Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Did God ever say to "man up"?
God tells us to submit ourselves in humility and supplication to His will...

This 'man up' mantra is all a part of Satan's agenda for us to turn from God and be "self sufficient", "controller of our own destiny" etc.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
God tells us to submit ourselves in humility and supplication to His will...

This 'man up' mantra is all a part of Satan's agenda for us to turn from God and be "self sufficient", "controller of our own destiny" etc.

Are you saying that God never said that?

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When the time drew near for David to die, he gave a charge to Solomon his son. “I am about to go the way of all the earth,” he said. “So be strong, show yourself a man, and observe what the LORD your God requires: Walk in his ways, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and requirements, as written in the Law of Moses, so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go, (bold mine, 1 Kings 2:1-3, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
When the time drew near for David to die, he gave a charge to Solomon his son. “I am about to go the way of all the earth,” he said. “So be strong, show yourself a man, and observe what the LORD your God requires: Walk in his ways, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and requirements, as written in the Law of Moses, so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go, (bold mine, 1 Kings 2:1-3, 1984 NIV)

We need God's guidance and strength to fully accomplish His commands.

Jesus Himself said:

"Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me."

"Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:4-5)

Paul acknowledged this when he said:

"Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:6-10)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Did God ever say "man up"?
I have seen movies and cop shows where a cop tells a guy to ""man up" to it man" and tell the truth and it will go easier for you."
He still ends up going to prison for life instead of the Chair, but at least he got it off his concience ehehe......

As far as the the Bible, I suppose it depends on the meaning of it.

Romans 9:1-11:36 ESV
I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit— that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart.
For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh........................SO MAN UP PEOPLE!

I found a few sites that might shed some light on that for those that are interested.

http://www.faithit.com/real-meaning-of-man-up-christian/

I think He would tell me to “Man up!” To guard HER heart, not my own, to make sure I’m always first to be vulnerable, to make sure I’m communicating in a way so she never wonders where I’m at or what my intentions are.

Man up! And have hard conversations. Jesus straight up said to Peter, a disciple whom He really loved, “Get behind me Satan.” Jesus loved through confrontation. Friendships aren’t surface conversations and clean-cut BBQ’s on Friday evenings where the kids wear matching outfits and play in the yard. It’s the Sunday nights when the house is covered in a mix of clean and dirty laundry and lunches still aren’t made. Man up and talk about your problems and struggles. Romans 2:4 talks about how we see God’s kindness through repentance, so if you’re not repenting you’re missing out on Him!.....................

http://www.jorymicah.com/why-the-church-should-stop-telling-men-to-man-up/

“Man up” Bible studies, conferences, and books are damaging men, women, and marriages. Men are striving to do better, which is great, but the foundation of this striving is manipulation and fear of not being man enough. In turn, men are leading out of insecurity, instead of out of sacrificial love. This leads to all sorts of dysfunction in the home and church and is not God’s ideal for His sons and daughters.

Rarely is a woman in the church told to “woman up.” Why? Because most of the Church is convinced that men are more responsible for the home and church than women are. But God never said this! I know what some of you are thinking, “But the husband is the head of the home and therefore men are the head of the church.” Yet, there still remains no strong exegetical proof that “head” means “authority over” or “leader.” (Read Scholarly Evidence Here).............

upload_2016-6-25_13-14-21.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-25_13-14-1.jpeg
    upload_2016-6-25_13-14-1.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have seen movies and cop shows where a cop tells a guy to ""man up" to it man" and tell the truth and it will go easier for you."
As far as the the Bible, I suppose it depends on the meaning of it.

Romans 9:1-11:36 ESV
I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit— that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart.
For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh........................SO MAN UP PEOPLE!

I found a few sites that might shed some light on that for those that are interested.

http://www.faithit.com/real-meaning-of-man-up-christian/

I think He would tell me to “Man up!” To guard HER heart, not my own, to make sure I’m always first to be vulnerable, to make sure I’m communicating in a way so she never wonders where I’m at or what my intentions are.

Man up! And have hard conversations. Jesus straight up said to Peter, a disciple whom He really loved, “Get behind me Satan.” Jesus loved through confrontation. Friendships aren’t surface conversations and clean-cut BBQ’s on Friday evenings where the kids wear matching outfits and play in the yard. It’s the Sunday nights when the house is covered in a mix of clean and dirty laundry and lunches still aren’t made. Man up and talk about your problems and struggles. Romans 2:4 talks about how we see God’s kindness through repentance, so if you’re not repenting you’re missing out on Him!.....................

http://www.jorymicah.com/why-the-church-should-stop-telling-men-to-man-up/

“Man up” Bible studies, conferences, and books are damaging men, women, and marriages. Men are striving to do better, which is great, but the foundation of this striving is manipulation and fear of not being man enough. In turn, men are leading out of insecurity, instead of out of sacrificial love. This leads to all sorts of dysfunction in the home and church and is not God’s ideal for His sons and daughters.

Rarely is a woman in the church told to “woman up.” Why? Because most of the Church is convinced that men are more responsible for the home and church than women are. But God never said this! I know what some of you are thinking, “But the husband is the head of the home and therefore men are the head of the church.” Yet, there still remains no strong exegetical proof that “head” means “authority over” or “leader.” (Read Scholarly Evidence Here).............

...............................................................................View attachment 176939

Awesome!!!!!! These are EXCELLENT points. It's an entire STUDY in itself, and it could very well be, as you explained quite well, and gave excellent examples of, that God views "man up" very differently than our present culture does.

This is MOST interesting.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

In a round about way He did. Meekness, Kindness, love, patience, mercy, slowness to anger, self control, responsibility, faithfulness, joy, and all that Jazz.

He even sent the ultimate "manned-up man" as an example. Unfortunately, machismo, brutness, and our other definitions of manliness often clash with Godly manlinesss.

Just look at how people perceive Christ as "hippie, zombIe Jesus in the pejorative. If Christ was around, he would probably be considered a weak man.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Just look at how people perceive Christ as "hippie, zombIe Jesus in the pejorative. If Christ was around, he would probably be considered a weak man.
Like the Timex watch, Jesus took a licking, but He kept on ticking:

Nahum 3:2
A sound of a Whip, and sound of a quaking wheel, and horse galloping and chariot leaping. A horseman mounting.
And blazing sword and flashing spear, and many wounded and mass of corpses and there is no end to bodies.

[John 2/Reve 18]

John 2:
14 and He found in the temple those selling oxen and sheep and doves, and the money-changers sitting,
15 and having made a Whip of small cords, He put all forth out of the temple, also the sheep, and the oxen;
and of the money-changers he poured out the coins, and the tables he overthrew,

[Nahum 3:2/Reve 18:11-13]

http://www.bible.ca/pre-destruction70AD-george-holford-1805AD.htm
The Destruction Of JERUSALEM
An Absolute and Irresistible PROOF OF THE DIVINE ORIGIN OF CHRISTIANITY:

.......The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins ; and the Roman army as in triumph on the event, came and reared their ensigns against a fragment of the eastern gate, and, with sacrifices of thanksgiving, proclaimed the imperial majesty of Titus, with every possible demonstration of joy.

Reve 18:
11 And the merchants of the land are lamenting and are mourning over Her, that the cargo of them no-one is buying not-still
13 and cinnamon and incenses and attars and frankincense and wine and oil and flour and grain and beasts and sheep and of horses and of chariots and of bodies and souls of men.
[Nahum 3:2/John 2:14]

.......In executing the command of Titus, relative to the demolition of Jerusalem, the Roman soldiers not only threw down the buildings, but even dug up their foundations, and so completely levelled the whole circuit of the city, that a stranger would scarcely have known that it had ever been inhabited by human beings.
Thus was this great City, which only five months before, had been crowded with nearly two millions of people........

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Yup.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In a round about way He did. Meekness, Kindness, love, patience, mercy, slowness to anger, self control, responsibility, faithfulness, joy, and all that Jazz.

He even sent the ultimate "manned-up man" as an example. Unfortunately, machismo, brutness, and our other definitions of manliness often clash with Godly manlinesss.

interesting.....you may have hit on more than you realize, especially as you say "in a round about way".....

God is amaaaaaaaaazing and as He has stated Himself in His Word, His thoughts are not ours.....

i'm actually kinda' glad they're not.....

:D

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Like the Timex watch, Jesus took a licking, but He kept on ticking:

Nahum 3:2
A sound of a Whip, and sound of a quaking wheel, and horse galloping and chariot leaping. A horseman mounting.
And blazing sword and flashing spear, and many wounded and mass of corpses and there is no end to bodies.

[John 2/Reve 18]

John 2:
14 and He found in the temple those selling oxen and sheep and doves, and the money-changers sitting,
15 and having made a Whip of small cords, He put all forth out of the temple, also the sheep, and the oxen;
and of the money-changers he poured out the coins, and the tables he overthrew,

[Nahum 3:2/Reve 18:11-13]

http://www.bible.ca/pre-destruction70AD-george-holford-1805AD.htm
The Destruction Of JERUSALEM
An Absolute and Irresistible PROOF OF THE DIVINE ORIGIN OF CHRISTIANITY:

.......The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins ; and the Roman army as in triumph on the event, came and reared their ensigns against a fragment of the eastern gate, and, with sacrifices of thanksgiving, proclaimed the imperial majesty of Titus, with every possible demonstration of joy.

Reve 18:
11 And the merchants of the land are lamenting and are mourning over Her, that the cargo of them no-one is buying not-still
13 and cinnamon and incenses and attars and frankincense and wine and oil and flour and grain and beasts and sheep and of horses and of chariots and of bodies and souls of men.
[Nahum 3:2/John 2:14]

.......In executing the command of Titus, relative to the demolition of Jerusalem, the Roman soldiers not only threw down the buildings, but even dug up their foundations, and so completely levelled the whole circuit of the city, that a stranger would scarcely have known that it had ever been inhabited by human beings.
Thus was this great City, which only five months before, had been crowded with nearly two millions of people........

Whoa, amigo!!! Great examples and illustrations......

i always am intrigued with the shock that many express that Jesus actually MADE a whip and went to town on driving those money-changers out of His Father's House hahahaaaaa

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
God doesn't like cowardliness, says so many times, and He isn't pleased with feminine men.

Sensitivity, gentleness, etc. are all righteous characteristics though.

Macho stuff is not good imo.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:

Yup.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

Awesome....

would you care to elaborate?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If Christ was around, he would probably be considered a weak man.

I doubt that. He singlehandedly cleared the temple courts, and as someone else pointed out, and effeminate man is an abomination to God.

making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. 16 And he told those who sold the pigeons, “Take these things away; do not make my Father's house a house of trade.” 17 His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for your house will consume me.”​

Upvote 0