DWJD

Independent and stubborn, not to mention random
Mar 14, 2003
In this big world
Visit site
✟8,029.00
Faith
Non-Denom
For all the messianic jews here, how did you become one? Was it through your own inquiring and discovery of Jesus, or were you "introduced" to Jesus by a Christian. Was it a hard experience, because I've heard that it's a really big deal, and it's like a big no, no.

I have a Jewish neighbour, though they're reformed (? meaning they don't observere all the laws and they don't follow kosher) Jews.But it's just been sort of interesting.

If you're a messianic jew, do you follow kosher, or is it more of a choice thing. Are there different "degrees" of Messianic Jews?

Sorry if these have already been asked or are "stupid" questions!

Aethelsige

Mar 29, 2003
florida
Visit site
✟218.00
Faith
Messianic
DWJD said:
For all the messianic jews here, how did you become one? Was it through your own inquiring and discovery of Jesus, or were you "introduced" to Jesus by a Christian. Was it a hard experience, because I've heard that it's a really big deal, and it's like a big no, no.

I have a Jewish neighbour, though they're reformed (? meaning they don't observere all the laws and they don't follow kosher) Jews.But it's just been sort of interesting.

If you're a messianic jew, do you follow kosher, or is it more of a choice thing. Are there different "degrees" of Messianic Jews?

Sorry if these have already been asked or are "stupid" questions!

How do you become one? hmm well there are 2 answers to that.
One answer is that is God that does it. The other answer is to what are you expected to do. First thing is that God knows your situation and how best to effect you. First you need to believe in the Torah and the whole of the Tenach. To trust God that the promises he made concerning the Messiah of Isreal has come when HaShem said He would. Zechariah 9:9 and Daniel 9:25. Bless God that he gave the exact time of the Messiah. Remember that Yeshua and Mariam and Yoshef and all his deciples were all Jewish. There are differing opinions within the Messianic community regarding the Law. Those in authority in this chat room may speak to your concerns, but from what i have seen some say that Law is to be observed. All of it that can be. Obviously the Temple is no longer standing so. But it is clear from Yeshua's statements that He did not come here to start a new religion. So now you should see that you need to get as close to the Father/God as you can. He is really your Father.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2003
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
✟9,288.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
I grew up believing in Christianity from the age of 15. I didn't always stay with it because I was rebellious. I later came back to study the Bible and many writings about 15 years ago for about 3 1/2 years. All this time from the age of 15 to 25 I didn't go to church. For that 3 1/2 years I did. I also studied fervently to find the truth in studying. I then joined a church and didn't feel as though I fit in with them at all, so left. About 15 weeks ago I started to really search once again for a Fellowship since basically my life was in the dumps. I went to a couple churches and didn't feel like I fit in once again. The last one I went to for about a little over a month and then left. I then met someone on #christian who said why not check out "Messianic Judaism". I then and found that they follow what YHWH does teach. I then joined Fellowship of Messiah and have since felt like family. It is amazing how much they worship and honor YHWH and teach HIS Truth.

Here is a recent article I found for I am a non-Jew and therefore have thought long and hard on the subject as to how gentiles fit in with the Lost tribe of Israel. Read for yourself:
Jewish Roots of Christianity for beginners
http://www.alphamall.com/teshuva/begin.htm
What about Gentiles? Aren't they exempt from keeping the Torah? Well yes, that is correct -- but please notice that Gentiles are not included in the new covenant [Hebrews 8:8-10]. Notice, also, that Paul refers to Gentiles in the past tense in 1Corinthians 12:2. Also Paul talks of Gentiles being grafted into Israel in Romans 11:17. It is therefore incumbent on anyone being grafted into the commonwealth of Israel to abide by the terms of the covenant because they are no longer Gentiles.
There are many other articles located here:
http://www.alphamall.com/teshuva/
As well as here:
http://www.torahresource.com/engdwnld.html
That I find very fulfilling and eye opening.

May the peace that transcends all understanding be with you,
Tag

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2003
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
✟9,288.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Pray4Isrel said:
Hmmm... I don't know as I see the point you are making.
See, I believe I am still a Gentile.
I can't become a Jew. But I can be grafted in as Romans 11 talks about but just because I am grafted in does not make me Jewish.

You once were a person that wasn't part of YHWH's people am I right?
Then when you believed in Him and followed Yeshua in Faith you became part of YHWH's people am I right?
And since you are part of YHWH's people you will live HIS WAYS, not the worlds ways am I right?
And since we have Faith and believe we obey YHWH and do His commands since HE said to.
That is how I look at being grafted in.

Tag

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2003
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
✟9,288.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Pray4Isrel said:
Yes I believe what you have stated, however I personally believe that I am not Jewish. I am still a Gentile, but now I am a grafted-in Gentile into God's Chosen Jewish People.
Romans 11 does not tell me that I become Jewish when I am grafted in, rather I am now able to receive a part of the blessing.
Maybe I am only confusing things worse :help:

One thing I have been very interested in is the Two houses, Judah and Israel. If Judah is the Jews and Israel is therefore the Gentiles since the Northern Kingdom lost their identity, then I would say Hebrew 11:25-27 and other parts of the scriptures talk of Israel. When YHWH divorced Israel and therefore spread them out to be part of the gentile nations. Those that will be saved are those who are in the Vine and not any others who don't have Faith in Yeshua and serve YHWH. So that is why I believe when we non-Jews that are Grafted in are as people of Israel and therefore Jews. But now I think that maybe instead of Jews then how about Israelites then? Hmmm. Interesting thought. Remember YHWH's people for the longest time are Israel and that included people that became one with them that were gentiles.

Tag

Upvote 0

DWJD

Independent and stubborn, not to mention random
Mar 14, 2003
In this big world
Visit site
✟8,029.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm not exactly sure if you get my question. I was wondering about JEWS that came to believe that Jesus is the Messiah.

But i didn't really know that there were people who "became Jewish". I knew that if you married a Jewish person you could become a Jew, but I didn't really think of just "ordinary" ( not the best term, I'm not saying you're not ordinary) people converting to Judaism.

Upvote 0

ServingHim

Jun 24, 2003
✟150.00
DWJD said:
But i didn't really know that there were people who "became Jewish". I knew that if you married a Jewish person you could become a Jew, but I didn't really think of just "ordinary" ( not the best term, I'm not saying you're not ordinary) people converting to Judaism.

Is there even a way for a gentile to convert to Judaism as long as one still believes in Yeshua? I mean, there is no conversion process into Messianic Judaism, is there?

Upvote 0

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
You don't become a Jew by marrying a Jew. In fact only children with a Jewish mother would be considered Jewish - i.e. Me.

I was born Jewish, though not raised to be one. It wasn't until my early teens that I was even told of my Jewish ancestry.. which at that point made sense because of my grandmother's practices. Eventually after a long and painful process (having been a diest) I became a Christian as a teenager.

Anyways early on in College I went through a "crisis of faith" because I got so hung up on the dogmas of the Christians groups I believed in. My beliefs were proven false, but I hung onto my faith and sought the truth.

In the end I came to the completeness of my faith in Messianic Judaism. Fully accepting the fullness and continuity of the gospel and my heritage.

Only in the last couple years have I really been getting familiar and acquainted with reform judaism. I'm used to either Orthodox or Secular. Now that I'm leaving in the NE U.S. I've learned just how big a thing Reform Judaism is (my roommate now is reform).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yod

the wandering goy
Sep 6, 2003
Dallas, TX
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Messianic
One thing I have been very interested in is the Two houses, Judah and Israel. If Judah is the Jews and Israel is therefore the Gentiles

but they aren't...that house of cards falls down with just a little logic properly applied.

Here's what you are missing in your search to be one of the chosen people.

For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, 16and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility.

He has not made us jews nor them gentiles...but we have become something else altogether.

The Ekklesia

We each have distinctions within that Body yet we are each His chosen for His pleasure.

Upvote 0

Bon

Truth Seeker
Jul 26, 2004
✟17,259.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
TJT said:
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a web site that offered a complete version of the Bible in Hebrew. I have found Hebrew pronuciations with english letters but not a Hebrew translation with Hebrew characters. If anyone knows of a site I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0.htm

Do you mean like this?

Shalom

Bon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Avodah

Mar 6, 2005
Southwest Missouri
✟15,210.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Pray4Isrel said:
Yes I believe what you have stated, however I personally believe that I am not Jewish. I am still a Gentile, but now I am a grafted-in Gentile into God's Chosen Jewish People.
Romans 11 does not tell me that I become Jewish when I am grafted in, rather I am now able to receive a part of the blessing.
Maybe I am only confusing things worse :help:

No, you are not confusing things. You are not Jewish, but so what? It is not a sin to be a Gentile. Just be happy that you are in the Kingdom!

Being grafted into the commonwealth of Israel does not make one Jewish or even as some like say "A spiritual Jew." You're a nonJewish member of the commonwealth as illustrated in Romans 11 with the olive tree analogy. Gentiles are not second class citizens in the Kingdom, and there is no reason for them to desire to be Jewish.

I am Jewish, and trust me, it is not all that it is cracked up to be. I personally know some folks will use the Bible anyway they can to justify calling themselves Jewish when in fact they are Irish, Italian, and so on. They really don't know what they are asking for.

God has made you what you are. I am glad that you have such a balanced understanding of this. Anyone not satisfied being a Gentile, are inadvertantly saying that God made a mistake when He made them.

Upvote 0

yod

the wandering goy
Sep 6, 2003
Dallas, TX
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Messianic
Avodah said:
God has made you what you are. I am glad that you have such a balanced understanding of this. Anyone not satisfied being a Gentile, are inadvertantly saying that God made a mistake when He made them.

what a good point!

Concerning the original post, you won't find a whole lot of actual jewish messianics here.

But you can find full testimonies from jews who have come to faith at ;

http://www.messianictimes.com/HOME/

http://www.jewishvoicetoday.org/index2.htm

http://www.jewishvoicetoday.org/index2.htm

Upvote 0

Velcro

Mar 6, 2005
West Coast
✟986.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You wrote,

The reason you had many people of various ethnicities answer you was because many people call all those in the Messianic shuls "Messianic Jews," whetheror not they are Jewish. I just call myself "Messianic," just as others may call themselves "Baptist" or "Presbyterian."

When anyone joins Messianism, it is often hard, because family and friends may reject them, or at least not understand their decision. When a Jew accepts Y'shua in any way, it is almost invariably very difficult for those reasons, and they may be disowned by their families.

Depending upon the Messianic shul each one is in, its teachings, and the individual, one may remain kosher or one may not. I have heard of shuls that teach their people to reject kashroot (or the kosher) teaching of Torah, based upon Peter's dream (!), and they will deliberately serve ham sandwiches during oneg! Thus, you may say that there are varying degrees of Messianics.

My shul, for example, teaches that Torah remains relevant and that we should eat kosher. However, I am sure (although I am unaware of any in my shul) that as individuals vary, so does their understanding and practice of kashroot.

With regard to the "two house" theory and the newly-monikered "one law" theory, these opposing ideas are practiced and taught in many shuls. The shuls that are with the MJC have a definite leaning toward the two-house theory, because the MJC espouses it. However, many within their congregations have rejected it.

Many who are not connected with them (i.e. Torah Resource and First Fruits of Zion) reject the two-house theory and have been recently labeled by the MJC as "one law" teachers, because they teach that there is only one salvation for all people.

As a result of the MJC's two-house teaching, they have developed a way for people to convert, becoming Jews. I am not sure of their process, but many have used it and are now called "Jews" by the MJC.

Upvote 0

yod

the wandering goy
Sep 6, 2003
Dallas, TX
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Messianic
As a result of the MJC's two-house teaching, they have developed a way for people to convert, becoming Jews. I am not sure of their process, but many have used it and are now called "Jews" by the MJC.

and this is replacement theology of the opposite extreme from christian versions.

who in the world is MJC?

Upvote 0

Avodah

Mar 6, 2005
Southwest Missouri
✟15,210.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Many who are not connected with them (i.e. Torah Resource and First Fruits of Zion) reject the two-house theory and have been recently labeled by the MJC as "one law" teachers, because they teach that there is only one salvation for all people.
Which is why I have always had so much respect for First Fruits of Zion. They one of the most balanced Messianic Ministries around. One of the best!!:thumbsup:

The MJC (whatever that is) does not have the authority to decide who is, or is not Jewish. As Yod said, it is just replacement theology working in the opposite extreme. I get so put out with this kind of garbage. We'll see how "Jewish" they are when being Jewish is once again deemed illegal. We'll see what price they are willing to pay. Anyone can be Jewish when its all bagels and Yiddishkeit.

As believers our purpose is not to see how "Jewish" we can be. Our purpose is to reach the world for the Messiah. Being Jewish is about being a light to the world, and as Jewish believers to be a light to our people Israel.

Upvote 0