Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Greed or lust is an unrighteous desire for something that the world promotes with intent to get a person to want it.

You can desire something that's natural and good, but the excessive nature of the desire is the problem, even by general Christian notions. Lust is excessive love, greed is excessive desire for material possessions.

Did I say that animation was a religion? No.

I didn't say animation was a religion, I said it had no religion, which is not to say I personified it, that's basic reading capabilities. Animation in itself is not innately religious nor does it have a religion merely because you insinuate it

To be clear, I said that it was considered as sexual harassment. I didn't say that it was sexual harassment. It being considered the same as, is evident by depictions in the anime. Where greater depictions of sexual harassment can also be seen.
Not by necessity, that's usually a joke in terms of a character's personality flaw being overly moralistic or such (possibly just repressing their feelings because of cultural expectations). And I don't think people are disagreeing that there are sexual harassment incident, but they're not being said to be good. Mineta in MHA does it a lot and he's generally punished for it in some sense.

I am aware (by videos on correct japanese behavior) that the Japanese people do not encourage displays of romantic expression: the holding of hands or kissing in public.

I didn't say otherwise, I said that it isn't universally or commonly held as sexual harassment, PDA and discouraging it isn't even uniquely Japanese, it's as much a problem in the American South at times

When it comes to sexual behaviors in anime.. it is reflecting reality.
I'm almost certain that doesn't actually happen in Japan, or even in reality, esp. depending on what you're talking about, since the execution of the sexual behaviors can just be utterly unrealistic, which is meant to be funny, not anything reflective of what would be considered good attitudes towards sex. Fiction doesn't absolutely reflect reality, it only reflects it relative to what we could observe, rather than just a reality they depict (which can be fictional and not encouraging imitation)

I did mention in my post the contrast of anime which are family oriented. So what are you doing by not mentioning that just to label me with a false fallacy?

Your focus on what you perceive as a majority that aren't family friendly is still a fallacy of ignoring the misses and emphasizing the hits, so to speak. I never claimed all anime was family friendly and that's even in my more secular standards, that's generally just a basic understanding of the content itself

I am amused whenever someone presumes something on me that I wouldn't do.

I don't watch TBN nor have I seen "Superbook" but I assume that it's American animation.. Biblical in kind. Whereas Japanese Anime isn't. So, really.. why try to use it as a comparison?

There are lists of Family based anime. Look them up yourself. But, it's been a long time since I've looked at Clannad so I couldn't say for sure if it had a level of PDA in it or not. Another is Bamboo, again if there's anything PDA in that I don't recall.

Another anime that I can't remember the title of.. the girl writes a story and the boy plays a violin. The American song "Country Roads" is featured in it. And again, if there's PDA I don't recall. There's another anime that I can't think of the title.. about a girl whose parents eat so much they turn into pigs, and boy who is turned into a dragon. If I recall correctly there's no PDA in that.

If you did some research, it wasn't American produced, they commissioned it, that's already a BASIC distinction in the word: Tatsunoko was commissioned by the Christian Broadcasting Network (my mistake, I thought it was TBN)

"Family based" is fairly subjective and there's also a distinction between family and children oriented: a series can be primarily for kids or it can be general audiences in a way that isn't going to upset parents in a general sense (not the pearl clutching moralizing zealots who would hate the very idea of two underage characters kissing)

Ifyou don't even know the name of the series, then maybe don't make your argument that impulsively to try and prove some point. Bamboo Blade is a bit ambiguous and from what I've seen of Clannad, not sure it's entirely kid friendly or kid appealing, it's more for teenagers, arguably.

Whisper of the Heart and Spirited Away, sure, Ghibli tends to do stuff like that, it's their M.O. practically

This is a matter of personal conviction. The person asked what she should do, therefore whatever a response according to a person's convictions are.. is allowable to give.

Except that's purely subjective and a poor standard to determine pretty much anything we do, independent verification, striving for remote objectivity, getting all the facts you can and not letting your own bias override rational decision making are all of far more importance than just how you feel.

The two movies that you mentioned left the topic of anime and jumped over into fiction.. So by your own statements.. they don't count.
However, I did watch "Lord of the Rings." The information I researched, stated that a Christian wrote it.
Whereas "Harry Potter" is a book that introduces children to witchcraft. I had that conviction on my own, but it's also confirmed by an ex-witch.

I didn't say they counted for the anime category, but fiction is broader than that

Christians wrote BOTH books, Tolkien is just more well known as a Christian, Rowling is also a Christian. Not to mention there's Christian allegory in both films according to a number of sources, you're ignoring anything that might actually make it seem positive and focus on the fictional aspects that exist in LOTR as well (Gandalf and Saruman use magic, there are magic rings, there are dragons, you have a devil looking monster in the Balrog, I can go on). The mere existence of aspects in a work of fiction you find objectionable is not reason enough to call the book itself evil, esp. when allegory and the narrative are not glorifying evil in any sense you would associate, because they're not working on the same universe, but the author's intent is part of the interpretation (not all of it)

Using an ex witch as your anecdotal source is not evidence, witches are hardly unified by some codified structure, in contrast with Christianity or the like. You could be a witch and use the Egyptian Book of the Dead or a Wiccan Book of Shadows, it's not that cut and dry.

It's not witchcraft, it's explicitly called magic in the book, you're already just inserting your preconception into it instead of actually reading it, which I did for about 4 books before I got bored. And I didn't want to try witchcraft after reading it, or watching the movies, because I could tell it was fiction from the start.

Last edited:
Upvote 0