Becoming Catholic is worth the effort, and worth the wait...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY: Whatever your reason for wanting to become Catholic, run with it. It’s your road sign pointing you in the right direction.

“What do I do till RCIA starts?” someone asked me and some other people who’d entered the Church as adults. She’d grown up in an unreligious home and didn’t have much idea how religious institutions worked, especially one with as many rules as the Catholic Church.

After a long time of reflection, in January she’d decided to become a Catholic and started going to Mass, and then found that the instruction in her new parish didn’t start till the fall. She couldn’t enter the Church for a year and a couple months. She seemed to feel that a long time to fill out. I told her to go on as she started.

This advice may help people like her, but also people who’ve entered the Church and don’t feel as excited as they once did. It happens. You can become a Catholic the way you learn a language: with great pleasure at first, when it’s fun and easy, but then you have to start learning the weird grammar and all that vocabulary. You need a reason to keep going.

Continued below.

Praying Rose

Jan 11, 2020
USA
✟49,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Why did you start going to Mass?” I asked. “Whatever brought you to the Church will carry you along.”

People find themselves asking to be received into the Church for all sorts of reasons. For the Mass, for the teaching, for the saints and heroes, for forgiveness and healing, and hundreds of others — even just a sense that religiously, the Church is where the action is.

Whatever your reason, run with it. It’s your road sign pointing you in the right direction, so follow it. It’s your happy place, so settle down there. "

Thank you for posting this, Michie. I have been having doubts and difficulties in the past several months, and this article was helpful. It's fairly simple, but the perspective helped shift my thinking a bit. And this weekend, God did the rest of the work. I finally feel spiritual peace again, whole. God is good.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for posting this, Michie. I have been having doubts and difficulties in the past several months, and this article was helpful. It's fairly simple, but the perspective helped shift my thinking a bit. And this weekend, God did the rest of the work. I finally feel spiritual peace again, whole. God is good.
You be are very welcome. Praying that you feel God’s presence even in the struggles!

Reactions: Praying Rose
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
99% of converts have a rough patch.
Indeed this is the Lord's Church and so it much harder than joining any other.
:crossrc:[For reverts as well]

Reactions: Praying Rose
Upvote 0