• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Islam Bart Ehrman Shocks a Muslim On The Trinity

Discussion in 'Debate Other Religions & Faiths' started by Al Masihi, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Al Masihi

Al Masihi Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,303
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    A Muslim Apologist in the Arab world whose name I have forgot decided to interview Bart Ehrman back in 2018, he asked Bart a question on the Trinity hoping to weasel out an answer out of him that would confirm his Islamic bias only for Bart to shock him with his answer:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,210
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    St. Patrick showed a three leaf clover as an example of the trinity. Three leaves same plant.

3. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+1,535
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Ehram is interesting because he has been an unbeliever these last few decades but is able to defend historic Christianity on a few issues based on the academic history of the text and church history etc.

4. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,569
    Presbyterian
    Single
    This one is particularly clear, since the doctrine of the Trinity was formulated before this verse was in the Greek. Without a time machine, there's no way the Trinity is based on it. Ehrman is right that it's based on the way the NT talks about God and Jesus in a variety of places, but if you were going to identify a key verse that was influential historically, it would probably be John 1:14.

5. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+3,676
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    That is a good example of how to be generous with positions that are not one's own. Erhman, correct me if I'm wrong, would not claim to believe in the doctrine. Nontheless, in this instance, he gives the most generous "reading" of the position of those who do. It's a commendable display of how to present an opposing position.

6. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+8,281
    Atheist
    Single
    He should not be shocked. But the Muslim was an apologist. Regardless of faith most apologist arguments that I have seen are based upon distorting the beliefs of those that they oppose. I am sure that there are many Christians that would be "shocked" about aspects of the Muslim faith.

7. Al Masihi

+2,303
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    That’s not an example without its flaws, considering it entails a form of partialism, but at least it convinced the pagan Celts. The best analogy of the Trinity in my opinion of the is three men, however one would need to clarify that the Trinity is also a unity of energies and will not just nature as in the example of three men, that’s the example Saint Gregory of Nyssa gave to explain the Trinity.

8. Al Masihi

+2,303
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    That’s what I most like about him is that he speaks his mind and doesn’t suck up to anyone single position or bias, which is quite rare in New Testament scholarship these days.

9. Caliban

Caliban Well-Known Member

+709
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    Erhman is an Agnostic Atheist. Since most of his students at Chapel Hill are theists, he is well practiced at providing students with facts in a gentile manner. He is a great guy.