Baptized in the Spirit

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone actually witnessed someone being baptized in the spirit similar to Acts? I believe we should be pushing on until we receive similar to Acts. To my understanding, it is done in the presence of witnesses and you will break out into speaking of tongues. It doesn't necessarily mean you will always be in tongues but that the speaking of tongue is evidence. I hope I worded this correctly

Baptism with the Holy Spirit does not exist today. This baptism was a prophecy of Joel the Lord fulfilled/ended/ceased some 2000 years ago. The 'one baptism" of Ephesians 4:4-5 is Christ's water baptism of the great commission. In Acts 8, the Spirit did not "spirit baptize" the eunuch but instead instructed Phillip to go and preach Jesus to the eunuch then Phillip water baptized the eunuch.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone actually witnessed someone being baptized in the spirit similar to Acts? I believe we should be pushing on until we receive similar to Acts. To my understanding, it is done in the presence of witnesses and you will break out into speaking of tongues. It doesn't necessarily mean you will always be in tongues but that the speaking of tongue is evidence. I hope I worded this correctly
Here's the way I think we need to look at it. Tongues have IN EFFECT ceased. That is to say that while there may have been genuine experiences of it occurring over all the centuries since the Apostolic Age, there is no question but that they are rare at best. They no longer are a standard feature of the Christian experience.

In your original post, Alex, you spoke as though such a thing is to be expected. That's not the case. If God grants such a gift in our times, then he does, but it's clear that this phenomenon which was so important in the early church no longer is routine and we should not think about it as though it were common or necessary.

Upvote 0

Bible2+

Matthew 4:4
Sep 14, 2015
✟91,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
TheSeabass said in post #21:

The 'one baptism" of Ephesians 4:4-5 is Christ's water baptism of the great commission.

Note that one thing can include multiple aspects, like how the Trinity is one God (Mark 12:29, John 10:30) and yet also three Persons at the same time (Mark 1:9-11, Matthew 28:19). And Christian faith is one faith, and yet it includes multiple core beliefs, such as that Jesus not only suffered and died on the Cross for our sins, but also physically rose from the dead on the third day (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). Similarly, while Christian baptism is one baptism (Ephesians 4:5), it includes two different aspects: water baptism and Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 8:15-17, Acts 11:15-16, Acts 10:44-48).

In order to be saved ultimately, believers must get water-immersion (burial) baptized into Jesus' death for our sins (Mark 16:16; 1 Peter 3:21, Romans 6:3-11, Colossians 2:12, Galatians 3:27, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16). If people believe with all their heart that Jesus Christ is the human/divine Son of God (Acts 8:37), they can get baptized anywhere there is water (Acts 8:36) into which they can be fully-immersed (buried) (Romans 6:3-11, Colossians 2:12). They need to make sure to be baptized in the name of God the Father; and of the Son, Jesus Christ; and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19, Acts 2:38). Believers can get water-immersion baptized at, for example, a Baptist-type congregation.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Baptism with the Holy Spirit does not exist today. This baptism was a prophecy of Joel the Lord fulfilled/ended/ceased some 2000 years ago. The 'one baptism" of Ephesians 4:4-5 is Christ's water baptism of the great commission. In Acts 8, the Spirit did not "spirit baptize" the eunuch but instead instructed Phillip to go and preach Jesus to the eunuch then Phillip water baptized the eunuch.
So how do you explain the ongoing evidence of people empowered by the filling of the Spirit, doing signs and wonders, through to the Fourth Century in the Western Church and to the 12th Century in the Eastern Church. In fact, the Eastern Church still believes in the enduement of power, tongues, prophecy and healing right through to this day. How do you explain the 250 recorded and proven miraculous healings that took place during the ministry of John Wesley, including that of his horse! If his horse believed in healing and got healed as a result, it has more awareness of the Holy Spirit's power than you have!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Here's the way I think we need to look at it. Tongues have IN EFFECT ceased. That is to say that while there may have been genuine experiences of it occurring over all the centuries since the Apostolic Age, there is no question but that they are rare at best. They no longer are a standard feature of the Christian experience.

In your original post, Alex, you spoke as though such a thing is to be expected. That's not the case. If God grants such a gift in our times, then he does, but it's clear that this phenomenon which was so important in the early church no longer is routine and we should not think about it as though it were common or necessary.
Tell that to over 50,000 Pentecostals and Charismatics world-wide. They would all laugh you out of the room! Just because you don't experience it, or those in your limited church sphere don't experience it, doesn't mean that it is not routine for vast areas of the Church you know nothing about. You are like the cessationist who said, "If I haven't been baptised in the Spirit, then it doesn't exist." It probably doesn't exist for you and if you are happy for it to remain that way, then the best of British luck to you.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Tell that to over 50,000 Pentecostals and Charismatics world-wide. They would all laugh you out of the room!
Certainly, but I was speaking of actual experiences of speaking in tongues. I thought we all were doing that on this thread.

What was the case during the Apostolic Age is one thing. People flapping their tongues today, making unintelligible sounds and calling it a gift of the Holy Spirit is something else. Some of these people will even teach you how to do it...and that's supposed to be a gift from God????

You are like the cessationist who said, "If I haven't been baptised in the Spirit, then it doesn't exist."
Is that a popular line among Pentecostals to be used on any doubter who comes along? If you read back through earlier posts you will see that I never made any point based on my own experience--or lack of same--with tongues. It is a fact of history that the gifts of the HS, which were so much a part of early church history and critically important, all but vanished after awhile. So the reason for saying that tongues ceased is that they ceased...except for a claimed experience of some individual here or there. Then a couple of centuries ago, there was a move preached up by a few men that Christians ought to start mimicing tongues-speaking, and it caught on in some quarters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Note that one thing can include multiple aspects, like how the Trinity is one God (Mark 12:29, John 10:30) and yet also three Persons at the same time (Mark 1:9-11, Matthew 28:19). And Christian faith is one faith, and yet it includes multiple core beliefs, such as that Jesus not only suffered and died on the Cross for our sins, but also physically rose from the dead on the third day (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). Similarly, while Christian baptism is one baptism (Ephesians 4:5), it includes two different aspects: water baptism and Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 8:15-17, Acts 11:15-16, Acts 10:44-48).

In order to be saved ultimately, believers must get water-immersion (burial) baptized into Jesus' death for our sins (Mark 16:16; 1 Peter 3:21, Romans 6:3-11, Colossians 2:12, Galatians 3:27, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16). If people believe with all their heart that Jesus Christ is the human/divine Son of God (Acts 8:37), they can get baptized anywhere there is water (Acts 8:36) into which they can be fully-immersed (buried) (Romans 6:3-11, Colossians 2:12). They need to make sure to be baptized in the name of God the Father; and of the Son, Jesus Christ; and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19, Acts 2:38). Believers can get water-immersion baptized at, for example, a Baptist-type congregation.

The is one faith Eph 4:4-5 and one = one. It does not mean one faith is made up of various core beliefs that contradict each other. The faith of the bible does not contradict itself.

One God of Eph 4:4-5 means one God not many different gods that make up one God. The bible teaches mono-theism not poly-theism. One body means one body not many bodies with many schisms. One Lord means one Lord, not many lords.

One baptism also means one baptism not multiple baptisms.

One = one.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So how do you explain the ongoing evidence of people empowered by the filling of the Spirit, doing signs and wonders, through to the Fourth Century in the Western Church and to the 12th Century in the Eastern Church. In fact, the Eastern Church still believes in the enduement of power, tongues, prophecy and healing right through to this day. How do you explain the 250 recorded and proven miraculous healings that took place during the ministry of John Wesley, including that of his horse! If his horse believed in healing and got healed as a result, it has more awareness of the Holy Spirit's power than you have!

They are just claims being made, not one shred of actual proof.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Tell that to over 50,000 Pentecostals and Charismatics world-wide. They would all laugh you out of the room!
I've "laughed" a few of them out of the room when they failed to back up what they claimed.

One occasion, years ago, one used to come by the office where I work to wash office workers cars in the parking lot. One day, and many days afterwards, he began telling me of all the miracles he had performed. He even claimed he raised his sister from the dead while at the cemetery to bury her. After biblically refuting his theology and claims, I grew tired of his continued claims. So the next time he came by the office, I put my coat on, turned the lights out told him to get in my truck that we were both going to the local hospital so he could miraculous heal people and ease them from pain and suffering, we'll even go down the morgue and let raise some from the dead that died overnight. He eyes grew rather large and he began stuttering and stammering with his speech and said he has nothing to prove and left and I never saw him again. This is typical of my experience with these 'claimers'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Certainly, but I was speaking of actual experiences of speaking in tongues. I thought we all were doing that on this thread.

What was the case during the Apostolic Age is one thing. People flapping their tongues today, making unintelligible sounds and calling it a gift of the Holy Spirit is something else. Some of these people will even teach you how to do it...and that's supposed to be a gift from God????

Is that a popular line among Pentecostals to be used on any doubter who comes along? If you read back through earlier posts you will see that I never made any point based on my own experience--or lack of same--with tongues. It is a fact of history that the gifts of the HS, which were so much a part of early church history and critically important, all but vanished after awhile. So the reason for saying that tongues ceased is that they ceased...except for a claimed experience of some individual here or there. Then a couple of centuries ago, there was a move preached up by a few men that Christians ought to start mimicing tongues-speaking, and it caught on in some quarters.
After being associated with the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements for the last 50 years, and also have a Mastorate in English and one in Divinity, I can say that I not only have an in-depth appreciation of the Pentecostal movement through years of experience, and a high level of academic learning both in English and theology, that I have never seen anything like you describe when people have spoken in tongues. Perhaps we down under in New Zealand have a much higher set of standards when it comes to worship and how we express it. All the ones I have heard speaking in tongues over the last 50 years have spoken clear, articulate languages in their intelligent worship of the Lord. At no time when I have prayed in private to the Lord has He ever told me that I was only flapping my lips when I prayed in tongues. But what He has said to me on a number of occasions when I asked Him was that He understands what I am saying and appreciates it.

I guess all you have experienced when you have visited a Charismatic church once or twice, have been the lunatic fringe misusing tongues by rattling it off in public contrary to what Paul taught about it in 1 Corinthians 14. I guess there are more lunatic fringe folks in the United States than there are way down here. But then, we are British by heritage, and we all know that British people are more sensible and particular in the way they go about things. :)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
They are just claims being made, not one shred of actual proof.
Having studied Church history at mastorate level, and completed a research paper on the ministry of healing through history and the present time, I would just have a chuckle about that statement.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
After being associated with the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements for the last 50 years, and also have a Mastorate in English and one in Divinity, I can say that I not only have an in-depth appreciation of the Pentecostal movement through years of experience, and a high level of academic learning both in English and theology, that I have never seen anything like you describe when people have spoken in tongues.
Well, I have, so that's what I was referring to.

I guess all you have experienced when you have visited a Charismatic church once or twice, have been the lunatic fringe misusing tongues by rattling it off in public contrary to what Paul taught about it in 1 Corinthians 14. I guess there are more lunatic fringe folks in the United States than there are way down here. But then, we are British by heritage, and we all know that British people are more sensible and particular in the way they go about things. :)
Blah Blah Blah. Let me know if you want to return to our topic here. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I've "laughed" a few of them out of the room when they failed to back up what they claimed.

One occasion, years ago, one used to come by the office where I work to wash office workers cars in the parking lot. One day, and many days afterwards, he began telling me of all the miracles he had performed. He even claimed he raised his sister from the dead while at the cemetery to bury her. After biblically refuting his theology and claims, I grew tired of his continued claims. So the next time he came by the office, I put my coat on, turned the lights out told him to get in my truck that we were both going to the local hospital so he could miraculous heal people and ease them from pain and suffering, we'll even go down the morgue and let raise some from the dead that died overnight. He eyes grew rather large and he began stuttering and stammering with his speech and said he has nothing to prove and left and I never saw him again. This is typical of my experience with these 'claimers'.
It looks like the only ones you have met and have contact with have been the lunatic fringe of the movement. Must be a lot more of them over where you live than way down here in the more sensible country of New Zealand. In all my 50 years of being associated with Pentecostals, I have never met anyone like that, and if I did, I would laugh them out of the room too! It is certainly not the practice of Pentecostals and Charismatics in New Zealand. It is certainly obvious that most of the crack-pot ministries have come out of the United States than anywhere else, so it is understandable that the lunatic fringe are more prominent up there. You don't hear of many, if any, British, NZ, or Australian crack-pot ministries, and that is probably why I have never met anyone associated with them.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well, I have, so that's what I was referring to.

Blah Blah Blah. Let me know if you want to return to our topic here. :sigh:
It just shows that New Zealand Pentecostals are more down to earth and sensible about the way they worship. Perhaps the Bermuda Triangle needs to move to the United States so the crack-pot ministries and people can disappear!

Upvote 0