• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Jul 12, 2017
Southern California
✟15,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My acne started around 13 years ago. I began praying to God, asking him to clear my skin, around high school. I presume God's answer was one of two below:

1) "No."
2) "Wait."

Here I am 13 years later, battling acne still. I really don't know how I survived spiritually or mentally with this skin condition for these past 13 years, but I did. I have moderate to severe acne, not the occasional pimple here and there that normal people get, but skin covered in pimples, face, back and chest.

Acne has definitely been one of the biggest factors that have affected my relationship with God, unfortunately. Naturally, I like to be positive and optimistic, even when times get rough. I love life in general and I love the idea of enjoying life to the fullest. But acne definitely limits my life. For example, I love exercising, but sweating and heat exacerbates my acne.

Today, I just feel spiritually tired. I've tried many medications for acne, topical and oral, some giving me anxiety, mood swings and heartburn. I've tried changing my diet hoping that cutting out gluten, sugar, or dairy would magically make my clear. All this did was make me super paranoid about what I put in my mouth to the point where I was losing weight (healthy foods don't have much calories -_-).

I know I shouldn't base my faith on external circumstance. I know this so well, which is why I am so spiritually exhausted. I have put so much faith into God, patiently waiting for the last 13 years. But I really can't see myself continuing. I don't understand how God is watching above, watching me suffer physically and mentally because of my acne. I believe that God is the healer and His Word confirms this, but why is there no healing occurring in my life? I don't want to be separated from God or have my relationship with God go downhill. I really don't. I cherish it so much, which is why I'm posting this here on this forum, with my last ounce of hope, because I don't want acne to be the cause.

I ask for you, my brothers/sisters in Christ, for words of encouragement and I ask for communal prayer, so that healing can truly begin in my life both physically and spiritually.

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@lastounceofhope I'll say a prayer for you, but I'd like to tell you that I can very much relate. I'm 35 years old, and still get it, mostly on my back now days. I keep myself clean, and do what I can to avert it to no avail. It's in my genes, and there's not much I can do about it. It's also not been much of a hindrance to me the older I get, especially not like it was in middle and high school.

To be quite honest, aside from praying, the best advice I can give you is to not worry so much about something that in the grand scheme of things is truly a minute issue. Think of it this way, when we're long gone, the acne will not matter. Think of what we can do in this life to serve God. Forever is what matters.

Also, as you get older I don't believe acne is as much of an issue for older people, and it'll likely tone down naturally. I believe this means it matters less on a social level as well. If other folks can't get over something you have little control over, and they use this as primary issue to judge you by, you don't need them in your life anyhow.

I know that's not much, but I hope it helps.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I feel for you! Some members of my family have icthyosis. My grandson has the type of acne you describe and so far nothing has helped. He's going to try Accutane.
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/gallery/category/3-accutane-isotretinoin-gallery/

I'll pray for you!

As for your faith in God --- think about it. If you run from God, that won't make your acne go away. I have relatives with blindness, Downs' Syndrome, and autism. Depression is common. Judgmental people exist. One good friend can make a difference!

Your sad experiences can be used to help others who are suffering!

God bless!

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2017
Southern California
✟15,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@LessThanPerfect2016

Thanks for the prayer! You're right, in the grand scheme of things, it is a minute issue. But, being in my twenties, when I'm supposed to be at my peak, I just don't feel 100% sometimes. Also, my problem is not that people are judging me for it. It's me. I'm judging myself. I just don't feel comfortable in my own skin, visually and physically. Thanks for the encouragement though!

@Phoebe Ann

I just googled icthyosis. I pray that God comfort your family members who are suffering from this condition. And I really hope your grandson's is successfully treated with Accutane. Unfortunately, I had to stop Accutane 1 month in due to mood swings, heart palpitations, and tingling sensations. Hopefully, he has a better experience. And, you're right that running away from God will not make my acne go away. However, hear me out. Perhaps, you comfort this soul a bit more. One of my views of God is God as a Healer and this is supported in the Bible. I'm simply upset that this truth is not being manifested in my life. This negative emotion is making me question the Word...

• Friendly
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@LessThanPerfect2016

Thanks for the prayer! You're right, in the grand scheme of things, it is a minute issue. But, being in my twenties, when I'm supposed to be at my peak, I just don't feel 100% sometimes. Also, my problem is not that people are judging me for it. It's me. I'm judging myself. I just don't feel comfortable in my own skin, visually and physically. Thanks for the encouragement though!

@Phoebe Ann

I just googled icthyosis. I pray that God comfort your family members who are suffering from this condition. And I really hope your grandson's is successfully treated with Accutane. Unfortunately, I had to stop Accutane 1 month in due to mood swings, heart palpitations, and tingling sensations. Hopefully, he has a better experience. And, you're right that running away from God will not make my acne go away. However, hear me out. Perhaps, you comfort this soul a bit more. One of my views of God is God as a Healer and this is supported in the Bible. I'm simply upset that this truth is not being manifested in my life. This negative emotion is making me question the Word...

Dear, God can and often does heal, but He doesn't always choose to heal.

He may allow us to struggle with health or personal issues to help us to rely on Him, humble us, get our focus off of this world and life, and help us to become more like His Son.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2017
Southern California
✟15,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Gracia Singh

Thanks for your insight! I'm a baby when it comes to faith, so I have a lot of questions.

When you say he allows us to struggle to help us:

1) Rely on him (how do I rely on Him when He doesn't heal?)
2) Humble us (how does He humble me correctly if I'm not proud in the first way and I'm lacking in self-esteem)
3) Get our focus off of this world and life and help us become more like His Son (any tips on on how to focus on God and not the world when everywhere I go, I am surrounded by the world and its lust?)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Gracia Singh

Thanks for your insight! I'm a baby when it comes to faith, so I have a lot of questions.

When you say he allows us to struggle to help us:

1) Rely on him (how do I rely on Him when He doesn't heal?)
2) Humble us (how does He humble me correctly if I'm not proud in the first way and I'm lacking in self-esteem)
3) Get our focus off of this world and life and help us become more like His Son (any tips on on how to focus on God and not the world when everywhere I go, I am surrounded by the world and its lust?)

Hey, dear.

When our lives are not going our way, we can learn to rely on Him, as opposed to the pleasantness of health, comfort, or getting what we want, to give us true peace and joy.

God may use suffering to humble us; but that is not always the main reason why we suffer. But a believer with a pride issue may find that suffering causes him to understand that he, in and of himself, is nothing. Not saying that's you, but there are others it does fit. Like me.

How to focus on God; prayer. Prayer is our invisible ladder up to Heaven, our protection from Satan, and our shield against the thoughts that lead to sin. Pray. Praise Him. Thank Him. And if you feel like it, pour your heart out to Him is sadness, anger, or complaint. He already knows that we're hurting, but He wants us to include Him and let Him in, too.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2017
Southern California
✟15,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Gracia Singh

Thanks for the detailed response! I understand it now. I guess it would be helpful if God directly told me like, hey you, I'm letting you suffer because you need to focus on me or you need to be more humble. I tried praying to God about the reason why He lets me suffer from acne, but I could never hear His voice. Knowing the reason would give me a lot more peace as I would have a goal to set out for. For example, if the reason was that I need to focus on God more, then I would do as you advised, which is pray, praise, and thank him. How can I know His purpose for my suffering? What should I look out for in my life? Where can I hear His voice?

I feel a little better talking my thoughts out to fellow believers. Truly appreciate your insight! God bless!

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honey, we can't always know His exact purpose. We can know, though, that as Christians, everything He allows us to go through is meant to give us opportunities to grow more like Christ. And to glorify Christ in how we respond to suffering. That much can be gathered.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's a book you should read; "Come Be My Light", about Teresa of Calcutta. It is an awesome, awesome little book. It is about her, not by her. And helped give me some deeply helpful, deep insights into how suffering works out in our Christian lives, and the mystery of sorrow as we love and follow Christ.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's another tiny, barely a book book that is also my favorite. It's more like a pamphlet devotional.

It's called The Way of the Cross According to the Method of St. Alphonsus Liguori.

It's by TAN publishers. It's tiny. But powerful. And should not cost much. It's kind of a day by day means of thinking on the suffering of Christ, and praying to Him in the process. It's my favorite book after the Bible.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
:doh:
@Phoebe Ann

I understand what you're saying. A friend kept taking her son for healing at different churches because he was almost deaf. I don't think his hearing ever improved.

I also understand how you judge yourself because I've done a lot of that and my husband would say, "Stop putting yourself down." I'd argue, "I'm just stating facts." :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TimAM

God fearing and God loving!
Jan 22, 2009
U.S.
✟64,822.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, lastounceofhope! Like others have posted, God chooses sometime to not heal. The Apostle Paul had a thorn in the flesh. Read what he says:

2 Corinthians 12:8-10 " 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (NKJV)

I recently severely hurt my back and prayed that God would remove the pain. However, He hasn't, but I do believe He spoke to me that instead He would be with me and strengthen me to endure the pain.

Upvote 0

simplySummer

Jul 9, 2017
Northern Ca.
✟15,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't imagine how frustrated you must be! When my 16 year old son turned 15, his acne was getting pretty bad. I honestly do not know how or why we tried this but his complexion did improve. I had him start taking zinc (ask your dr. first if its okay) and he started GENTLY washing his face with baking soda. He has now since stopped taking the zinc but continues to wash with baking soda everyday. I'm in no way an expert at all, just saying what worked for him. It might be worth looking into!

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had bad acne in high school and I tried proactiv, Neutrogena, clean-n-clear, all the brands... and every type of cream, spot treatment, pad, face wash, and toner and nothing ever worked at all... finally in college I tried this face wash, its the generic proactiv [real proactiv didn't work], and it cleared almost 100 percent of my acne, and I've been using it since with pretty much zero acne, pretty amazing... maybe you can try it, its like 6 dollars at Walmart/CVS/walgreens for a big bottle-

71pFTclR5ML._SY679_.jpg

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My acne started around 13 years ago. I began praying to God, asking him to clear my skin, around high school. I presume God's answer was one of two below:

1) "No."
2) "Wait."

Here I am 13 years later, battling acne still. I really don't know how I survived spiritually or mentally with this skin condition for these past 13 years, but I did. I have moderate to severe acne, not the occasional pimple here and there that normal people get, but skin covered in pimples, face, back and chest.

Acne has definitely been one of the biggest factors that have affected my relationship with God, unfortunately. Naturally, I like to be positive and optimistic, even when times get rough. I love life in general and I love the idea of enjoying life to the fullest. But acne definitely limits my life. For example, I love exercising, but sweating and heat exacerbates my acne.

Today, I just feel spiritually tired. I've tried many medications for acne, topical and oral, some giving me anxiety, mood swings and heartburn. I've tried changing my diet hoping that cutting out gluten, sugar, or dairy would magically make my clear. All this did was make me super paranoid about what I put in my mouth to the point where I was losing weight (healthy foods don't have much calories -_-).

I know I shouldn't base my faith on external circumstance. I know this so well, which is why I am so spiritually exhausted. I have put so much faith into God, patiently waiting for the last 13 years. But I really can't see myself continuing. I don't understand how God is watching above, watching me suffer physically and mentally because of my acne. I believe that God is the healer and His Word confirms this, but why is there no healing occurring in my life? I don't want to be separated from God or have my relationship with God go downhill. I really don't. I cherish it so much, which is why I'm posting this here on this forum, with my last ounce of hope, because I don't want acne to be the cause.

I ask for you, my brothers/sisters in Christ, for words of encouragement and I ask for communal prayer, so that healing can truly begin in my life both physically and spiritually.
Hi Precious one,
I can sort of relate one of my daughters too had bad acne.
Anyway she had other things like irregular mentral cycles, plus a few others. Anyway by the Grace of God she was having pain and had to have surgery for a dermoid cyst. But while they were doing the surgery they saw she had PCOS. Which explained her symptoms.
Especially the acne. After trial and error she is now on spirolactone, it is a miracle drug for her skin and 2 of her other sisters now take it too! Perhaps you could ask your dr if that's something that might help you?
I believe God also wants us to help ourselves, wasn't Luke a physican?
God Bless you Beautiful

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Precious one,
I can sort of relate one of my daughters too had bad acne.
Anyway she had other things like irregular mentral cycles, plus a few others. Anyway by the Grace of God she was having pain and had to have surgery for a dermoid cyst. But while they were doing the surgery they saw she had PCOS. Which explained her symptoms.
Especially the acne. After trial and error she is now on spirolactone, it is a miracle drug for her skin and 2 of her other sisters now take it too! Perhaps you could ask your dr if that's something that might help you?
I believe God also wants us to help ourselves, wasn't Luke a physican?
God Bless you Beautiful
We are blessed with a good dermatology clinic near us.

The Lord is known sometimes as the Great Physician.

Upvote 0