Behold the wood of the cross on which hung the saviour of the world!

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The sorrowful mother stood ... a meditation on the sorrow of Blessed Mary as she stood at the foot of the cross, her beloved son and saviour of the world dying before her.

220px-Pietro_Perugino_040.jpg

Choir of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford - Stabat Mater(Browne) - YouTube

Lyrics ...

At the Cross her station keeping,
stood the mournful Mother weeping,
close to her Son to the last.

Through her heart, His sorrow sharing,
all His bitter anguish bearing,
now at length the sword has passed.

O how sad and sore distressed
was that Mother, highly blest,
of the sole-begotten One.

Christ above in torment hangs,
she beneath beholds the pangs
of her dying glorious Son.

Is there one who would not weep,
whelmed in miseries so deep,
Christ's dear Mother to behold?

Can the human heart refrain
from partaking in her pain,
in that Mother's pain untold?

For the sins of His own nation,
She saw Jesus wracked with torment,
All with scourges rent:

She beheld her tender Child,
Saw Him hang in desolation,
Till His spirit forth He sent.

O thou Mother! fount of love!
Touch my spirit from above,
make my heart with thine accord:

Make me feel as thou hast felt;
make my soul to glow and melt
with the love of Christ my Lord.

Holy Mother! pierce me through,
in my heart each wound renew
of my Savior crucified:

Let me share with thee His pain,
who for all my sins was slain,
who for me in torments died.

Let me mingle tears with thee,
mourning Him who mourned for me,
all the days that I may live:

By the Cross with thee to stay,
there with thee to weep and pray,
is all I ask of thee to give.

Virgin of all virgins blest!,
Listen to my fond request:
let me share thy grief divine;

Let me, to my latest breath,
in my body bear the death
of that dying Son of thine.

Wounded with His every wound,
steep my soul till it hath swooned,
in His very Blood away;

Be to me, O Virgin, nigh,
lest in flames I burn and die,
in His awful Judgment Day.

Christ, when Thou shalt call me hence,
be Thy Mother my defense,
be Thy Cross my victory;

While my body here decays,
may my soul Thy goodness praise,
Safe in Paradise with Thee.

Translation by Edward Caswall
Lyra Catholica (1849)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,895.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This was originally a protestant hymn in adoration of our Lord and the Holy Cross.

It is used Good Friday in virtually every Lutheran Congregation in LCC.

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads o’er His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

To Christ, who won for sinners grace
By bitter grief and anguish sore,
Be praise from all the ransomed race
Forever and forevermore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9eCUqz_x5A

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,895.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is a setting of the reproaches is very moving

Conception Abbey - Good Friday - Reproaches - YouTube

Thanks for posting this; we too sing the reproaches as part of the Tenebrae service for Good Friday. Here is a link to the typical format that this service takes: http://www.peacealma.org/repository/Bulletins/GOOD FRIDAY TENEBRAE 2010.pdf

The hymn response is taken from the hymn “Lamb of God, Pure and Holy" which is an expanded paraphrase of the Agnus Dei: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKqlIpHv8C4

Most of our Congregations have retained the traditional historic use of black paraments and vestments for Good Friday as well Purple for Lent.

This is Trinity in Detroit:

goodfridayaltar05.jpg

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
HillSong produces many songs that are couched in first person singular language and use contemporary (pop) music style and themes. They sound like something one might expect to hear on music radio or a commercial CD. It seems that Hillsong is very popular in charismatic and pentecostal circles; which is no surprise when one realises that Hillsong is an Australian mega church in Sydney and that it is basically an AoG congregation.

Some of the psalms are written in the first person and draw the reader (and singer) to contemplate their own inner thoughts and feelings about God and about situations in life. This can be a healthy thing to do. Yet it is troubling when thinking along such lines comes to dominate congregational singing during a service (or a mass).

The cross of Christ is a subject for deep contemplation and when a congregation sings of it there ought to be depth in the ways and means by which the faithful are invited to enter into the grace of God shown by the cross of Jesus Christ. Hence the variety of songs written over the centuries about the cross of Christ. Consider the song in the first post "Behold the wood of the cross on which hung our salvation! O come let us adore." and the many chants and choral songs included thus far in this thread and the idea of depth mixed in variety of expression comes to the fore.

My preference is to give greater emphasis in the mass to objective statement of the mystery of the passion and invitation to participate as a people in it and lesser emphasis to individual reflection. Hence my selection of songs.

I am writing this as an explanation of my perspective rather than as proscribing what others ought to think and do in worship.

Palestrina, Missa Papae Marcelli. The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
HillSong produces many songs that are couched in first person singular language and use contemporary (pop) music style and themes. They sound like something one might expect to hear on music radio or a commercial CD. It seems that Hillsong is very popular in charismatic and pentecostal circles; which is no surprise when one realises that Hillsong is an Australian mega church in Sydney and that it is basically an AoG congregation.

Some of the psalms are written in the first person and drawn the reader (and singer) to contemplate their own inner thoughts and feelings about God and about situations in life. This can be a healthy thing to do. Yet it is troubling when thinking along such lines comes to dominate congregational singing during a service (or a mass).
To contemplate inner feelings and thoughts about God is to me the proper worship attitute because in doing so it becomes the connective of fellowship with God. When congregations sing along those lines God is lifted up on high by the many voices there. Bringing self into the equation to me is paramount. Whereas (and altho there are some beautiful songs posted in the thread) the example used in this post sounds very impersonnal. More like a night at the opera where you feel emotions of what is being sung rather than an intellectual knowledge. I suppose that's where objective and subjective are not balanced between Catholic and Protestant thoughts about and toward God. The emotions engaged or the mind engaged in both, the human spirit needs the connection of God the Holy Spirit to become an act of worship. My selection of songs (except for the last one ) have been the songs that have been my favored worship songs during the years and have special meaning to me as worship songs. I'll post below what I was actually going to post as a personal favorite of mine.

The cross of Christ is a subject for deep contemplation and when a congregation sings of it there ought to be depth in the ways and means by which the faithful are invited to enter into the grace of God shown by the cross of Jesus Christ. Hence the variety of songs written over the centuries about the cross of Christ. Consider the song in the first post "Behold the wood of the cross on which hung our salvation! O come let us adore." and the many chants and choral songs included thus far in this thread and the idea of depth mixed in variety of expression comes to the fore.

My preference is to give greater emphasis in the mass to objective statement of the mystery of the passion and invitation to participate as a people in it and lesser emphasis to individual reflection. Hence my selection of songs.

I am writing this as an explanation of my perspective rather than as proscribing what others ought to think and do in worship.

Palestrina, Missa Papae Marcelli. The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips - YouTube

Mighty Wave - Ulf Christiansson - YouTube

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
To contemplate inner feelings and thoughts about God is to me the proper worship attitute because in doing so it becomes the connective of fellowship with God. When congregations sing along those lines God is lifted up on high by the many voices there. Bringing self into the equation to me is paramount. Whereas (and altho there are some beautiful songs posted in the thread) the example used in this post sounds very impersonnal. More like a night at the opera where you feel emotions of what is being sung rather than an intellectual knowledge. I suppose that's where objective and subjective are not balanced between Catholic and Protestant thoughts about and toward God. The emotions engaged or the mind engaged in both, the human spirit needs the connection of God the Holy Spirit to become an act of worship. My selection of songs (except for the last one ) have been the songs that have been my favored worship songs during the years and have special meaning to me as worship songs. I'll post below what I was actually going to post as a personal favorite of mine.
First person singular songs about the cross of Christ are good and useful but find their best uses in private and personal prayer and worship.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First person singular songs about the cross of Christ are good and useful but find their best uses in private and personal prayer and worship.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Of course personal preference is never a matter of debate.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Singing and contemplating songs, prayers, etc. as "we" instead of "I" have had a profound impact on me as well.

We sing "Lord have mercy on us" in some places.

I treasure that personal connection and worship time - always have and I expect I always will (God willing!). But to come to an understanding of "us" as a Church, petitioning God - has its own kind of profundity and is precious in a different way.

To appreciate the love God has for mankind - and not for me alone - is pretty awesome as well.

It's all pretty amazing. :)

Reactions: Historicus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0