• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Be Prepared, The Coming Years will be Filled With Strife

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by GoingByzantine, Nov 20, 2019.

1. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,537
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Make sure Father Matt knows which Banya you’re talking about!

upload_2019-12-20_19-34-44.jpeg

2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+12,902
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    that's gold, gurney! GOLD!!!

3. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,482
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    (I get you’re making a joke, though I don’t watch TV, and don’t know the reference.)
    Well, where I live, it’s as natural a thing as men meeting at a coffee house or bar.
    For me it’s a sad and depressing issue, the general sense of disunity, and fracturing of all relationships to some degree or other. I really struggle in a cloud of depression over it, and the feeling of being just plain alone for the most part in most contexts is huge. That’s why these divisions within the Church, where we ought to be of one heart and mind, with clear agreement in general, alarm me, not only agreement on the content of the Symbol of Faith, which some really see as “all that is required”, but on morality, and the need for personal humility, that if one must love his neighbor and his enemy, then he jolly well ought to not divorce his wife just because she may seem like an enemy at times, and if I’m told that it is more modest and humble to take off my hat in church, then I should not have reactions that are based on pride or modern thought that resist that. I ought to hold my own humility in a higher place than that, and so much the worse for me if I don’t. A lot of people don’t share the vision that we ought to submit all of what we think our own wisdom to the Church, and accept correction in everything that we find consensus on.

Having to soldier on in the face of that disunity is hard. But “Where can we go? You have the words of eternal life.”

4. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,537
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    You have to wear an Amani suit and eat soup at Mandy’s.....plus start working out.

5. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,537
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    The reference was to Kenny Bania, an annoying, self-absorbed, coattails-gripping irritant on Seinfeld. Hilarious actually.

I’m not making light of your situation, though, trust me, Rus.

Being in a classroom and in a school, I don’t get through one day without a cloud of frustration and depression hitting me for at least a few minutes.

Schools now have kindergartners throwing chairs and evacuating classes while little Billy works out his frustrations, Downs Syndrome kids having full-day aides being paid to walk them around the school and sit with them in class pretending they actually know what school they’re in, 1:1 aides for “tier 3” level lunatic kids who need constant breaks, breathers, and respites, RTI reading interventions because parents refuse to read with their kids, children who are zombie-like from playing thousands of hours of Fortnite, kids eating Hot Cheetoes st 10am as a snack, and teachers wind up “in trouble” more than the kids.

People are generally obese diabetics who have the most BASIC education, Star Wars movies have lesbians doing lip locks now, everyone is covered with primitive tattoos and frisbee-sized primitive ear discs, nose rings that make girls look like Thai water buffaloes, people are willing to trade freedom for safety and security, people proudly tout how they’re “not religious, but spiritual,” homeless are EVERYWHERE, churches are used more for social connections than worship, and generally American culture is dead in this post-Christian nihilist utopia I’m living in.

Marriage isn’t easy. I’m alone A LOT!!! My wife, if she’s not on shift at the hospital, is busy with school work. And when we do talk, her brain is fried from all that is on her plate. My kids are becoming teens. They’re SUPER respectful and well-behaved as well as very faithful to Orthodoxy, but they are more aloof and like their solitude. My job is stressful, and I feel like I have a front seat to the end of Western Civilization. I do actually think Civil War 2 is extremely possible.

Within the Church there were, are, and always will be secular humanist fools and heretics and hypocritical loud mouths trying to cause trouble. I’m grateful that my parish is fairly conservative and faithful. But outside the safe walls of Orthodoxy, it’s endless forests of orcs....

• Prayers Prayers x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. ArmyMatt

+12,902
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    you only eat the soup if you already had a hot dog.

(that's my only reference!)

7. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,537
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    (To Jerry) “You should start working out!”

8. ArmyMatt

+12,902
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    not gonna take the bait

9. Euodius

Euodius Are you kitten me right meow? Supporter

+218
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    Well, that's it, isn't it. The noose is being tightened around everyone's neck. Like St. Pope Callixtus and St. Anti-pope Hippolytus embracing during their martyrdom.

This is a time for keeping one's head low and holding on to what is true. Anything added to truth - complexities, theories, opinions - these will kill us. A return to truth is what is needed, to hold onto that which we are called to be witness to, that is the only end to any schism.

10. Lady Donna Marie

Lady Donna Marie Well-Known Member

+334
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  11. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,537
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I will be as succinct as possible—-huh!?

12. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,872
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private