Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you think there's a difference between the two? I am of the opinion that if one is a true Christian, a new-creation-lead-by-the-Spirit Christian then one will naturally (given their new nature) exemplify Christ-like actions and behaviors. What do you think?

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think there's a difference between the two? I am of the opinion that if one is a true Christian, a new-creation-lead-by-the-Spirit Christian then one will naturally (given their new nature) exemplify Christ-like actions and behaviors. What do you think?

This ought to be a good thread. Glad that you thought of it. ;)

The definition and identification of a Christian is not found in his imitation of Christ, but in his reliance upon Him.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think there's more to it than simply reliance. A bad tree still relies on rain and soil to produce it's fruit:

Matthew 7:

17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7:

17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

It's helpful to have some commentary along with the verses so that we know your interpretations of them.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's helpful to have some commentary along with the verses so that we know your interpretations of them.

See edit.

To my own contrary, I looked up NIV instances of the word "rely" and came across this:

Galatians 3:9
So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think there's more to it than simply reliance. A bad tree still relies on rain and soil to produce it's fruit:

Matthew 7:

Who makes the tree what it is? Who makes the soil rocky or soft?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
God.

So if we realized that relying on faith is the way, and if that faith without works is dead, then faith will produce works [good fruit] that are Christ-like?

Christ-like is the point of contention here. Who is Christ-like, but Christ?

Also, should I rely on my ability to be like Christ or His ability to save a wretch like me?

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Philippians 2 is a great example of Christ-like promotion and behavior

You have no ability to be Christ-like unless you are reborn. If you share in the exact same Spirit that is in Christ, how could you NOT be Christ-like?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That said, my behavior I think is what needs to be tested when Paul says:

Philippians 2:12-13 New International Version (NIV)

12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

2 Corinthians 13:5

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?

How do you know if you're in Christ, unless your behavior shows it?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
How do you know if you're in Christ, unless your behavior shows it?

By your baptism. God does everything in a covenant. The way that you enter with Him into the new covenant is through faith and baptism (se the Great Commission) in the work of Christ. "Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.” (John 6)

Examine yourself to see if you be in the FAITH, is not an exhortation to examine your works to see if you are righteous enough. The most righteous among us only enters in clothed in the righteousness of Christ.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Christ gave us a perfect example to follow of obedience to the law and someone who is Christ-like is someone who follows his example of obedience by faith through the leading of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I agree completely with your premise... most of Christendom is in name only. They don't seek the deeper, spiritual things of God. As long as they attend a church, know the stories in the Bible and are a generally good person, they feel secure and are deceived. This is partly the pastors burden but we all have a responsibility to earnestly seek Him more than we are. We are given a number of examples in scripture of men that were obedient and pleasing to God. Jesus is to be our example in all things, right? So let us strive, through His Spirit and Grace, to be perfect, even as He is perfect.

Upvote 0

enigmadi

Consecrated
Nov 17, 2011
United States
✟19,520.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree completely with your premise... most of Christendom is in name only. They don't seek the deeper, spiritual things of God. As long as they attend a church, know the stories in the Bible and are a generally good person, they feel secure and are deceived. This is partly the pastors burden but we all have a responsibility to earnestly seek Him more than we are. We are given a number of examples in scripture of men that were obedient and pleasing to God. Jesus is to be our example in all things, right? So let us strive, through His Spirit and Grace, to be perfect, even as He is perfect.
I agree with your comments. But wanted to add that "perfect" in Greek also means "complete" not just "without fault"...

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeepWater

Just The Truth
Aug 6, 2011
Israel (usually)
✟16,539.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Satan can behave like the best "Christian" you'll ever meet.
What does this make him?
The Anti-Christ will behave with such "Christian" behavior that many will think he is Christ.
Its all an ACT.
So, cloning yourself to behave in robotic fashion like your idea of the definition of "Christian", what does that make you?
It makes you an actor, acting a role, and many do it every Sunday from 10am - 12noon.
Many do it with a Eucharist between cheek and gum, while others do it when shouting "Amen" from the 1st row.

Here is what you need to understand.
"Fruit of the Spirit", is Christ in you, doing His good deeds.
Its not you, its HIM.
This is why the Gentile Apostle (Paul) told you that it was "not I but Christ im ME"..........ETC.

Think of it like this...
What is an ink pen, that has no ink?
Can it write?
So, you are the pen, and Christ is the ink.
He is the power and you are the transmission device.
Your basic job as a believer is to get out of the way of the One who is in you, as if not, you'll try to act like what you are not while you take the credit for what He did.
This is your typical believer.
Dont be that one.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In an interview in 1999 during his final crusade Billy Graham said "When names are called for crowns in heaven, they will be the nameless hidden saints among us. They may not be called Christians. They just love God."

This was a most insightful observation. In my over 70 years as a Christian I can say without reservation that the most Christlike person I have ever met was a Hindu.

Reactions: Hotinco
Upvote 0

Hotinco

Mar 6, 2016
Colorado, Denver Metro
✟11,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What a Great Question

To me yes there is a HUGE difference- We see in the news churches protesting at the funeral service of a fallen Soldier or Protesting at a gay rally or other horrific acts by "Christians"

Christ is Love - Jesus spent more time with "sinners" than the religious. To be Christ like you need to live a Christ centered life showing the love of Christ to everyone not just the "elect" few "saved" people in your church.

Jesus would be the one welcoming the homeless with open arms, sitting by the drunk trying to forget his problems, holding the hand of the mother who just had an abortion. Jesus would be the shoulder to cry on when the young man or woman is rejected by family because they said they are gay. He would be there to comfort the teen who was just kicked out of a "Christian" home when she told them she is pregnant. Oh so many sad things I have seen done under the title Christian.

How will the lost ever see the light if all the "Christians" do is tell them how bad their sin is, how wrong they are and how much Christ can't stand the sinners. Not sure what bible these people read from. My Bible says we are to be salt and light to the world, to love one another as Christ loved.

Does it really matter what the sin is? To God sin is sin, so how is being gay, pregnant out of wedlock, having an abortion, or any other thing you find appalling any worse then any other sin the "Church" tolerates.

Thank God I am washed in the blood and my sins are covered. I just want others to know that unconditional love of my Heavenly Father.

So many Christians confuse standing firm on a Biblical belief with the need to "bash" sinners. It is not for me to change the sinner, that is for God after they repent. My job is to live a life they want t be part of, know more about and leads sinners to Christ.

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepWater

Just The Truth
Aug 6, 2011
Israel (usually)
✟16,539.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
All YOUR righteousness is self righteousness.
It's only Jesus's Righteousness that recreates you to be completely righteous in the sight of God and THIS is "righteousness", and cant be earned. It can only be imputed., it can only be received, as it is not of you, it is the "Gift of God"= the "free gift of righteousness".

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The definition and identification of a Christian is not found in his imitation of Christ, but in his reliance upon Him.

I was always under the impression that Christian meant Christ Like. At least the very nature of the term more than implies that. Reliance on anything is not necessarily being like it.

Now I'm sure you will likely tell me that is my interpretation so, I ask you to define the term "Christian" in detail so I can understand why it is relience.

But if I ask that of you, it's only fair I give you the why's on my understanding of the term. That would be, barbarian means barbaric, Unitarian/Presbyterian means as a Unitarian/Presbyterian, so in turn, Christian means "as Christ" and does not mean only reliance upon.

That said, please tell me why you feel the term "Christian" is not imitation but reliance in Christ. Honestly, at first glance, that explanation seems totally made up, but still giving benefit of the doubt and maybe your definition of Christian and how you come about that definition will shed some light on things....

Upvote 0