we had good feelings, as Iffy said, we would not think about God as much, but only how we feel inside of us. Now, when we have bad feelings, do we think these things? Not anyone I know! Instead, we start to seek God more, for help and strength and guidance by the Lord's Holy Spirit. Sometimes God speaks through feelings.
    Let's say a person is backsliding a little, and doing things he shouldn't, but still thinks of God every now and then, but he didn't mind if he did them. God, then, could put feelings inside of him, and make this person repent and turn to Him, because the person may think, "Oh, man, I don't feel like God's with me anymore because I did this!" Would this person search for God? Yep, since feelings can literally torture us.
    So, since God may speak through feelings sometimes, ask God to help you discern the counterfeit and the real feelings (The feelings from Jesus).

God bless :)

13. amie

amie Survivor

+7
    Non-Denom
    Snor-Snor, I could not have said it better - you are wise beyond your 15 years...you will do wonders!
    Future soldier...still praying...
    Amie :angel:

14. Iffy

Iffy Member

+1
    Protestant
    Yes Snor-Snor you are very wise!! : )

15. fieldmouse3

fieldmouse3 Contributor

+58
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    When I feel badly about something, and I think I'm in danger of turning away from God, I pray. Even if it doesn't feel like God's there, listening to me, I keep telling myself it is, and I just keep talking to Him about everythng that's bothering me. I also find that praying for other people's problems and worries keeps me from dwelling on what's wrong in my own life, and gives me some relief from everything that's bothering me.

Snor Snor - You're only 15? Wow....I always got the impression that you were much older. :)

16. supermagdalena

+25
    Non-Denom
    Snor snor: Very good point. :clap: Sometimes, hard emotions bring us closer to God even, and more aware of His will. In these times I like to lock myself up in my room and just pray and study some of the Bible.

17. RayNay714

RayNay714 Worshiper and Seeker

+0
    Christian
    Single
    Last year I went through some serious mood swings, and I have now learned that I must depend on God! I had a breaktrhough when I realized that nothing I could go through would be as bad as what Christ went through for me. If he could hang on that tree for my sins (when he himself had commited none) than I can be encouraged to serve him with all of my heart when I am having a bad day.

Remember there are only two times you praise God. When you feel like it, and when you don't!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.