• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Barr Tells Prosecutors to Consider Charging Violent Protesters With Sedition

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by LostMarbels, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:21 PM.

1. Trogdor the Burninator

Trogdor the Burninator Senior Veteran

+1,467
    Christian
    According to the wording of the law they don't have to, though we could certainly argue on the destabilisation part.

"OR by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof"

They did exactly the above.

2. LostMarbels

LostMarbels Follower of Jesus

+3,400
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    Is there anyone left on this website that can have a conversation anymore?

I haven't even taken a stance and people are ready to argue what? I haven't presented an argument.

3. LostMarbels

+3,400
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    I dont know if this is good or bad. I do not yet have a stance on the issue. I do not know enough at this point to call anyone out.

It's called a discussion. Sometimes people just talk about things and work it out as a group. It does happen, I promise.

4. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,433
    Presbyterian
    Single
    One of them was. Shot dead.

5. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+7,869
    Agnostic
    Married
    I agree. Claiming that you have some understanding when you have no data and your claims contradict people who are actually in a position to directly observe is silly. But this is where we are in American politics. We have come to a place were ideology is treated the same as knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+4,937
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    I think this is an exceptionally dangerous-for-your-country proposition. What protests with some violence in the previous history of your country would NOT fall under this definition of sedition? Wonder where the entire civil rights movement and MLK would have been if Barr had been the head of the DOJ at the time. Protesting is a part of the lifeblood of your country. Turning it into a federal felony is totalitarianism.

Also, you made mention later of "democrats supporting it" (all 100 million of them, I guess). If this were true, then the democrats, being an active part of the US government, are apparently plotting to overthrow themselves. Seems unlikely.

7. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,433
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Trump is a traitor. He and his cronies can keep their accusations of sedition to themselves. At least, until they hire a lumberjack--to remove the LOG from their eye.

8. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+2,156
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    I believe that a person can only be “elected twice”, and serve no more than two years of their predecessor’s term.

9. LostMarbels

+3,400
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    This is exactly why I approach this with caution. And this is exactly the type of response I was looking for so, thank you.

It is hard to look at this without seeing it on a grander scale. Most of what you are bringing up is activism. Maybe even riots, but sedition requires intent to subvert. MLK did not want to tear down the USA. He wanted rights for his people.

I do not have a problem labeling groups and or factions. This is coming down on an individuals level.

This is one thing I get so sick and tired of explaining. This is an American POLITICS forum... Not an American layperson/citizenry forum.

10. LostMarbels

+3,400
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    In my view/opinion I am much harder on the organization, and leadership than the useful idiot on the street. I also believe ideology and or sated purpose comes into play. Its a sticky situation. That is why Im trying to just discuss it.

11. Trogdor the Burninator

Trogdor the Burninator Senior Veteran

+1,467
    Christian
    Hey that's cool. I don't see an issue with what you want to discuss.

As for my opinion - sedition charges are a very dangerous road to go down. Lots of things can be called sedition - that's exactly how communist dictatorships dealt with people they didn't like.

Ironically, I think a US government attempting to charge someone with sedition over a protest would invite a lot more real sedition, and the whole thing would very quickly spiral out of control.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+2,156
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Actually this is “news and current events”.

13. LostMarbels

+3,400
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    And I'm an idiot... my apologies.

14. LostMarbels

+3,400
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    I would not believe it is over protests. I believe that is a misnomer. Personally I view this through stated intention, actions, and ideology. If a man had racist rants all over social media, was known to be in a racist group, and latter robed someone of that 'hated' race, I could justify hate crime charges. See where I am going?

If the same group specifically targeted individuals in a campaign/movement/revolution (of sorts) I could see that group being domestic terrorist and receiving harsher sentencing.

The problem I see is proving known affiliation. Now when you come to a sedition, you are going to have to prove intent. That they looted a store and burnt cars to tear down the gov. That is on a different level entirely.

15. Tanj

+4,937
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    That's what these people want too. However, I'm not sure that there's any clause in this argument for the moral purity of the protest. There's nothing in your history that suggest someone somewhere gets to make a legal call on what protests are OK, and which ones are felonies. Like I said, that's totalitarianism.

My point stands. The Democrats control the lower house of congress and have strong representation in the other half of the legislature and judicial branches. You are still claiming that they are attempting to sedition themselves. It doesn't make any sense regardless of the level of inclusitivioty of your use of "democrats" as a pejorative.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  16. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+4,109
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Wake me up when Antifa storms the capital, tries to remove congress, or bombs the White House...

Or were they hoping the forest fires would reach D.C. eventually?

17. Tanj

+4,937
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Well yes, that's on the level where you explain how looting stores and burning cars in any way shape or form could tear down the government.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Clizby WampusCat

Clizby WampusCat Well-Known Member

+306
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I have no idea. I don't see how that is relevant.

19. LostMarbels

+3,400
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    Truth about it is Im burnt out at the moment. I haven't been putting forth much effort.

I don't think things can be explained for some without hindsight. Some things are just going to have to come to pass in order to explain themselves. Only at that time will what some have forewarned make sense.

There is an ongoing coup in America. The questions being posed is how did these coordinated riots play out concerning that coup. This is a first in America. Unprecedented in this country. But plenty of examples in history demonstrate coordinated upheaval. Intentionally set fires. Social unrest. Etc, all utilized as a tool during a political coup.

I believe this is an attempt to see if those intentions exist, and the actions are linked.

That would be overactive sensibilities becoming easily offended, I would imagine. I call people Reps all the time also. Sometimes I just don't feel like typing.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 10:05 PM
  20. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 contemplative humanist Supporter

+11,908
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Trump and Barr should both be tried for sedition.