Tifton
✟23,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What are your interpretations of Ecclesiastes 7:16-18?

I personally love, love, love Ecclesiastes. It's probably one of my favorite books in the Bible when it comes to perspective on the physical world and the life therein. But there is one verse, or rather, paragraph that has stumped me ever since I first read it months ago.

That being Ecclesiastes 7:16-18. Here it is as it reads in the NASB:

I have seen everything during my lifetime of futility; there is a righteous man who perishes in his righteousness and there is a wicked man who prolongs his life in his wickedness. Do not be excessively righteous and do not be overly wise. Why should you ruin yourself? Do not be excessively wicked and do not be a fool. Why should you die before your time? It is good that you grasp one thing and also not let go of the other; for the one who fears God comes forth with both of them.

Now I think any Christian would look at this and ask: What in the world could this mean? And that's sort of where I've been since I've read it. What does it mean to not be overly righteous or overly wicked? How is it that a Man of God could come forth with both righteousness and wickedness, and this be considered a good thing? Come on guys, help me out!

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
To be excessively righteous means to attempt godly acts beyond measure - without discernment - such as fasting to the point of getting sick or becoming proud or putting yourself in danger expecting God to save you (ex. what the devil suggested to Christ).

To be overly wise means to investigate matters of faith such as the nature of God or His hidden judgments, when silence and reverence are more appropriate.

Virtue and Wisdom are to be found in moderation, in avoiding the two extremes. Wickedness and zeal not according to reason are the extremes of the former. Foolishness and arrogance are the extremes of the latter.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
What does it mean? Everybody knows the type, the pompous, self-righteous jackass that is no fun to be around.

It seems whoever wrote Ecclessiastes is advocating something like the Golden Mean, which was a common theme during the Axial Age when this work was written down. He's advocating moderation.

Upvote 0

david shelby

Mar 14, 2019
USA
✟2,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What are your interpretations of Ecclesiastes 7:16-18?

"Be not righteous overmuch; neither make thyself overwise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?"

Don't try to be all perfect on ceremonial matters.

"Be not overmuch wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?"

Don't be immoral.

Upvote 0