Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was Jesus' prescription for a particular person (due to his materialism). Applying it to everyone does not fit with the rest of the counsel of Scripture, such as Proverbs' advice on financial management.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It was a forced dilemma. The command was not to all people for all time, but to one person for the specific purpose of forcing a comparison between two things. The more valued of the two would win. For him, it was wealth, not that getting rid of his wealth was necessary, but that doing so showed what he loved most. For others, it may be other things, but I've noticed that for most people wealth is more important than following Christ, even though they might say otherwise. If in doubt, start a thread on tithing and see how adamantly people argue in favor of keeping their pennies.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But woe to you who are rich,...
When is rich rich...?

I live on the poverty line with some savings (finally) for much-needed house repairs. I think that "rich" in those verses refers to a materialistic state-of-mind.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."
Romans 3:31
Well, I can see that context isn’t really important to you, so I’ll leave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
"Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.”

What possessions?

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This passage does not address everyone's controversies with God, but it does prove that idolatry, covetousness, and all other sins (i.e. transgressions of God's Law) must be repented of before one can be Jesus' disciple and enter into life. A rebel must drop his arms to find mercy of the king, be reconciled to him, and live as a faithful, productive citizen in his realm. Every example of true justification in the Bible bears out this point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Where is scripture does it say Jesus is the Law?

"7For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work, but the one who now restrains it will continue until he is taken out of the way. 8And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will slay with the breath of His mouth and abolish by the majesty of His arrival. 9The coming of the lawless one will be accompanied by the working of Satan, with every kind of power, sign, and false wonder."

*Lawlessness is antithetical to Law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
2 Corinthians 5:21
" 21God made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God."

Psalms 1:2
"2But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on His law he meditates day and night."

James 4:12
"There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?"

Isaiah 11:4
"but with righteousness He will judge the poor, and with equity He will decide in favor of the earth's oppressed. He will strike the earth with the rod of His mouth and slay the wicked with the breath of His lips."

Isaiah 51:4
"Pay attention to Me, My people, and listen to Me, My nation; for a law will go out from Me, and My justice will become a light to the nations; I will bring it about quickly."

Isaiah 51:7
"Listen to Me, you who know what is right, you people with My law in your hearts: Do not fear the scorn of men; do not be broken by their insults."

Deuteronomy 33:2
"And he said, The LORD came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand went a fiery law for them."

Isaiah 12:2
"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0