London
✟23,868.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know the bible says to help others but don't tell anyone but I wanna make a point.

If I see I homeless person, I give them some cash if I can but I know not all of them are genuine. Often when I give someone something it feels right but sometimes I get this feeling of regret because I think they weren't actually homeless. Obviously I can't give to every homeless person I see but how do I know who to give to. Sometimes I just walk past them and I feel bad but what if they're not genuine and I give my money to someone when someone else needed it more. Do you give money to homeless people and beggers?

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you give money to homeless people and beggers?

I think it's better to give them food or clothing. When you give money you are often just feeding an addiction of some sort. Give money to organizations that are trying to help.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,171.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think it's better to give them food or clothing. When you give money you are often just feeding an addiction of some sort. Give money to organizations that are trying to help.
Yes and you can keep food bars and such in the car and in a purse. Once a man downtown approached me saying he needed money for enfamil for his child I told him to stay there while I went to a nearby store to get some. To my total lack of surprise, when I came back with the baby formula he was nowhere to be seen

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of these people on the streets have to hit rock bottom and cry out to God before they can be awakened . That there is a better way to live its the only way they can learn by experiencing this . Let spirit guide you what they need if its some $$ or maybe just a smile or a cup of cold water in Jesus' name.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know the bible says to help others but don't tell anyone but I wanna make a point.

If I see I homeless person, I give them some cash if I can but I know not all of them are genuine. Often when I give someone something it feels right but sometimes I get this feeling of regret because I think they weren't actually homeless. Obviously I can't give to every homeless person I see but how do I know who to give to. Sometimes I just walk past them and I feel bad but what if they're not genuine and I give my money to someone when someone else needed it more. Do you give money to homeless people and beggers?

We will give to those who are obviously handicapped, elderly, or a veteran.

We, typically, don't give to those who it appears could earn their own living ...

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I never give cash out. But for a while there, I carried backpacks in my trunk, and filled them with necessities such as a refillable water bottle, roll of tp, toothbrush/paste, matches, comb, washcloth or body wipes, socks, toque, gloves, scarf, underwear, Kleenex, nail clippers, that kind of thing. Stuff that makes them feel human, for survival, or something they rarely get: a treat. My ex and I were downtown, heard one obviously homeless man get told to leave the coffee shop with his "bags of junk". We said he's with us, paid for his coffee... we sat at a different but close table, made minor chit-chat, and gave him the gift of warmth and human compassion in that moment. Sometimes that's what they need more than anything. Listen to their story... they need to be seen and heard - and included. The same as anyone else needs.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yahweh never said to do this,
except to "lay down money" / "give" to the Apostles or those assigned to deliver the money by the Apostles.

Yeshua spoke of giving alms ...

Matthew 6

1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I rarely give to people holding signs. (Most of them are young men and look perfectly capable of working.) It's better to give to charities, churches and food banks, at least they do some screening. Otherwise you may be supporting sloth and drug habits. Our local church even told us not to give to those outside the church asking for money. They said they had already been helped with housing, clothes, food, etc. and weren't really in need. Despite what I just wrote, like Seeking said if they actually come up and ask me often I will give...I'm an easy mark!

Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My mother used to run a homeless shelter in our town. She knows better than anyone where your money is likely going. Most of the time it's towards a drug habit, for cigarettes, or even for a phone bill. A shocking number of homeless people have cell phones.
Food or clothing is a better option. Give your money to TRUSTED organizations, like a local soup kitchen or something similar. I don't mean to discourage you from helping because it's awesome that you want to. And I feel the same way. Sometimes I just feel sick to my stomach because I don't know which ones to trust and which ones to be wary of. But there's better places your money can go that can actually work to change these people's lives. And sometimes a blanket or some food is all they really need.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"27 “But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29 To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. 31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them." (Luke 6:27-31)

"14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. 17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:14-21)

I think we should give to every beggar, even if some are dishonest.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I try and give food or water, or things like a blanket. Almost everyone homeless you see here is in genuine need, but you can’t guarantee that some of them wouldn’t buy drugs before food, but they almost always appreciate it if you give them food.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Hi MissH84 and welcome to CF!

Question: "How should a Christian respond to beggars?"

Answer:
There are many opinions on the question of how to respond to beggars and panhandlers, which admittedly is a difficult one. Some people feel comfortable handing out money, believing it is then up to the beggar to determine how to use it, whether to buy food or alcohol/drugs. Others give food/water instead of money, understanding that some beggars would not use the money for the uses the giver intended. What is the right thing to do? Biblically speaking, we are to help the poor. But, does our responsibility end with the giving, or should we give and make sure our gifts are used for the right purposes?

Rather than giving money or food/water, some prefer to offer transportation to a local shelter and/or provide financial support directly to the shelter. By supporting rescue missions financially, we help the poor who would otherwise be begging on the street. If the local church has a food bank, contributing to it and then directing the beggar there for help may be the best way to address the need without enabling the sin. Church food banks also provide an excellent opportunity to share the gospel with the homeless and needy.

Other ways to help include giving food or gift cards to local restaurants, handing out energy bars or other non-perishables to the people on the street corners, or if the situation allows, taking the needy person(s) to a restaurant/grocery store and buying him/her a meal. God wants us to help the poor and blesses us when we do. In the words of the psalmist David, we are told, “Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble. The LORD will protect him and preserve his life; he will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes” (Psalm 41:1-2). It is indeed a worthy cause to help the poor, including the sign-holders on our street corners. Each of us must respond to these people as the Lord guides, not forgetting at the same time to offer prayers for these needy people.

www.gotquestions.org/Christian-beggars.html

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0