✟27,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!
Firstly, I hope you had an epic Christmas!
With 2018 approaching, I wanted to give aid to anyone looking for some neat tricks on how to study the Bible and memorize some scripture!
Plus.. I almost choke to death and lose an eye.. lol.. well.. almost..
Enjoy and God Bless!

Attachments

• Beginner Bible Study How To Study The Bible Effectively.png
    Beginner Bible Study How To Study The Bible Effectively.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • Winner
Reactions: DennisTate

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I confess that in all the years I've studied the bible I've memorized very few verses.

When it comes to me playing music, it's Psalm 33:3
When it comes to "hell", it's John 3:16 and Romans 6:23.
When it comes to why I moved from Seattle to rural KY it's Revelation 18:4
When it comes to my ex-wife it's Matthew 7:6

And with internet searches, I only need to be really familiar with the bible content and messages. That gives me the ability to find what I need usually in a few seconds.

Upvote 0

madluvofficial

Oct 10, 2017
St. Petersburg
✟27,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I confess that in all the years I've studied the bible I've memorized very few verses.

And with internet searches, I only need to be really familiar with the bible content and messages. That gives me the ability to find what I need usually in a few seconds.

This is very true my friend. We don't HAVE to memorize verses.. I for one am HORRIBLE at it. I think years of 'pre-salvation' drug use on my part has destroyed the memory lol. But there are those who do! Thanks for commenting! God bless you brother! Keep on rockin'

• Useful
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I am not too awful at memorizing verses themselves but I STINK at getting the "address". I can generally come up with "I think that's 1 Corinthians somewhere...."

It's like a mental block or something!

• Haha
Upvote 0

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Rather than try to memorise it, it is better to try and apply the principals that the bible teaches to every day life.

Not everyone has the sort of memory required to regurgitate complete passages from the bible. While a few people might be impressed by the feat, I am sure God would put little value on it.
It is far better to adsorb the messages the Bible contains, than the actual words.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not too awful at memorizing verses themselves but I STINK at getting the "address". I can generally come up with "I think that's 1 Corinthians somewhere...."

Yep. The address part is what always messes me up. It's because I remember the verse that I can google the address so fast.

Someone earlier today was saying something about the gospel being about animals too and I knew there was a verse to counter it because I use it all the time. But I didn't know the address. I looked it up in google with "bible muzzle ox" and found it in biblegateway. It was 1 Corinthians 9:9.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is very true my friend. We don't HAVE to memorize verses.. I for one am HORRIBLE at it. I think years of 'pre-salvation' drug use on my part has destroyed the memory lol. But there are those who do! Thanks for commenting! God bless you brother! Keep on rockin'
My three daughters were active members of Jr. Bible Quiz team back in the day. I drove the bus and those kids memorized the bible like crazy.

They are now all 30 or older. All three left the faith. The good news is that one came back a year ago - with a vengeance. I still have hope for the others.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

BTW, a few weeks ago on this very site I said something akin to your "I think it's..." when quoting scripture and one member had the audacity to tell me I was ignorant of bible content and needed to study the bible. :)

I thought it was funny, seeing as how, for the last four years I've had a 3 hour round trip commute where I spend most of that time listening to the bible on a thumb drive and I've been studying the printed bible since 1981.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yep. The address part is what always messes me up. It's because I remember the verse that I can google the address so fast.

Someone earlier today was saying something about the gospel being about animals too and I knew there was a verse to counter it because I use it all the time. But I didn't know the address. I looked it up in google with "bible muzzle ox" and found it in biblegateway. It was 1 Corinthians 9:9.

Google is my friend. Bible Gateway is also my friend. People say, "Well what if the Internet goes down" and such...I get it. But I am also fairly well-acquainted with my print Bible!

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Google is my friend. Bible Gateway is also my friend. People say, "Well what if the Internet goes down" and such...I get it. But I am also fairly well-acquainted with my print Bible!
I also use biblehub and blueletterbible for lexicons and other info. Biblehub is the easiest to use regarding lexicons.

• Useful
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi all!
Firstly, I hope you had an epic Christmas!
With 2018 approaching, I wanted to give aid to anyone looking for some neat tricks on how to study the Bible and memorize some scripture!
Plus.. I almost choke to death and lose an eye.. lol.. well.. almost..
Enjoy and God Bless!

Intriguing... .I did not know that Bible Gateway offered an audio version!!!!

That can be useful...... especially to a nap taker like myself!

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Begin each study with prayer, Ask the Lord to help you with understanding His Word.
Remember:Context is Key.
Study with others/be in a groupnthat has some mature believers in it that
are of good report and sound in the faith.

Make a habit of it...whether you pray, study/ read the Bible/ or listen to an audio bible...feed upon spiritual things, that will sustain you and come to mind readily
enough.

Upvote 0