Be Very Careful: Don't Just Open Your Door!

ActionJ

Beware ... not really a " Chr
Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Hate crimes are alive and well in the USA. Don't just open your front door without knowing exactly who's on the other side or this could happen to you:

Nanny Cam Shows Intruder Beating Woman

Personally, I keep a loaded 12 Gauge at hand's reach and I never open the front door for anyone unless it's someone I recognize through the peephole or it's the pizza delivery dude.

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I live in a very-low-crime rural area, but if I don't know the person at the door, I have my hand on a 9mm pistol that they can't see.

But I'm very polite and friendly!

The world isn't Disneyland; evil exists. You have to be prepared, but you can still be nice.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a pretty paranoid way to live your life. When I lived in a tenement in Hell's Kitchen, I met my neighbors and some other interesting people by opening my door.

And I lived, unscathed, to tell the tale.

My mom, who grew up in rural Texas, used to wait by the side of the road to get stolen by gypsies, but alas! they never came.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's nothing paranoid about it. Paranoia is an irrational delusion of persecution. Do I have an irrational fear of fire because I have 3 fire extinguishers located around my house?

I don't live in fear, I live in preparation, probably for things that will never happen. But if they do happen, I'm ready.

Reactions: ActionJ
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing paranoid about it. Paranoia is an irrational delusion of persecution. Do I have an irrational fear of fire because I have 3 fire extinguishers located around my house?

I don't live in fear, I live in preparation, probably for things that will never happen. But if they do happen, I'm ready.

So is this 9mm sitting out loaded or do you keep it unloaded in a lockbox and open the box and load it every time the doorbell rings?

Paranoia includes irrational actions that minimize the chance of one thing while disproportionately increasing other dangers.

Robberies that start by someone knocking at the door are quite rare. About 100 times more likely that the guy knocking is doing so to establish that no one is home than to gain entrance.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You should never open the door to anyone.
Hate crimes or greed crimes, still can end up severely injured.

Never is a word that rarely should be used.

Back when the puppies were in their prime I was far better opening the door to someone seeking to do me ill than not. Of course the puppies would insist on coming with me. After seeing them anyone who wasn't targeting me specifically would seek a safer target.

Upvote 0

Lovely Jar

Pray Out Loud
Jun 24, 2013
✟2,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It isn't paranoia when you live in one of America's 10 deadliest cities.

Be safe and go with your gut. People are stealing things in broad daylight now they're so desperate for funds. And if they can dress to appear as a professional to the neighbors that may see them, and they knock they can strong arm their way into your house if you open the door.
The shock doesn't even stop then if you have your foot behind the door as a blocker.

People in an ICU after suffering a beating due to a home invasion would probably love to go back and be what some call paranoid. They'd have no hospital bills and wouldn't be hanging on for their life because they thought it would be nifty to meet interesting new people when they opened the door to a stranger.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/22686/america-s-10-deadliest-cities-2012

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Be safe and go with your gut. People are stealing things in broad daylight now they're so desperate for funds. And if they can dress to appear as a professional to the neighbors that may see them, and they knock they can strong arm their way into your house if you open the door.
The shock doesn't even stop then if you have your foot behind the door as a blocker.

People in an ICU after suffering a beating due to a home invasion would probably love to go back and be what some call paranoid. They'd have no hospital bills and wouldn't be hanging on for their life because they thought it would be nifty to meet interesting new people when they opened the door to a stranger.

It is if you are in Memphis and you are afraid of opening the door to STRANGERS

The murder rate in Memphis has continued to climb for three consecutive years, with a total of 157 people killed in 2012, or 24.1 murders for every 100,000 citizens. Memphis police director Toney Armstrong said around 90% of last year's homicides involved individuals who knew one another and that African American males under the age of 25 commited most of the city's homicides.

Now opening the door to a black male friend under 25 would be a different story.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So is this 9mm sitting out loaded or do you keep it unloaded in a lockbox and open the box and load it every time the doorbell rings?

It's loaded, and in my pocket, whenever I have pants on.

Paranoia includes irrational actions that minimize the chance of one thing while disproportionately increasing other dangers.

I don't remember seeing that definition in the DSM...

Robberies that start by someone knocking at the door are quite rare. About 100 times more likely that the guy knocking is doing so to establish that no one is home than to gain entrance.

Oddly enough, home invasions are a particular problem in this part of the country, and they often begin with someone knocking on the door wanting to use your phone or some other pretext, then barging in.

I have never lived in a nicer place or among friendlier people, but the older I get the more evil I see in the world, and the greater need to be prepared for the worst, even while hoping for the best.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Oddly enough, home invasions are a particular problem in this part of the country, and they often begin with someone knocking on the door wanting to use your phone or some other pretext, then barging in.

I have never lived in a nicer place or among friendlier people, but the older I get the more evil I see in the world, and the greater need to be prepared for the worst, even while hoping for the best.

Bolding mine.

Local conditions can make a huge difference. The micro conditions make my neighborhood a very bad target. Middle class, comparatively high foot traffic and much fatter targets nearby.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
That's a pretty paranoid way to live your life. When I lived in a tenement in Hell's Kitchen, I met my neighbors and some other interesting people by opening my door.

And I lived, unscathed, to tell the tale.

My mom, who grew up in rural Texas, used to wait by the side of the road to get stolen by gypsies, but alas! they never came.

I can guarantee you that the lady who got the tar knocked out of her for no reason under the sun will likely be "paranoid" from this point forward. All it takes is that one time. Being smart, prepared, and safe isn't synonymous with being paranoid.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private

Smart man! It never hearts to learn from our experiences or from the experiences of others. We can still "meet our neighbors" without being pummeled by them. :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private

I like the old saying: "when seconds count the cops are only minutes away." By the same token, an unloaded gun is nothing more than an expensive club. So ... when seconds count an unloaded, locked away gun is only minutes away from being retrieved and loaded. That's why my loaded shotgun is easily accessible in a hidden place in my home. I happen to live in a pretty rough neighborhood. Of course, I'm a pretty rough Christian who isn't afraid to live here. I just happen to believe in being prepared. Another old saying: "hope for the best but prepare for the worst." It's a wise yet simple philosophy to adopt and live by.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's not paranoia. It's prudent safe guards to home defense when Memphis is the 4th most dangerous city in America.

So now the3 city that is the 10th most dangerous in the link you provided is now the 4th.

And the danger is STATISTICAL and 90% of it comes from those known to the victim.

Being afraid of strangers when it is not strangers who present the danger is paranoia.

Being afraid of all blacks when it is black males under 25 that present the danger is paranoia and racism.

Being afraid in San Francisco because parts of the bay area have a high crime rate is paranoia and possible homophobia (with a strange twist on racism).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
It's not paranoia. It's prudent safe guards to home defense when Memphis is the 4th most dangerous city in America.

Hey ... don't you realize that we're in the 21st century? It's about time you stopped using common sense. It's no longer politically correct. :thumbsup: ;) :D

Anyway ... you're one of a dying breed. Not too many sensible thinkers left these days. Thanks for the breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
Upvote 0