JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone who has kids, ever wonder what in the world they are doing, trying to be a parent? I wonder that all the time. I feel like I am not that good at this. So I start to pray and ask God for help all the more. Because I know if He does not step in and help me, then I am going to be in REAL trouble. The amazing thing is, the more I realize I am just not that good of a parent, and the more I cry out to God, the smoother things seem to go. The happier my family seems to be. I know it has nothing to do with me, I just know the God we serve is an Amazing God. Thanks, JohnR7

mama

Chocolate the "other" food group
Feb 26, 2002
oregon
Visit site
✟352.00
:help: :(
I feel like a complete loser with my kids..both my boys are ADHD and it makes it rough on me...Today has been one of the worst days I have had in this past year.....My teenager is having a hard time and I know part is being his age but aahhh I am his mother and don't I deserve respect?
I do remember that I was horrible to my mother when I was his age...............................I wonder if I am gonna make it.....mama
:rolleyes: :cry: :scratch:

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>I feel like a complete loser

I remember a while ago, our pastor was preaching on how we can not fail in this final hour. Now for me, I have had so much failure in life, that this was really a scary thought. But then as I began to pray about it, I began to realize that Jesus never fails. He always accomplishes what He sets out to do. So for me, the answer is to allow Jesus to do a work in me and through me. Rather than to trust and depend upon myself, put my faith, hope, love and trust in Jesus and what He is able to do.

God says that without faith it is impossible to please Him. He gives to all a measure of faith. So really, all we have to do is use the faith He gives us to use, to trust Him and to believe what He says is true, that He will cause all things to work out for the best.

Even if we do not have enough faith, we can ask God to help us and to give us more faith. Thanks, JohnR7

Mark 9:23-24 Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." [24] Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a parent yet...but I do want to be one someday.
But I am so afraid of raising a child in this world.
You see shows like Ricki Lake where they have these troublemaker kids on going to boot camp or sitting on the show insulting their parents. I'm so afraid that I will do my best at being a mom and loving my kids...but they'll still turn out to be like those kids.

So I know I'll be praying every day for my kids (when I have them) and praying for me.

Mama, I'll keep you in my prayers and I'll pray for your kids also. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E-beth

Senior Contributor
Feb 6, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟20,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
y'know, I think the only thing scarier than being a parent is being ABOUT to become a parent!

I prayed for a baby most of my adult life. Now that I just started teh third and final trimester, I am consumed with anxiety about being a good parent.

I want my son to be a good person, a good male and most of all, come to know the Lord. All this from a person who does stuff wrong most of the time. Who am I that God entrusts this child to me??

Anyway, like Angel I see these kids with major attitude problems on TV and in teh world and I think, my child will never be that way. But truth is, there are no guarantees. I was a good kid growing up and even I gave my poor mom grief.

The only way I can do this parent stuff is with God's help, and I am totally depending on that!

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>Anyway, like Angel I see these kids with major attitude problems on TV

That is the work of satan, don't let that scare you. TV and the media does a good job of glorifying the work of the snake.

God is much more powerful, and I see a lot of good kids out there. I mean really good kids. Because God is at work in there lives. Sometimes it seems like the kids are more dedicated than some of the adults I have seen.

>>third and final trimester, I am consumed with anxiety about being a good parent.

When our 3 year old was being formed in the womb, I use to lay on hands and pray for him. I would pray that God would make him strong and healthy. I guess I did not know what I was asking for, because he came out VERY strong. Now I know how samson's parents felt.

For me, God usually answers my prayers. The problem then is in knowing how to pray. I could avoided a lot of problems if I had known how to pray. But it still works out for the best, even when we run into trouble. We pray and God brings us out of it.

A lot of my life is spent in seeking to know the will of God, so I know how to pray and I know what to pray for. If we pray according to His will for us, there is a pretty good chance that we are going to get what we ask for. There are a lot of really awesome things that are a part of God's will of us. He want us to be satisified, and content. He wants to fill us with love, joy, peace, and so on. We are sure to have gladness beyond what any nonbeliever will ever know. He wants to give us strength, and the ability to do what we are called to do. There is physical, emotional, finicial, and spiritual prosperity, and the list goes on.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>But I am so afraid of raising a child in this world.
You see shows like Ricki Lake

You really should not watch that stuff. That is just the work of the serpent in people lives. You should look into what God is doing to rescue, save, heal and deliver people out from under the bondage of the enemy.

This is what we are to be thinking on:

Philip. 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Study up on God and what He is doing. It will get you depressed and discourage if you pay to much attention to what the devil is doing. Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 3:8b For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Didymus

can t spell--can t type
Feb 3, 2002
New York state
✟10,771.00
Faith
Protestant
I have been a parent for almost 22 years and yes it is a ton of work but i have found my view of God changed greatly. After all He is a parent too and knows exactly what we are going through.
Have I been a good mother ? i don t think so but i tried to do what i thought was right. And after the early teens there is only so much you can do. Kids have to make their own mistakes.

Upvote 0

Martin

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2002
Rochdale
Visit site
✟11,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you think it's rough being a parent, think how God must feel as our Father......

I am a parent to four children now ranging in age from 26 to 18. Each age group has it's own joys and difficulties. I think that they are most interesting at the age of two years old. This is the time when they are exploring their new world. They are funny at that age.....but the ornaments have to be put up out of reach, fridge and cupborad doors guarded and protected, etc.

There have been testing times, fun times and happy times and it can be hard work - if you put your "all" in to it. For those of you who are thinking about future parenting, particularly the men, then I would encourage you to go for it! If my experience is typical, then not everything will run smoothly, but the benefits and joys far outweigh the stresses.

If I can be so bold as to offer some advice, again particularly to men, it's - LOVE your children. Dote on them, never ignore them, look out for the unspoken signs. It's particularly important for men to be fathers to their children - children need a father (don't we all), and in partiocular, men, love your daughters - they need it particularly....don't underestimate how much love your children need.

I just feel the prompting to add this comment, maybe it's relevant for one of you out there in cyber-land.....
As Christians, divorce is really not an option (another debate sometime) but where divorce takes place it has devastating consequences on the children, and no matter how much you tell them that it's not their fault - they won't take that on board. You should think or marriage as being two sheets of paper stuck together with superglue and divorce as trying to separate those two sheets. I think you will see that it's impossible. All that's achieved is that the stuck-together sheets are ripped. Think of the children of a marriage as being the result of those two pieces of paper being stuck together to produce one new sheet of paper. I'll leave you to think what happens to the child in a divorce sitiuation.......

Can I hasten to add that, in no way, do I want to bring condemnation upon anyone who has gone through divorce and is now a single parent. You need our greatest love and support. I rather think that my thoughts are directed towards any who are married and have children and may be contemplating divorce.

Much love to all of you....... :hug: :hug: :hug:

Upvote 0