Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟116,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I just found something fascinating on YouTube, it is a documentary on the battle for Jerusalem and the destruction of the 2nd temple, Jesus spoke of this and prophesied during his ministry on the earth-

“And Jesus went out from the temple, and was going on his way; and his disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple. But he answered and said unto them, ‘You see all of these things, do you not? Truly I say unto you, there shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down’” (Matthew 24:1-2)

In this video the Roman general Titus and 60 thousand Roman troops lays siege to Jerusalem in the year 70 AD and eventually sacked the city and burns down the 2nd temple, thus fulfilling the words spoken by Jesus! This is an awesome history lesson and you can see the words of Christ come to pass, you might want to take a look at it, only 15 minutes! I would highly recommend watching the video below!

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just found something fascinating on YouTube, it is a documentary on the battle for Jerusalem and the destruction of the 2nd temple, Jesus spoke of this and prophesied during his ministry on the earth-

“And Jesus went out from the temple, and was going on his way; and his disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple. But he answered and said unto them, ‘You see all of these things, do you not? Truly I say unto you, there shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down’” (Matthew 24:1-2)

In this video the Roman general Titus and 60 thousand Roman troops lays siege to Jerusalem in the year 70 AD and eventually sacked the city and burns down the 2nd temple, thus fulfilling the words spoken by Jesus! This is an awesome history lesson and you can see the words of Christ come to pass, you might want to take a look at it, only 15 minutes! I would highly recommend watching the video below!

Dig a little further into it and you will find the Revelation.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Dig a little further into it and you will find the Revelation.
I agree. Revelation is about the destruction of the Temple. It also applies to us today.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree. Revelation is about the destruction of the Temple. It also applies to us today.

There's nothing saying that any of those things can't happen again. For instance, it took Antiochus IV three and a half years of fighting to defile the temple. Then it took the Romans three and a half years to finally destroy it. The "mid-tribulation" point of the war that lasted seven years. Things tend to repeat themselves.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing saying that any of those things can't happen again. For instance, it took Antiochus IV three and a half years of fighting to defile the temple. Then it took the Romans three and a half years to finally destroy it. The "mid-tribulation" point of the war that lasted seven years. Things tend to repeat themselves.
Does Revelation have both a past and a future meaning? I left a very conservative, evangelical, Baptist church (great people, some wrong theology, but good souls), and am intrigued and pleased to learn about Revelation basically being about the past. That makes way more sense.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Does Revelation have both a past and a future meaning? I left a very conservative, evangelical, Baptist church (great people, some wrong theology, but good souls), and am intrigued and pleased to learn about Revelation basically being about the past. That makes way more sense.

Generally, the Revelation gives a "recap" of the gospel, then goes into great detail about the Jewish war with the Romans, and then only vaguely prophecies the distant future. One example is the woman who gives birth then flees into the desert for three and a half years. The woman is of course Mary, who fled to Egypt to escape the slaughter of the innocents. But all of the fire-breathing monsters and what not are mostly descriptions of the armies that attacked Jerusalem, but they are described based on their religions, and the writer uses the plagues of Egypt to frame the story. Look at this:

Rev 9:7

The shape of the locusts was like horses prepared for battle. On their heads were crowns of something like gold, and their faces were like the faces of men.

The locusts were one of the plagues of Egypt from the old testament. But then they were "like unto horses prepared for battle" because they were horses prepared for battle, meaning cavalrymen. They wore something like gold crowns. Those were their helmets. They had the faces of men because they were in fact men. The writer goes on later:

Rev 9:19

For their power is in their mouth and in their tails; for their tails are like serpents, having heads; and with them they do harm.

Many of those armies who gathered for the invasion were made up of Persians and other easterners. Some of the things they worshipped were what Paul also described:

Rom 1:23

and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

But those are not plural, it is singular. A man with wings and four feet and a "creeping thing" for a tail. It was this thing:

Attachments

• hittite chimera.jpg
    hittite chimera.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Generally, the Revelation gives a "recap" of the gospel, then goes into great detail about the Jewish war with the Romans, and then only vaguely prophecies the distant future. One example is the woman who gives birth then flees into the desert for three and a half years. The woman is of course Mary, who fled to Egypt to escape the slaughter of the innocents. But all of the fire-breathing monsters and what not are mostly descriptions of the armies that attacked Jerusalem, but they are described based on their religions, and the writer uses the plagues of Egypt to frame the story. Look at this:

Rev 9:7

The shape of the locusts was like horses prepared for battle. On their heads were crowns of something like gold, and their faces were like the faces of men.

The locusts were one of the plagues of Egypt from the old testament. But then they were "like unto horses prepared for battle" because they were horses prepared for battle, meaning cavalrymen. They wore something like gold crowns. Those were their helmets. They had the faces of men because they were in fact men. The writer goes on later:

Rev 9:19

For their power is in their mouth and in their tails; for their tails are like serpents, having heads; and with them they do harm.

Many of those armies who gathered for the invasion were made up of Persians and other easterners. Some of the things they worshipped were what Paul also described:

Rom 1:23

and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

But those are not plural, it is singular. A man with wings and four feet and a "creeping thing" for a tail. It was this thing:
That’s extremely helpful, thank you! I will have to look more into this! Totally makes sense, though! And I have sometimes wondered why Revelation is only about future persecution when Christians in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and China are already being horribly persecuted.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That’s extremely helpful, thank you! I will have to look more into this! Totally makes sense, though! And I have sometimes wondered why Revelation is only about future persecution when Christians in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and China are already being horribly persecuted.
Coming Soon is a good book about the several senses of Revelation.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ray Glenn

Jun 10, 2021
Birmingham
✟31,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nero is dead. Christ has risen and ascended to heaven. A Jewish revolt begins in 66AD. Christians are so persecuted by Romans and Jews alike, they have left the City by 66AD. So successful was the revolt that two Roman Legions are destroyed. Tiberius the new Caesar is furious. He sends his son Titus the stop the rebellion. Rome begins their siege. The Jews have an advantage and a disadvantage. The Romans can't break in, the city has enough food and water stores to survive for years to come. The disadvantage ? Jews sects don't like each other and begin destroying other Jewish food and water stores. In 70AD, the Jews have done themselves in. Starving and with no water, too weak to fight ...the Romans finally break the walls then start the massacre. The historian Josephus is wounded in the battle. Titus goes to the temple to stop the rage and fury of the Roman Army, he is almost attacked and killed by his own troops on the steps of the temple. The fire is destroying all in the temple. Objects of gold removed by the Romans. The floor plates, wall and ceiling plates of gold melting by the heat of the fire. The Roman soldiers in their lust for gold begin removing the floor plates to get the gold that has seeped into the joints of the stones. The prophecy of Jesus being fulfilled. No stone left unturned. Masses of Jews charge the Temple over and over, thousands slaughtered on the steps of the Temple. The defense collapses and retreats to the northern fortified corner of the city. Within weeks they too are put to the sword. Those that lived are gathered and taken to Rome. Israel is defeated. Jews are used in the coliseum and sold into slavery.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Nah, that's NOT the event Lord Jesus was pointing to in Matthew 24.

Matt 24:2-3
2 And Jesus said unto them, "See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."

3 And as He sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of Thy coming, and of the end of the world?"

KJV

How is it that some men can't realize by the above, that Christ's disciples well understood the time Jesus was pointing to was, "... the sign of Thy coming, and of the end of the world"??? Did those ignorant men fail simple English comprehension or something?

And just so we KNOW Lord Jesus was pointing to the very END of this world with those things, today in Jerusalem, at the temple mount complex, the old WESTERN WALL is still... standing there, huge stones one atop another!

img1.jpg

Upvote 0