Be careful how I come to a conclusion of a Christian?

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We've all come across these types. The "phony" Christian. The one that wears their Jesus or God on their social media pages on a constant basis, but if you know them well enough, they seem to not really act as such?

I had a discussion with a female friend of mine about a woman I'd seen on Match. She's a fitness bikini model and a Trump lover. Let's just say she's far from modest when it comes to the bikini, too.
I actually had spoken with her on the phone a long time ago when she moved here. And the vibe I got from her was rather arrogant and narcissistic. Her tone is kind of condescending too. And her dating profile seems a bit on the abrasive side. Basically, the qualities of Trump, ironically.

My friend told me to not really take her actions into consideration as even a saved Christian may have a long road to hoe regarding their lack of reverence that seem to contradict what they display...as it can still be a struggle after being born again. Like with my friend, apparently, she is working on her patience these days...it's a challenge.

I'm kind of confused on this?

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe the sinner is not the person who is wearing a swimming costume, but the person who lusts when they see someone wearing a swimming costume. Just a thought.

In any case, I think there is a need for context here. Wearing a swimming costume at the beach is very different to wearing a swimming costume at a mall. And I suppose people marketing swimming costumes could use plastic mannequins, but are we really that scared of a real human body, which, let us not forget, is God's very own design.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you." 1 Cor 5

"Know this know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." 1 Tim 31-5

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My 'go to' has always been Gal 5:24 with Gal 5:22-23 when it comes to making friends with other people who say they are Christians because there is a difference.

There can be believers who confess that they are a work in progress but who strive and work on their flesh. You see it in terms of what they immediately come out with i.e. an almost visible struggle. They fall or slip back into old ways but you at least see an effort being made to be conformed under Christ.

The other category will use 'work in progress' as an excuse to continue in the flesh with little to no remorse.

I have been both. When I became a Christian 25 years ago I still had habits typical of when I was an atheist. Now, I am a lot different. However if I had a Christian brother who was looking for a potential wife, I would have recommended him to run a mile away from the me of 25 years ago - he would have been unevenly yoked and unhappy.

As your sister in Christ be careful to be yoked correctly with a woman who is at the same spiritual walk as yourself. Ask a lot of questions and see what their responses are like. What you sensed on speaking with her might be worth paying attention to. What you described here gave me the impression that you both might not be well matched.

Just my tuppence..

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe the sinner is not the person who is wearing a swimming costume, but the person who lusts when they see someone wearing a swimming costume. Just a thought.

In any case, I think there is a need for context here. Wearing a swimming costume at the beach is very different to wearing a swimming costume at a mall. And I suppose people marketing swimming costumes could use plastic mannequins, but are we really that scared of a real human body, which, let us not forget, is God's very own design.

Well, her suits are very sexual. She was even topless in a couple of them...but it was a side shots maybe. I dunno. Some were aimed specifically at body parts rather than the whole body...if you catch my drift. Just like with a lot of women on social media, there's a yearning for attention. An ego boost.

Anyways, I know a lady fitness enthusiast that's Christian and her outfits are more modest. In fact, she stepped away from what this woman did as it wasn't her cup of tea anymore.

But visiting the nature of her verbiage when we conversed, there was a hint of narcassism when she spoke and as well as how she presented herself in her profile write-up. She, of course, wanted someone just as buff as she was, which makes sense....so that's an evenly yoked situation there when it comes to the physical in what she's seeking. But, it's hard to take her seriously as a Christian if she's wearing a MAGA hat.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sanctification is a process. No one has been perfected. Each person has areas of strength and weakness. Some are more visual than others. It is alleged that more than 50 percent of Christian men are addicted to inappropriate contentography. Yet their behavior isn't apparent to the naked eye. Nevertheless, do you shun them and refuse their friendship? Do you cease to pray for them and hope for the Lord's deliverance and restoration on their behalf? I doubt it.

You encountered her on a dating site and its impacted your mindset. Would this warrant a thread if you saw her in church or if it wasn't the opposite sex? Would you call a brother phony if he's struggling? Or a narcissist? I don't think so.

Generalizations are divisive. If you truly saw her as a sister in Christ, you'd pray for the Lord's intervention. In my opinion, this OP is unloving and judgmental.

~Bella

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We've all come across these types. The "phony" Christian. The one that wears their Jesus or God on their social media pages on a constant basis, but if you know them well enough, they seem to not really act as such?

I had a discussion with a female friend of mine about a woman I'd seen on Match. She's a fitness bikini model and a Trump lover. Let's just say she's far from modest when it comes to the bikini, too.
I actually had spoken with her on the phone a long time ago when she moved here. And the vibe I got from her was rather arrogant and narcissistic. Her tone is kind of condescending too. And her dating profile seems a bit on the abrasive side. Basically, the qualities of Trump, ironically.

My friend told me to not really take her actions into consideration as even a saved Christian may have a long road to hoe regarding their lack of reverence that seem to contradict what they display...as it can still be a struggle after being born again. Like with my friend, apparently, she is working on her patience these days...it's a challenge.

I'm kind of confused on this?

Most women dress to attract men (and it usually works) , bible says for women to dress in such a way to not bring attention to themselves. Because of the age we live in .... christian women are influenced ... and I would say deceived about their dress ..... "liberal christian".

so ????? with this person

maybe ask here how long she has been a christian?

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Generalizations are divisive. If you truly saw her as a sister in Christ, you'd pray for the Lord's intervention. In my opinion, this OP is unloving and judgmental.

~Bella

Woah, hardly at all. I think you are getting me wrong. I'm just trying to figure out myself. I was trying to put the post in a way that wouldn't sound so judgy and cringy. Sorry if it came off like that.

I think I may step away from message boards for a while. A lot of outrage happening these days or being taken out of context.

God bless.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Woah, hardly at all. I think you are getting me wrong. I'm just trying to figure out myself. I was trying to put the post in a way that wouldn't sound so judgy and cringy. Sorry if it came off like that.

What is there to figure out? Seriously? I think you're asking the wrong question.

~Bella

Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, her suits are very sexual.
In your eyes, but not necessarily in anyone else's eyes.

She was even topless in a couple of them...but it was a side shots maybe. I dunno. Some were aimed specifically at body parts rather than the whole body...if you catch my drift. Just like with a lot of women on social media, there's a yearning for attention. An ego boost.
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong or un-Christian about professional modelling. But as always, the context of behaviour is as important as the behaviour itself.

In 1 Timothy Ch 2 Vs 9 we learn that:
"I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes"

On its own this might appear to be an instruction for women to dress modestly at all times. However, when we zoom out we can see that the correct context for this is how women are instructed to behave when attending a church for worship. When attending a church for worship women are expected to dress in a modest manner that does not cause a distraction. They should also refrain from dressing in expensive attire, which I think may be because spending vast sums on clothing is not compatible with the principle of living modestly and giving generously to those less fortunate.

Although there may be things that are wrong with the modelling industry, such as pressure to look a certain way, leading to eating disorders, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with being a model for clothing. And most models probably have Instagram and other social media as a way of networking and marketing themselves. Hailey Bieber is a model, and according to Wikipedia she attends church with her husband, Justin. Like most other women, I'd guess she dresses according to the occasion.

Anyways, I know a lady fitness enthusiast that's Christian and her outfits are more modest. In fact, she stepped away from what this woman did as it wasn't her cup of tea anymore.
It's a personal choice, and you and I won't be judging if it was a sin, so it's not really any of our business. And even if you think it's a sin, then it's worth remembering that repentance is a process and a journey, rather than a single event or act at a specific point in time.

But visiting the nature of her verbiage when we conversed, there was a hint of narcassism when she spoke and as well as how she presented herself in her profile write-up. She, of course, wanted someone just as buff as she was, which makes sense....so that's an evenly yoked situation there when it comes to the physical in what she's seeking. But, it's hard to take her seriously as a Christian if she's wearing a MAGA hat.
Maybe she found that the MAGA hat was a good accessory for filtering out the people she is probably incompatible with. If she's a fan of President Trump, she might not want to waste time with people who are Trump haters.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong or un-Christian about professional modelling. But as always, the context of behaviour is as important as the behaviour itself.

Models have no input on their clothing or photoshoot. The wardrobe stylist selects the outfits with input from the designer if appropriate. The photographer controls the shoot.

And most models probably have Instagram and other social media as a way of networking and marketing themselves.

Many are models, influencers, or trying to break into the group. Some people are uncomfortable about social media posts depicting imagery or lifestyles which differ from their own. They articulate the affront and blame the individual for unhealthy thoughts or feelings when avoidance is simple. The majority aren’t attempting to bother anyone. They’re earning a living.

It's a personal choice, and you and I won't be judging if it was a sin, so it's not really any of our business. And even if you think it's a sin, then it's worth remembering that repentance is a process and a journey, rather than a single event or act at a specific point in time.

Well said. I concur. :)

~Bella

• Informative
Reactions: JustSomeBloke
Upvote 0