Behold the wood of the cross on which hung the saviour of the world!

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dont get the chanting thing. I suppose that it could have much spiritual value, but its not like the way we chant or the chanting itself is spiritual. Its the message that is anything. And i suppose that relaxation is good too, but i don't understand the chanting thing.

There's a science behind the tonal arrangements.
Subliminal induction can be very relaxing.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I dont get the chanting thing. I suppose that it could have much spiritual value, but its not like the way we chant or the chanting itself is spiritual. Its the message that is anything. And i suppose that relaxation is good too, but i don't understand the chanting thing.

Honestly, I didn't get it either and did not like it at first.

Now I find that it has great value for me. :) It took being exposed to it and finding that (for me) the prayers tended to repeat over and over for a couple of days like background music in my mind. That's the benefit I get from it at any rate. :)

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like to play and sing- i'll fly away, i don't sing it traditionally but i use my own version, its a bit slower and more personal. I'm sure you may be thinking that this song is silly, but it really helps me focus on heaven when i'm feeling burdened.

Our band does that song, but not in church... yet.

Upvote 0

Restoresmysoul

Sep 12, 2014
✟4,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Honestly, I didn't get it either and did not like it at first.

Now I find that it has great value for me. :) It took being exposed to it and finding that (for me) the prayers tended to repeat over and over for a couple of days like background music in my mind. That's the benefit I get from it at any rate. :)

I think maybe singing or maybe even chanting Gods promises and maybe other scriptures would be profitable, maybe even singing praise. The bible says to offer up sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving. But i'm not sure about prayer. Regardless, i think singing in a gentle and relaxing manner is good for me. Paul teaches us to meditate on the things he teaches.

Upvote 0

Restoresmysoul

Sep 12, 2014
✟4,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our band does that song, but not in church... yet.

That's my favorite at this moment. I play in in G, Cadd9 (1-4-5) . I use a simple "train" strum pattern, hitting the base note on the downbeat. I play it slow though, its very relaxing.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think maybe singing or maybe even chanting Gods promises and maybe other scriptures would be profitable, maybe even singing praise. The bible says to offer up sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving. But i'm not sure about prayer. Regardless, i think singing in a gentle and relaxing manner is good for me. Paul teaches us to meditate on the things he teaches.

Well, what it has brought to mind for me is the command to "pray without ceasing". I have actually tried to cultivate that, or at least a constant attitude of prayer, for ten or twelve years without really all that much success. As long as I keep my attention focused, I can, but I can't go about my day like that.

Much of the Divine Liturgy IS prayer. And the simpler ones especially can play like background music in my mind all the time now. It serves as a strong reminder - a very strong reminder - that we depend on God for all things, and always appeal to His mercy.

So yes, I think constant prayer has it's benefit.

I'm not arguing against repeating God's promises, His acts and attributes, or praise to Him. That's part of the prayer too, especially His acts, attributes, and praises to Him. It's all intertwined, and all beneficial to me.

It's hard to explain ... but just imagine if your spirit can pray/repeat those kinds of things continually to your consciousness much of the day. It's ... just very beneficial. I'm not sure if that is the what the chant is designed to do, but it wouldn't surprise me. The hesychastic tradition seems to understand quite a bit about this kind of thing, and the Church does just about everything for a reason.

(Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of good worship music as well, and it has done much to lift my spirit to God, but this is just different.)

Upvote 0

Restoresmysoul

Sep 12, 2014
✟4,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, what it has brought to mind for me is the command to "pray without ceasing". I have actually tried to cultivate that, or at least a constant attitude of prayer, for ten or twelve years without really all that much success. As long as I keep my attention focused, I can, but I can't go about my day like that.

Much of the Divine Liturgy IS prayer. And the simpler ones especially can play like background music in my mind all the time now. It serves as a strong reminder - a very strong reminder - that we depend on God for all things, and always appeal to His mercy.

So yes, I think constant prayer has it's benefit.

I'm not arguing against repeating God's promises, His acts and attributes, or praise to Him. That's part of the prayer too, especially His acts, attributes, and praises to Him. It's all intertwined, and all beneficial to me.

It's hard to explain ... but just imagine if your spirit can pray/repeat those kinds of things continually to your consciousness much of the day. It's ... just very beneficial. I'm not sure if that is the what the chant is designed to do, but it wouldn't surprise me. The hesychastic tradition seems to understand quite a bit about this kind of thing, and the Church does just about everything for a reason.

(Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of good worship music as well, and it has done much to lift my spirit to God, but this is just different.)

I believe praying without ceasing to mean praying everyday, even multiple times a day. But that's my belief. I learned that discussing prayer doesn't ever amount to anything, so i dont discuss it.

Upvote 0

Restoresmysoul

Sep 12, 2014
✟4,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
However i would like to make one comment if i may. If praying without ceasing means that we must pray in repetition, then we must never stop, because to do something without ceasing means that you never stop. That means praying 24 hours a day without ceasing. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Read up on the background history of liturgics (of which chanting is part and parcel). Here is a link that delves into the topic and the side bar begins with Jewish liturgics and chanting and moves on down to early Christian, et cetera, if you're truly interested.

Liturgica.com | Liturgics

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Restoresmysoul

Sep 12, 2014
✟4,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Read up on the background history of liturgics (of which chanting is part and parcel). Here is a link that delves into the topic and the side bar begins with Jewish liturgics and chanting and moves on down to early Christian, et cetera, if you're truly interested.

Liturgica.com | Liturgics

Thank you, i do remember hearing Jewish peoples chanting in a similar fashion. Im not of the opinion that's is right or wrong. I suppose, as Lewis said, that if it fits then why change it? (quoting the article from the webpage) At least that's how i took Mr Lewis's comments anyway. However, Im not sure i agree that they are sacred like the scripture itself. This is my opinion.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe praying without ceasing to mean praying everyday, even multiple times a day. But that's my belief. I learned that discussing prayer doesn't ever amount to anything, so i dont discuss it.

To each his own. :)

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How do you tell from that video what they do or do not believe?
I keep hearing judgements on people's hearts from people who say we can't know what's in them.

Curious.

That'd be because you miss words like "may" in the text.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Plainsong and Gregorian chant are both easy ways to memorise passages of scripture and sing/recite them when working or doing things that do not demand one's full attention. The same is true of some liturgical prayers, such as the rosary. One can pray and sing to God making melody in one's heart.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Plainsong and Gregorian chant are both easy ways to memorise passages of scripture and sing/recite them when working or doing things that do not demand one's full attention. The same is true of some liturgical prayers, such as the rosary. One can pray and sing to God making melody in one's heart.
If one is very thorough in selection of scriture based music, no matter the style, be it chant, hymn or song, then they do become a part of one's thinking. We're told in the book of Acts to speak to each other that way, in hymns and song, so it seems right to memorize them in that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Restoresmysoul

Sep 12, 2014
✟4,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If one is very thorough in selection of scriture based music, no matter the style, be it chant, hymn or song, then they do become a part of one's thinking. We're told in the book of Acts to speak to each other that way, in hymns and song, so it seems right to memorize them in that way.

They say that singing scripture does help us to memorize them. We need not memorize the whole bible, but focusing on key parts does help, and much of the NT scriptures are repetitive anyway. Paul teaches us to meditate on scripture and on his words, and not just meditate but do them, and i think it has much to do with being renewed in our thinking. But (not to beat a dead horse) meditating on debate often doesn't renew anything good.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

They say that singing scripture does help us to memorize them. We need not memorize the whole bible, but focusing on key parts does help, and much of the NT scriptures are repetitive anyway. Paul teaches us to meditate on scripture and on his words, and not just meditate but do them, and i think it has much to do with being renewed in our thinking. But (not to beat a dead horse) meditating on debate often doesn't renew anything good.

The last part of my post was a quote from scripture.
Ephesians 5:18-20 NJB Do not get drunk with wine; this is simply dissipation; be filled with the Spirit. (19) Sing psalms and hymns and inspired songs among yourselves, singing and chanting to the Lord in your hearts, (20) always and everywhere giving thanks to God who is our Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Restoresmysoul

Sep 12, 2014
✟4,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ephesians 5:18-20 NJB Do not get drunk with wine; this is simply dissipation; be filled with the Spirit. (19) Sing psalms and hymns and inspired songs among yourselves, singing and chanting to the Lord in your hearts, (20) always and everywhere giving thanks to God who is our Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Chanting. Im unsure if that's what the original language suggests, but regardless i'm sure he wasn't implying the chanting of the rosary, that's RCC tradition, not Pauls. But thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

and again

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom;
teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Salve festa dies toto venerabilis aevo Qua Deus infernum vicit et astra tenet
Ecce renascentis testatur gratia mundi Omnia cum Domino dona redisse suo
Salve festa dies...
Namque triumphanti post tristia tartara Christo Undique fronde nemus gramina flore favent
Salve festa dies...
Qui crucifixus erat Deus, ecce per omnia regnat Dantque Creatori cuncta creata precem
Salve festa dies...

Hail, festal day, venerable of all ages By which God conquers hell and holds the stars
Behold, it declares grace for a reborn world All gifts have returned with their Lord.
Hail, festal day...
For indeed, after hellish sorrows, to the triumphing Christ: grove with green and buds with flower, everywhere give laud.
Hail, festal day...
The Crucified One was God, behold He reigns over all things, and all creation offers prayer to its Creator.
Hail, festal day...

Salve Festa Dies - Catholic Easter Gregorian Chant - YouTube

Upvote 0