Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is someone that I really care about that I am being advised by those close to me to break things off with. They say that it seems like an unhealthy relationship. I just need the strength to follow through with it this week. I want to do whatever God's will is for me, so please pray that He will make that clear to me. Please pray for both the girl and I, as this will be a hard time for both of us, I imagine. I am in need of God's help... I can't do this alone.

Elteqay

Sep 12, 2019
Tampa
✟1,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
There is someone that I really care about that I am being advised by those close to me to break things off with. They say that it seems like an unhealthy relationship. I just need the strength to follow through with it this week. I want to do whatever God's will is for me, so please pray that He will make that clear to me. Please pray for both the girl and I, as this will be a hard time for both of us, I imagine. I am in need of God's help... I can't do this alone.

What is unhealthy about it ? Does she kidnap you and blow all your money getting drunk and smoking weed, or is she from the wrong denomination?

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is unhealthy about it ? Does she kidnap you and blow all your money getting drunk and smoking weed, or is she from the wrong denomination?
No, none of that. She was a nonbeliever when we started talking, and she is now a Christian after seeking to learn more about it since she knew it was so important to me. There are a lot of complications we're dealing with that have prevented us from moving forward with a relationship(she's living with her ex, I'm living at home with a mother that doesn't like her, we live an hour apart, she's in college and I'm fresh out of college looking for a job, she's dealing with mental health stuff, etc). I've been told it's not healthy because all this has been draining, and it seems like she is leaning and relying on me far too much.

Who advised you to break things off? Are they mature believers, family, friends, or a combination of all three?
A combination of all three. My parents had different reasons. My mom's reason (which I don't exactly respect) is that she has tattoos, and tattoos are the sign of a "troubled person." My dad thinks I should focus on myself right now since I am fresh out of college and not sure what I want to do, which I thought was much more reasonable. My close friend said he didn't think I should be involved with her since the situation has been stressing me out and draining me so much. My Christian mentor (who is the most mature believer of the people I have mentioned) said that it seems like she is not ready for a serious relationship and that she needs to stand on her own two feet for a while, just judging by her behavior.

Is this the girl who flipped out over photos?
Nope, different girl. I don't know what it is with me and girl problems.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am glad to hear she’s exploring faith on account of your influence. And I think its important that she develops a relationship with God of her own volition. Sometimes a person picks up interests their partner shares and drops them when the union ends. Her investment must be genuine whether you remain or not.

It is equally possible that she could have a change of heart. This is the challenge of dating new believers. If she falls away then what? You’re back at this point.

Situationally, you’re in different seasons. You must consider whether you’re willing to endure the strain or if its better to cool your heels, get established, and support her as a friend instead.

All relationships will have difficulties. But few can handle continual instability without growing tired. You’re taking on a lot and bring your share of baggage. You must determine whether she’s worth the hardship.

Do you see a brighter road ahead? In short, do you believe in her to the degree where your discomfort is worth the greater thing you can have?

I don’t think anyone can answer that for you. But I will say its easier to fight for something you believe in rather than one you don’t. And in some instances you don’t recognize their worth until you part.

I went through something similar. We were young and stubborn. We saw a shadow not the whole. Time apart opened our eyes. We finally saw the other. The obstacles were nothing in relation to the possibilities we glimpsed.

It takes a loving person to look beyond your lack and imperfections. It takes a humble heart to see their own in light of yours and recognize the blessing they’ve found.

There are no perfect relationships. Just two souls wholly committed to something better and becoming better through mutual influence.

That’s the person who sees your beauty. The one who truly makes you try. :)

Upvote 0

Elteqay

Sep 12, 2019
Tampa
✟1,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
No, none of that. She was a nonbeliever when we started talking, and she is now a Christian after seeking to learn more about it since she knew it was so important to me. There are a lot of complications we're dealing with that have prevented us from moving forward with a relationship(she's living with her ex, I'm living at home with a mother that doesn't like her, we live an hour apart, she's in college and I'm fresh out of college looking for a job, she's dealing with mental health stuff, etc). I've been told it's not healthy because all this has been draining, and it seems like she is leaning and relying on me far too much.

A combination of all three. My parents had different reasons. My mom's reason (which I don't exactly respect) is that she has tattoos, and tattoos are the sign of a "troubled person." My dad thinks I should focus on myself right now since I am fresh out of college and not sure what I want to do, which I thought was much more reasonable. My close friend said he didn't think I should be involved with her since the situation has been stressing me out and draining me so much. My Christian mentor (who is the most mature believer of the people I have mentioned) said that it seems like she is not ready for a serious relationship and that she needs to stand on her own two feet for a while, just judging by her behavior.

Nope, different girl. I don't know what it is with me and girl problems.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please pray for both the girl and I, as this will be a hard time for both of us

I'm praying that God helps you discover what is best for you and your friend. I'm praying that God helps those around you carefully consider this girl's well being as well as yours.

The truth is only you and God know if this relationship is right for you.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,156.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
What is it about you and girls? Well, you live in a very troubled world overflowing with very troubled people. I pray you will be able to extricate yourself with as little pain as possible on both sides. i also pray that you will be led to the right person, and BE the right person, at the right time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you feel that God is telling you to break up or just a few people around you? Pray about it. While I do think it's always wise to listen to friends and family I would not jump too soon. Have you thought of simply slowing down this relationship? Why does it have to be so serious so soon? Why not just take it down a notch or three?

Your mum is being judgmental.
Your dad is right to a degree, but there is no reason you can't focus on yourself and on her if the relationship is not taking over.
She probably isn't ready for a serious relationship-and why does it have to be serious? Learn to take things more slowly. If that means you have to break up do so, but make sure to take your time with the next girl you meet.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do you feel that God is telling you to break up or just a few people around you? Pray about it. While I do think it's always wise to listen to friends and family I would not jump too soon. Have you thought of simply slowing down this relationship? Why does it have to be so serious so soon? Why not just take it down a notch or three?

Your mum is being judgmental.
Your dad is right to a degree, but there is no reason you can't focus on yourself and on her if the relationship is not taking over.
She probably isn't ready for a serious relationship-and why does it have to be serious? Learn to take things more slowly. If that means you have to break up do so, but make sure to take your time with the next girl you meet.
Noted, thank you. I have definitely been in prayer about it. I've felt convicted to at least slow things down or just be friends for the time being.

She tends to take things very fast. She's already told me she wants to spend the rest of her life with me, which freaks me out a bit since it's so early.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, that puts a different light on things, I thought it was you pushing things along.
How long have you been seeing her?

Sounds like maybe you just need to be friends, but if she is saying stuff like that, it may not work.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Okay, that puts a different light on things, I thought it was you pushing things along.
How long have you been seeing her?

Sounds like maybe you just need to be friends, but if she is saying stuff like that, it may not work.
We have been friends for around 4 years, and she has always had a crush on me. We started hanging out more in May of this year. She was dating her ex at the time, and in June she broke up with him (promising that it wasn't because of me). And we have kept in contact ever since.

Around a month ago she and I had a conversation that we aren't really in the position to date at this point in time. However, both she and I, admittedly, have continued to act like we're dating ever since then, even though it was really meant to slow things down between us at least until things were more in our favor. That's partly why my Christian mentor said it sounds unhealthy... we are in sort of a "Limbo" state right now, where we should probably be focusing more on ourselves at this point in time and not holding on so tightly to the idea of a relationship.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Proverbs 12:15 immediately comes to mind. Father, may Your Word, and working through these good friends that probably have a better view of things from their distance, bring this one to the assurance of doing the right thing in breaking off this relationship, even though they care so much for this girl. Amen.

• Friendly
Reactions: Trayalc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums