Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36132482

I am a doctor working in South Africa. When I see Americans they are mostly medical students doing electives, although I have seen some of these with very similar attitudes to what follows:

I have a friend who worked at a clinic in Malawi. He had a lot of volunteers, mostly Americans, coming to 'help'. They arrived with no training, no medicine, nothing. Just there 'healing hands'. As a consequence they just stood around in the clinic the few times they were there as they did not know what they were doing. If someone tried to teach them, it wasted more time that could have been used to treat patients as the volunteers were only there for a few weeks. He complained about them for literally hours, as they did far more harm than good.

They spent their days going to see wildlife or doing touristy things, but would then talk about how they came to 'help' in an almost condescending manner.

Please. Certain patronising individuals should just stay in their countries. Africa doesn't need volunteers without specific skills. It needs cheaper medicines and medical supplies. Even trained doctors from the developed world can become overwhelmed here by sheer numbers of patients, late presentations and lack of equipment, especially in the rural settings and small clinics where most 'volunteers' are sent.

Reactions: redleghunter

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Its a well known fact that often times the people you try to help resent it.
Thats not the point, although that does happen.
Its untrained people thinking that they can do work in Africa which they can't at home. Its people taking selfies and talking of how much the experience meant etc. which they wouldn't at home.
This is an excuse for an African holiday or eat-pray-love journey masquerading as Charity.

People who sincerely come to help do not have this attitude and they would plan projects and bring material in their actual fields. It is not the scores of people which just go to Africa and think that their mere presence will somehow help poverty. Most poor Africans are some of the most thankful people you'll ever meet, they deserve better. These people should just give money to actual charities or stay at home or do work in their own fields. Don't think you can come work in a clinic or teach in a school if you are unfamiliar with both.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thats not the point, although that does happen.
Its untrained people thinking that they can do work in Africa which they can't at home. Its people taking selfies and talking of how much the experience meant etc. which they wouldn't at home.
This is an excuse for an African holiday or eat-pray-love journey masquerading as Charity.

People who sincerely come to help do not have this attitude and they would plan projects and bring material in their actual fields. It is not the scores of people which just go to Africa and think that their mere presence will somehow help poverty. Most poor Africans are some of the most thankful people you'll ever meet, they deserve better. These people should just give money to actual charities or stay at home or do work in their own fields. Don't think you can come work in a clinic or teach in a school if you are unfamiliar with both.

Your posts need wide dissemination. I am not a doctor, don't know the local African dialects to teach, and am not a farmer or AG major. I give to organizations that help you get what you need. I'm glad you posted this. Most Americans without the skills needed for medical and missionary work overseas have plenty of opportunities to do the same in their local communities or in places like Appalachia.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,155,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36132482

I am a doctor working in South Africa. When I see Americans they are mostly medical students doing electives, although I have seen some of these with very similar attitudes to what follows:

I have a friend who worked at a clinic in Malawi. He had a lot of volunteers, mostly Americans, coming to 'help'. They arrived with no training, no medicine, nothing. Just there 'healing hands'. As a consequence they just stood around in the clinic the few times they were there as they did not know what they were doing. If someone tried to teach them, it wasted more time that could have been used to treat patients as the volunteers were only there for a few weeks. He complained about them for literally hours, as they did far more harm than good.

They spent their days going to see wildlife or doing touristy things, but would then talk about how they came to 'help' in an almost condescending manner.

Please. Certain patronising individuals should just stay in their countries. Africa doesn't need volunteers without specific skills. It needs cheaper medicines and medical supplies. Even trained doctors from the developed world can become overwhelmed here by sheer numbers of patients, late presentations and lack of equipment, especially in the rural settings and small clinics where most 'volunteers' are sent.

Yeah, we call these people. "Social Justice Warriors". Although sending them all to Africa sounds a little appealing.. lol.

Reactions: TerranceL
Upvote 0