The Wild West
✟472,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Our beloved Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, Metropolitan of Diokleia and hierarch of the Ecumenical Throne, has fallen asleep in the Lord on August 24th (1934-2022).

There is a memorial thread to him in the Eastern Orthodox forum, and I plan on posting some videos of my favorite lectures with Metropolitan Kallistos.

• Prayers
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is a beautiful example of a liturgy at a parish of the Orthodox Church in America,
I have beautiful memories in the OCA. The question I have is why does the pastor wear a hat when So Paul commanded men not to wear hats in church?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have beautiful memories in the OCA. The question I have is why does the pastor wear a hat when So Paul commanded men not to wear hats in church?

Because the instruction of St. Paul was specific to laity; the clergy wear headgear and vestments that are actually directly based on those of the Jewish kohanim, but furthermore these are removed during certain moments of maximum reverence. In Orthodox Churches, the men in the congregation do not wear head coverings, whereas the women do, exactly as per St. Paul’s instructions. Additionally a priest cannot be remarried, because that would violate St. Paul’s instruction to St. Timothy that the pastor should be “the husband of one wife” (or celibate; the acceptability of celibacy for clergy is demonstrated by St. Paul himself who was celibate).

• Informative
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0