NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone help me understand what's going on with the proposed prayer book revision in TEC? I just recently learned about this (obviously, I don't pay much attention to what's going on in the wider church ...). I know there is a push from some for inclusive/expansive language. Is the plan to add supplemental options to the existing ones, or replace the existing ones with new expansive ones that all congregations are required to use? Or is it all up in the air at this point?

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone help me understand what's going on with the proposed prayer book revision in TEC? I just recently learned about this (obviously, I don't pay much attention to what's going on in the wider church ...). I know there is a push from some for inclusive/expansive language. Is the plan to add supplemental options to the existing ones, or replace the existing ones with new expansive ones that all congregations are required to use? Or is it all up in the air at this point?

I do not know, but these sorts of endeavors distress me! I spend the bulk of my prayer life in private devotions (which no hierarchy can take away from me) and as much as possible attend traditional worship or the closest I can find.

I doubt all congregations will be required to use whatever is produced because my Episcopal parish adopted a bylaw that they will not use a new prayer book in the future, nor commune the unbaptized.

Even in this conservative parish, there are problems, including Rite II bits mixed into Rite I and the 1928 service. The priest is trying to sort everything out so that it's a proper '28 service with the traditional collects from the '28 BCP, readings from the one year lectionary, etc.

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do not know, but these sorts of endeavors distress me! I spend the bulk of my prayer life in private devotions (which no hierarchy can take away from me) and as much as possible attend traditional worship or the closest I can find.

I doubt all congregations will be required to use whatever is produced because my Episcopal parish adopted a bylaw that they will not use a new prayer book in the future, nor commune the unbaptized.

Even in this conservative parish, there are problems, including Rite II bits mixed into Rite I and the 1928 service. The priest is trying to sort everything out so that it's a proper '28 service with the traditional collects from the '28 BCP, readings from the one year lectionary, etc.

But the parish has lost a priest and having a difficult time finding a conservative priest to take over, especially one who will use the 1928 BCP.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

It distresses me too, and I'm not even particularly traditional or conservative. My current congregation uses rite II and I'm fine with it. Previously I attended a parish that used rite I.

I found an approved trial version of a liturgy using "expansive language". It did things like removing references to Jesus as the Son of God and replacing "he/him" with "Christ" when referring to Jesus. I can't even begin to understand that. Jesus is a man, why are we pretending otherwise? What is the point?

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But the parish has lost a priest and having a difficult time finding a conservative priest to take over, especially one who will use the 1928 BCP.

I'm sorry to hear that. Losing a priest is hard.

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟407,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Can anyone help me understand what's going on with the proposed prayer book revision in TEC?

Some people feel that revision is necessary. Others feel that we still have some life left in the current BCP. So there were several options presented to the 2018 General Convention by the Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music. The House of Deputies passed a resolution which chose the full-scale revision option -- basically a whole new BCP. The House of Bishops, however, was opposed to that and passed a different resolution which the Deputies subsequently concurred with.

As to what the final resolution actually means, there are varying opinions. It calls for the 1979 BCP to be "memorialized". One of the bishops who worked out the plan suggests that the current book will be the basis for any new book in the future and they wouldn't start from scratch. It also calls for a time of "experimentation and the creation of alternative texts". In my diocese, it means the bishop encourages us to try new things and report back about what worked and what didn't.

So, the short answer is very little. The 2018 GC pretty much kicked the can down the road.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some people feel that revision is necessary. Others feel that we still have some life left in the current BCP. So there were several options presented to the 2018 General Convention by the Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music. The House of Deputies passed a resolution which chose the full-scale revision option -- basically a whole new BCP. The House of Bishops, however, was opposed to that and passed a different resolution which the Deputies subsequently concurred with.

As to what the final resolution actually means, there are varying opinions. It calls for the 1979 BCP to be "memorialized". One of the bishops who worked out the plan suggests that the current book will be the basis for any new book in the future and they wouldn't start from scratch. It also calls for a time of "experimentation and the creation of alternative texts". In my diocese, it means the bishop encourages us to try new things and report back about what worked and what didn't.

So, the short answer is very little. The 2018 GC pretty much kicked the can down the road.

OK, that's helpful. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
We have to address the needs of the “woke” generation.

What harm is there in being inclusive? What are the downsides?

We have to preach the gospel anew in each generation, however irksome that might be. The new generation have to live with it a lot longer than us.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We have to address the needs of the “woke” generation.

What harm is there in being inclusive? What are the downsides?

We have to preach the gospel anew in each generation, however irksome that might be. The new generation have to live with it a lot longer than us.

Inclusivity is great, as long as it doesn't mean that we, for instance, can't call God Father or refer to Jesus as his Son. God has been revealed to us using these relationships. Jesus was and is a man. Sorry. Referring to him as "Christ" all the time instead of using a male pronoun does not make him stop being a man.

I am a woman in my early thirties and I'm plenty "woke."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's an old joke about the member of the Church of England, who, upon reading the Bible for the first time, was impressed at how much of the prayer book it contained... ;)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As church family, we don't use the prayer book. We use the Bible. The prayer book is for clergy to make sure everything is orthodox and legal.
How's the Holy Communion service conducted?

Priest reads from the Bible, then there's a hymn, followed by Christ's words at the Last Supper, distribution of the elements, and a quick adjournment to an antechamber or undercroft for snacks? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
How's the Holy Communion service conducted?

Priest reads from the Bible, then there's a hymn, followed by Christ's words at the Last Supper, distribution of the elements, and a quick adjournment to an antechamber or undercroft for snacks? ;)

To the unlearned, whatever goes up on the big screen.

• Haha
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0