• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Be Careful of What Your Child Reads

NotSparedTheRod

Nov 19, 2022
Kentucky
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Be Careful of What Your Child Reads​

When I was a child, in middle school. I ran across some books that changed my life for the worse. I do not remember the titles, nor who published them. But, they were on drugs: marijuana, methamphetamine, cocaine, etc. I read them – I was (and still am) a voracious reader. I also wasn't a churchgoer, and my parents have since then attended only a few times, though they both believe in God, the sanctity of marriage (they never got divorced, thanks be to the Lord). However, that's slightly off-point for the moment – I read those books, available at a public school library. Why they were in a middle school library I don't quite understand – except to perhaps scare children away from the use of such things. However, they, along with D.A.R.E., only whetted my appetite and curiosity about such mind-altering substances, instead of the intended effect of them scaring me. I blame myself, and not my parents – they always were and still are anti-drug and anti-criminality. I can only say that I fell to temptation by the Devil – who knew he went even after middle-schoolers? Consider it a warning – he does. I even promised myself to try such things out... the term “mind-altering substances” is not quite the communicative artillery shell it should be, considering the perhaps permanent effects such things have had upon my soul and psyche. I also think that it was potentially irresponsible to have such books in a school library. I don't remember if they glorified the use of such substances, but I highly doubt it. I might just be looking to shift blame from myself, which is a practice to be avoided, IMO. There's also a “psychonaut” site called Erowid.org. Look out for it in your kids' web browsers – it contains experience descriptions that can very easily lead people to underestimate drugs. I know it did that for me.

My fascination with drugs led me into getting thrown out of my parents' house, a period of alcoholism that God helped me break, before I even really knew He exists, and eventual use of methamphetamine that nearly killed me. I think the the Devil himself must have prodded my heart with his pitchfork one time – I'm certain I nearly had a coronary. I got off meth for a while, then relapsed, ending up in the hospital for a period of time with my mind torn apart by fear, confusion, and shame. It let me to near-apostasy and suspecting some Pastors I knew of plotting against me. I have since publicly apologized to them, though I am still too ashamed to talk to some people about it save anonymously. I'm still trying to draw closer to the Lord, and I sense he also wants me to quit smoking cigs. Please help me by praying for me. I pray that Christ extends his healing hand to all addicts in the grip of drug addiction. God's will be done on such matters, as it should be in all things. Amen.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

When I was a child, in middle school. I ran across some books that changed my life for the worse. I do not remember the titles, nor who published them. But, they were on drugs: marijuana, methamphetamine, cocaine, etc. I read them – I was (and still am) a voracious reader. I also wasn't a churchgoer, and my parents have since then attended only a few times, though they both believe in God, the sanctity of marriage (they never got divorced, thanks be to the Lord). However, that's slightly off-point for the moment – I read those books, available at a public school library. Why they were in a middle school library I don't quite understand – except to perhaps scare children away from the use of such things. However, they, along with D.A.R.E., only whetted my appetite and curiosity about such mind-altering substances, instead of the intended effect of them scaring me. I blame myself, and not my parents – they always were and still are anti-drug and anti-criminality. I can only say that I fell to temptation by the Devil – who knew he went even after middle-schoolers? Consider it a warning – he does. I even promised myself to try such things out... the term “mind-altering substances” is not quite the communicative artillery shell it should be, considering the perhaps permanent effects such things have had upon my soul and psyche. I also think that it was potentially irresponsible to have such books in a school library. I don't remember if they glorified the use of such substances, but I highly doubt it. I might just be looking to shift blame from myself, which is a practice to be avoided, IMO. There's also a “psychonaut” site called Erowid.org. Look out for it in your kids' web browsers – it contains experience descriptions that can very easily lead people to underestimate drugs. I know it did that for me.

My fascination with drugs led me into getting thrown out of my parents' house, a period of alcoholism that God helped me break, before I even really knew He exists, and eventual use of methamphetamine that nearly killed me. I think the the Devil himself must have prodded my heart with his pitchfork one time – I'm certain I nearly had a coronary. I got off meth for a while, then relapsed, ending up in the hospital for a period of time with my mind torn apart by fear, confusion, and shame. It let me to near-apostasy and suspecting some Pastors I knew of plotting against me. I have since publicly apologized to them, though I am still too ashamed to talk to some people about it save anonymously. I'm still trying to draw closer to the Lord, and I sense he also wants me to quit smoking cigs. Please help me by praying for me. I pray that Christ extends his healing hand to all addicts in the grip of drug addiction. God's will be done on such matters, as it should be in all things. Amen.

Thank you for sharing. I'm old enough to be your grandmother. I had divorced non-Christian parents and lots of challenges. My dad was very anti-Christian, my mother was non-Christian becoming more so as the years went by. She stopped smoking when I was 9; she started again after I married at age 22 3/4. I chose to avoid alcohol because of an alcoholic stepfather. My mother had convinced me to use my money for better things than cigarettes. Some of her children became smokers, alcoholics and ???

I'll gladly pray for you. I married someone who smoked. I tied to convince him to quit; that wasn't helpful. I prayed and prayed. He kept smoking until he watched his brother die of lung cancer. But he had a lot pain from injuries and was addicted to steroid shots and opioids(doctor prescribed). He died at age 64. :( Two of my sisters have died .One was 45 and one was about 53. A third sister is dying a painful death (she's 11 years younger that I am).

• Prayers
Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

NotSparedTheRod

Nov 19, 2022
Kentucky
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for sharing. I'm old enough to be your grandmother. I had divorced non-Christian parents and lots of challenges. My dad was very anti-Christian, my mother was non-Christian becoming more so as the years went by. She stopped smoking when I was 9; she started again after I married at age 22 3/4. I chose to avoid alcohol because of an alcoholic stepfather. My mother had convinced me to use my money for better things than cigarettes. Some of her children became smokers, alcoholics and ???

I'll gladly pray for you. I married someone who smoked. I tied to convince him to quit; that wasn't helpful. I prayed and prayed. He kept smoking until he watched his brother die of lung cancer. But he had a lot pain from injuries and was addicted to steroid shots and opioids(doctor prescribed). He died at age 64. :( Two of my sisters have died .One was 45 and one was about 53. A third sister is dying a painful death (she's 11 years younger that I am).
Thanks, I appreciate the prayers. I'm really sure God wants me to quit smoking, so any help you and He can give in that regard is appreciated.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thanks, I appreciate the prayers. I'm really sure God wants me to quit smoking, so any help you and He can give in that regard is appreciated.

My mother would quit cold turkey. It made me wonder if she was inhaling less than other smokers.
My MIL had emphysema and kept smoking. When she was on oxygen in the hospital she got so angry at the nurse for not giving her a cigarette that she had a heart attack and that convinced her to stop smoking. She substituted hard candy for a while. I think quitting is different for different people.

My addiction has always been sugar. I've gone 3 weeks without it and that convinces me that I can overcome the desire. I can't cheat even once or I'll eat a whole pie or cake in one day.

Upvote 0

NotSparedTheRod

Nov 19, 2022
Kentucky
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My mother would quit cold turkey. It made me wonder if she was inhaling less than other smokers.
My MIL had emphysema and kept smoking. When she was on oxygen in the hospital she got so angry at the nurse for not giving her a cigarette that she had a heart attack and that convinced her to stop smoking. She substituted hard candy for a while. I think quitting is different for different people.

My addiction has always been sugar. I've gone 3 weeks without it and that convinces me that I can overcome the desire. I can't cheat even once or I'll eat a whole pie or cake in one day.
Oh, I know all about sugar myself. I'm pre-diabetic and have to watch it too. it's all over my mom's side of the family. A couple of things that might help you mitigate your sugar intake are those fudge drizzle cookies from Kroger and The Dollar Store - they're low in sugar, but high in flavor. Kroger also has no-sugar-added ice cream that's nice. My mom also quit cold turkey, but not before she got on oxygen, minimally. I keep praying that God will fix her lungs some day so she can go about without her tank by her side.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Oh, I know all about sugar myself. I'm pre-diabetic and have to watch it too. it's all over my mom's side of the family. A couple of things that might help you mitigate your sugar intake are those fudge drizzle cookies from Kroger and The Dollar Store - they're low in sugar, but high in flavor. Kroger also has no-sugar-added ice cream that's nice. My mom also quit cold turkey, but not before she got on oxygen, minimally. I keep praying that God will fix her lungs some day so she can go about without her tank by her side.
My MIL finally ended up in the hospital until her insurance ran out and she passed away unable to breathe on her own. I think she was 63. My husband wasn't able to be be with her, but I'm sure her younger sister was. They lived in the same town in a far away state.

I don't do artificial sweeteners. My will power is working. The sugar cravings have subsided.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank you very much for sharing this.
Your honesty is very apparent, and God will reward you.
You have reminded me that there are many people out there who need our prayers.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What a reminder of how much we need God in our life.
How sad that Adam turned away from God, and plunged the human family into alienation from God.
How thankful we are that our loving father, so abundant in mercy, has made it possible to be reconciled to him, and have the glorious freedom of the children of God.
I am so grateful for the good news that God has given us. Jeremiah 29:11

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi.
Quitting bad habits is one of the most difficult things to do. Not impossible, but very difficult.

There is one thing that is very very important in succeeding - love for God.
That does not mean that even though you are trying your best, you will not fail on occasion, and that does not mean you don't love God at all.
The Bible says at 1 John 1:8-10
If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.​
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous, so that He will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.​
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.​
We are all imperfect, and struggle against natural sinful tendencies.
The important thing is to keep trying, and we will get there, with God's help.

Love for God though, is the motivating factor.
What that means, is we must really - really get to know God - his standards, ways - everything we can know about God, from his word.
The more we come to know of his ways, the more our appreciation and love for him will grow - moving us to give up anything that we know displeases him.
This involves taking time to read his word daily, and immerse ourselves in spiritual activities.

I remember when I came to know God, I had to make changes in my life, and give us some things I was doing.
Some were not easy to let go, but what helped me was my diligent effort to make my thinking line up with God's thinking.
So, what I did, was read the Bible regularly, and spiritual material that addressed my particular problem. By making that deliberate effort, I came to the realization that, you know what. God's way is always right. What he teaches us is for our benefit (Isaiah 48:17, 18).

It became easy from there forward, to give up anything that was not pleasing to God.
I never regretted giving them up, and I never longed for them, or looked back.

This can be the same for you.
Drop me a PM anytime you want to talk.
In fact, it helps talking with someone when the urge to do wrong, come on. So you can contact me when those urges are strong, and we can talk.
:pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
i was a teenager in the 70s and there was a huge amount of anti-drug media then. all it ever did for me was make me curious and determined to explore that world as quick as i could.
The anti-drug media itself does not keep evil away. God must intervene. My mother raised six kids. We didn't all have the same personalities and influences.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What a reminder of how much we need God in our life.
How sad that Adam turned away from God, and plunged the human family into alienation from God.
How thankful we are that our loving father, so abundant in mercy, has made it possible to be reconciled to him, and have the glorious freedom of the children of God.
I am so grateful for the good news that God has given us. Jeremiah 29:11
I hope you are aware that He didn't plan to save every single person. He could have stopped Satan in the Garden of Eden.

God reserves the right to show mercy to some and not others, as Paul demonstrates from Scripture. God is like a potter who creates some vessels for destruction and others for glory.
He has power to bring His plans to fruition.

Upvote 0