Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was posting this thread for @Thatgirloncfforums that really got me into thinking in terms of Orthodoxy etc. I really got a lot of mileage out of Peter Gillquist, "Becoming Orthodox" which I think is ideal for someone who is very new to the topic (addressing various kinds of Protestant ideas, objections).

But this testimony of a Baptist preacher turned Greek Orthodox was very useful when it comes to the notion of a phrenoma (mindset) of Faith.
From First Baptist to the First Century

Like a Protestant may be sacramental, having a liturgy based on the old Catholic mass etc. but there can be something missing that comes for how they conceptualize it. They can see it as a means of worship etc. but they don't really have a high view of it in terms of like an Existential and metaphysical reasons. This can lead a person who see things from a purely Utilitarian point of view to maybe want to scrap it, when there is an issue. That sort of thing was something I argued for as a youth, because our little Lutheran mission was not really taking off compared to all the Low Church, or nonliturgical churches of Baptists, Pentecostals etc.

Another thing I'm aware of is either intentionally or by osmosis absorbing the positions of other Evangelical Christians. In confirmation class when talking about Mary the WELS pastor reinforced the notion that Mary and Joseph had sexual intimacy after having Jesus which is the ancient position of Helvidius, but that is not what Luther actually believed who honored her as Theotokos and Ever Virgin (Because I'm sure he was aware of not just the Church Fathers position but also the role this belief played in various controversies like Nestorianism).

Besides that were other little things growing up. Like Lutherans in early days made the sign of the cross when praying much like all the other Christians but except for the pastor blessing the congregation with the Aaronic Blessing in the Liturgy, that was largely not done (seemed too Catholic or superstitious). And I got to say, the season of Lent was kind of the same way, we had it on our calendar etc. but we didn't really do any seasonal fasting. The closest thing we did was have some Lentil soup around then but we still put some meat in it for flavor.

Anyway, it just food for thought. Maybe your experience of Lutheranism was different than mine from the "Old Missouri" synod and Wisconsin Synod in California.

Last edited:

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
gotcha, I thought Being as Communion would have been the focus of the post, considering the title.

Well I thought my Lutheran experiences might be relevant to ThatGirl. I was hoping they might show aspects of phronema, how somebody might be superficially similar but they got a much different mind set, attitude etc.

Well I did take line and made it bold and in Red to try to give it special emphasis like this.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well I thought my Lutheran experiences might be relevant to ThatGirl. I was hoping they might show aspects of phronema, how somebody might be superficially similar but they got a much different mind set, attitude etc.

Well I did take line and made it bold and in Red to try to give it special emphasis like this.

I gotcha now.

• Friendly
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Wow.

The first parts of that post was spot on how I experienced Protestantism when I was one.

He does a fantastic job articulating issues that I couldn’t state about Protestant theology.

I just usually just sum it up by saying “to learn Church history is to cease to be a Protestant”.

thanks for this link and book recommendation. I have it listed now as a to-read!

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was posting this thread for @Thatgirloncfforums that really got me into thinking in terms of Orthodoxy etc. I really got a lot of mileage out of Peter Gillquist, "Becoming Orthodox" which I think is ideal for someone who is very new to the topic (addressing various kinds of Protestant ideas, objections).

But this testimony of a Baptist preacher turned Greek Orthodox was very useful when it comes to the notion of a phrenoma (mindset) of Faith.
From First Baptist to the First Century
Interesting.
Like a Protestant may be sacramental, having a liturgy based on the old Catholic mass etc. but there can be something missing that comes for how they conceptualize it. They can see it as a means of worship etc. but they don't really have a high view of it in terms of like an Existential and metaphysical reasons. This can lead a person who see things from a purely Utilitarian point of view to maybe want to scrap it, when there is an issue. That sort of thing was something I argued for as a youth, because our little Lutheran mission was not really taking off compared to all the Low Church, or nonliturgical churches of Baptists, Pentecostals etc.

We seem to be divided these days. There are Liturgists like Wil Weedon. My Church has seen both come and go depending on what the pastor believes.
Another thing I'm aware of is either intentionally or by osmosis absorbing the positions of other Evangelical Christians. In confirmation class when talking about Mary the WELS pastor reinforced the notion that Mary and Joseph had sexual intimacy after having Jesus which is the ancient position of Helvidius, but that is not what Luther actually believed who honored her as Theotokos and Ever Virgin (Because I'm sure he was aware of not just the Church Fathers position but also the role this belief played in various controversies like Nestorianism).
The official statement by the LCMS last I checked a few years ago, is 'We don't know'. Most pastors that have come and gone in my life have sided with the Evangelicals. Being persuaded by Evangelicalism on the one hand and the Reformed on the other, has always been a problem for us. Like, everyone is worried about being Catholic but not so worried about being Protestant. There are movers and shakers in the Church though. Pastor Wolfmueller comes to mind.

Besides that were other little things growing up. Like Lutherans in early days made the sign of the cross when praying much like all the other Christians but except for the pastor blessing the congregation with the Aaronic Blessing in the Liturgy, that was largely not done (seemed too Catholic or superstitious). And I got to say, the season of Lent was kind of the same way, we had it on our calendar etc. but we didn't really do any seasonal fasting. The closest thing we did was have some Lentil soup around then but we still put some meat in it for flavor.

You're making me sad for Rome lol

Anyway, it just food for thought. Maybe your experience of Lutheranism was different than mine from the "Old Missouri" synod and Wisconsin Synod in California.
No. That's pretty accurate. I'll pick up the book when I can

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
@Pavel Mosko ,

Where I am now, is recognizing that all churches go off the rails even becoming heretical at times. I need some time to put finger on the pulse of what is going on in world-lutheranism. Are Weedon, Wolfmueller and my own pastor outliers, or are they the faithful resistance. Also, I need time to work through the soteriology, theology and history of the various churches. Thanks for your support.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Where I am now, is recognizing that all churches go off the rails even becoming heretical at times. I need some time to put finger on the pulse of what is going on in world-lutheranism. Are Weedon, Wolfmueller and my own pastor outliers, or are they the faithful resistance. Also, I need time to work through the soteriology, theology and history of the various churches. Thanks for your support.

That' s fine lots of people take time figuring out where they fit in etc. There were 2 testimonies that really got my attention in my early days as a nondenominational Charismatic (linked below). They were cool because they mirrored my situation the closest in the late 90s (When I left Lutheranism I joined my best friend on his wacky adventures in the nondenominational Charismatic world). But the interesting thing was how the head pastor and the church in general slowly changed where they no longer fit into their denomination, but were basically Orthodox people in a Vineyard, Four Square Church etc. And that kind of does seem to the be great litmus test, when it is much easer to leave, join and belong to an Ancient Communion than stay around being an odd ball member of your church and denomination, continuously testing their tolerance for diversity and such.

https://journeytoorthodoxy.com/2010/06/o-lord-establish-this-vineyard/

https://journeytoorthodoxy.com/2010/05/recovering-the-ancient-paths-dennis-corrigan/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
@Pavel Mosko

What does Peter say about the Lutheran idea of being dead in sin?

I am talking to a Pastor who is very gracious and knowledgeable. He wrote this:

Our Lord says in John 3: "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." Or it can also be translated as: "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born from above he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Both translations are good. There is a double meaning in this sentence. We are born again, in the sense that we first have a natural birth and then a spiritual birth (cf. John 3:6, 2 Corinthians 5:17, 1 Peter 1:23). And we are born from above, in the sense that God is the one who creates life (cf. Psalms 139:13-14, Genesis 2:7). He creates natural life through the means of parents, and spiritual life through the means of His Word and Sacraments administered by His Church. And both forms of life are created through means and love. But the person created does not wish, ask, work, or choose to receive life. No, life is entirely given as a free gift. We didn't choose or work in order to live, but our lives were given to us as a gift. It's the same with spiritual life in Christ. And that's really the point of the discourse between Nicodemus and Jesus — that life is not earned, but given, out of God's love and grace.

Then let's consider the different but similar language of being dead in sin:

Psalms 51: "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me."

Ephesians 2: "And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind."

Our Lord in Matthew 8: "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."

John 5: "For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will."

1 Timothy 5: "She who is self-indulgent is dead even while she lives."

Ephesians 5: "Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."

The language of sinners being spiritually dead is common throughout the Scriptures, and I think it's good to meditate on and contemplate the seriousness and severity of it. A dead person cannot work himself to life, neither want or choose himself to life. What he can do is to remain unclean, rot, and perish. When our Lord, in John 11, called out to his dead friend whom he loved: "Lazarus, come out!", it is a command and a creative word that gives life. The modern idea of a personal decision for Jesus doesn't fit the context. Or consider when our Lord saved His people from Egypt, again, it's not a situation that revolves around a personal choice, but God graciously saving His people, out of His own love and kindness.

So, with this in mind, we do not choose God, but God chooses us. Or to quote Scriptures: "We love because he first loved us." It is precisely God saving us, giving us life, and adopting us, that enables us to live for Him through Him. So we do have choices to make in the realm of our Sanctification, the growth of holiness, love, and good works. But not in our Justification. And this is the holy mystery that we must uphold: That salvation is entirely from God, but damnation is entirely from man.

This post is already very long, but maybe I can end with a simple illustration. This is not an accurate illustration, and shouldn't be pushed too far, but it can perhaps help our mind appreciate something similar to the holy mystery in simple terms. Suppose a drunk beggar, passed out on the streets, were given a great gift by the king. When the beggar wakes up, and sees his gift, he has freedom in choosing to distrust the king's promise that it truly belongs to him, and so throw away the gift. Or he can trust his king and use the gift already given, to live a new and charitable life. In other words, he didn't ask for the gift, but at the same time, he has the freedom in rejecting it. The gift, however, is objectively real and truly given out of pure grace. Now, again, I don't want you to push this illustration too far, because quite frankly it's lacking. But I hope it's of some use, nontheless.

I want to follow Scripture and I will, it's just there is something not quite right about the above. My mind keeps going back to Christ. Christ partook of our flesh, so how can our flesh be ontologically (universally) dead?
Thank you

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What does Peter say about the Lutheran idea of being dead in sin?

I am talking to a Pastor who is very gracious and knowledgeable. He wrote this:

Your talking about Jordan Cooper right?

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well on Facebook I was reminded of this meme I posted 3 years ago in my Memories area

Kallistos Ware mem.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
not to be rude, so forgive me, but our forum isn’t the place for two non-Orthodox to talk to each other. it’d be better to do this over PM
Sorry. I thought Pavel was Orthodox. I will refrain

• Prayers
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0