• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Battling overthinking

C Johnson

May 21, 2018
southern
✟14,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
With spiritual matters and even worldly matters (but mainly spiritual), I tend to overthink.

For example: When I remember advice given to me or when I read an article about certain topics dealing with God related matters, I’ll walk away feeling good about what I read or heard, feeling free, knowing God is with me, He’s forgiven me, etc. Then out of nowhere I’ll think of what if’s (even when I’m not intentionally thinking it on my own). These thoughts send me on a tale spin of guilt, despair, thinking I’m in the wrong for stuff, etc.

Is that normal?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would not trust a what if which just sends you on a tail spin. God can give you peace . . . or real correction which is encouraging.

How are you doing with the whole message of the Bible? Maybe you are getting in problems because you are just going after certain isolated items. As we get to know God and His overall message better, we have perspective so we can more readily get answers to specific issues.

• Agree
Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟451,010.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It’s normal for many. In the parable of the sower, Jesus said that the devil comes to steal the word when it’s sown so that they never grow and produce fruit. Don’t give attention to doubts that come but press on in faith, and one day you will be more stronger and deep rooted in faith.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
With spiritual matters and even worldly matters (but mainly spiritual), I tend to overthink.

For example: When I remember advice given to me or when I read an article about certain topics dealing with God related matters, I’ll walk away feeling good about what I read or heard, feeling free, knowing God is with me, He’s forgiven me, etc. Then out of nowhere I’ll think of what if’s (even when I’m not intentionally thinking it on my own). These thoughts send me on a tale spin of guilt, despair, thinking I’m in the wrong for stuff, etc.

Is that normal?
God's choice does not depend on your performance. This life is not about you.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It can happen. When it happened far more often to me, I had not internalized God's word enough. If I fear something that God's word has spoken to, then I have failed to deeply believe God's word. Think of a chair. If that chair looks rickety, you probably will not sit in it because you have no faith in that chair. But if a chair looks solid and comfortable and you want to sit down, you probably will sit in that chair, because you have enough faith in the chair to support your weight. If you say that you acknowledge that it looks strong and comfortable yet are afraid to sit in the chair anyway, then you don't have enough faith in the chair or your own sensory input about the chair to sit down. We need to have enough faith in God to rest in what he told us, to sit in the chair that he has provided. How can we do that? By questioning our own doubts. My doubts were flimsy, and had to be replaced by solid faith in what God has promised that I had previously acknowledged.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,271,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Is that normal?
Counter unintentional negative thoughts with spoken positive affirmations, particularly the positive events that previously occurred. Do this every time, multiple times which will help retrain your thinking habits.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,926,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Is that normal?
Hello C Johnson, it was normal for me when I was a younger Christian. It has to do with the 1/2 truths and lies that we all hear from Satan and his demons regularly (as they try to convince us that we, for instance, aren't really Christians, because no "real" Christian would ever think or say or do something like we just did and, of course, that God doesn't love us, and He never did .. fun stuff like that).

The cure is to be renewing your mind daily in the word of God (so that you come to know exactly what it says/teaches), and then by choosing to listen to God/choose to take Him at His very word/fully believe what He says .. alone, instead of listening to what your feelings and/or Satan are telling you in the moment, no matter how convincing your feelings or Satan's words may seem to you.

It is very hard to do, especially at first, because it's hard to believe God when Satan gets you thinking AND feeling that the Bible may not be true after all, at least for you anyway. So, whenever you feel troubled, guilty (for no reason) and confused about who you are in Christ, refuse to listen to those thoughts and feelings, no matter how persuasive them may seem, by taking them "captive" .. 2 Corinthians 10:5 and then by giving them over to the Lord Jesus to deal with instead, over and over and over again, as necessary.

2 Corinthians 10
5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

I believe that this is the principle way that we obey James 4:7's command to us, and the way then, that we receive the promise that goes along with that command when we persist in obeying it.

James 4
7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you :oldthumbsup:

So, if it is your heart's desire to please/honor/glorify God, then you should choose to believe/trust Him, by ~always~ taking Him at His word (again, no matter what your feelings and/or Satan are telling you instead). It's pretty hard to do at first (to fight off the feelings that you have and choose to listen to the "still small voice" of God instead .. 1 Kings 19:12), but God will help you if you ask Him to, and when you fail to do so, no worries, just follow these instructions .. 1 John 1:9 and then get back at it (it does become easier and easier to do with practice, and Satan will eventually leave you alone, at least for awhile anyway ;), just like God, in James 4:7, promises us that he will.

God bless you!

--David
p.s. - when Satan is trying to convince you that you aren't worthy to be called a Christian (and/or that you aren't a Christian and never were), just go back to the foot of the Cross and remember all that the Lord did to save you, and therefore, how VERY much He loves you (both from and to everlasting). And always remember that God is omniscient and omnipresent, which means that He knew EXACTLY who and what He was getting when He chose to save you, and that He went ahead and saved you anyway :amen:

My Hope Lives Not Because I Am A Sinner.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,926,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello again @C Johnson, a couple of things that you may find helpful are these.

1. The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis - this book is a collection of short stories (that Lewis first read on the radio) written from the demons POV. It will help you understand how they think, why they do what they do, and how they tempt us to sin, and it will help you recognize their attacks for what they really are far more quickly. It's fictional, but it will really help you in the real world .. and it's a Christian Classic by C. S. Lewis and a great read too :) (the book is free to read online at the link above)

2. The Topical Memory System by the Navigators - this is the Scripture memory system that the Navigators have been training their overseas missionaries with for almost 100 years now (so it is a very "proven" system). It contains about 65 verses and passages that touch on all of the most important areas of a Christian's life, so even if you don't care to take the time to memorize them, you should take the time to become very familiar with them, because once you do, you'll have the Biblical answers that you need to rebuke almost any flaming arrow that the enemy sends your way :)

If you would like to try memorizing them, just let me know, as I'd be glad to help you get started (I used/use the Topical Memory System to memorize God's word, so I am pretty familiar with it).
Blessings to you in Christ!!

--David

Sunset over a field of red flowers with Elisabeth Ellliot.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is that normal?

It IS normal for Satan to accuse us and try to keep us from trusting God and His "Word of Truth" ---His Holy Bible. Have you read John 3; John 14; Romans 8; etc. and see God speaking to you? Thinking about God is not the same as RECEIVING God through His "...beloved Son": the Lord Jesus! When you speak to Him in prayer and receive Him into your heart, you get "sealed" by the indwelling Holy Spirit of God. THEN one will have assurance that God is with them and caring for us; and we then can (and should) be thanking Him and walking with Him daily. Many of us have found that good experience and are happily in His care ---now and forever. Do not be second guessing God's promises in His Son; and learn to make the Lord Jesus your best Friend!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
1. The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis - this book is a collection of short stories (that Lewis first read on the radio) written from the demons POV. It will help you understand how they think, why they do what they do, and how they tempt us to sin, and it will help you recognize their attacks for what they really are far more quickly. It's fictional, but it will really help you in the real world .. and it's a Christian Classic by C. S. Lewis and a great read too :) (the book is free to read online at the link above)
This is true, which is kind of amazing, as Lewis didn't write it for that purpose, but to expose the vanity, the self-importance (the intensity of self-interest, too), and the vulnerability of man's trusting in his own thinking. His work on temptation reveals much about the motives of the human heart through the methods of the enemy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums