Baptized in the Spirit and speaking in tongues?

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in tongues is a gift from God. It is not required to be baptized in the holy spirit. Accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior is what's necessary.
Not sure if you meant this but when we are baptized properly, in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, you are baptized in the Holy Spirit. This doesn't mean that you get one or more gifts of the Spirit, but that Spirit is needed to please God.

Upvote 0

Prepper Pete

Dec 2, 2018
Oviedo, FL
Visit site
✟11,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does the scriptures say that everyone has the gift of tongues?

No. In fact Paul was quite clear about that when he said that he wished that everyone could speak in tongues. It should be plainly obvious that if everyone spoke in tongues, that he wouldn't have made such a statement.

"I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying." 1 Cor 14:5 KJV

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul says that not everyone has the gift of tongues. Isnt that true?
Have you read acts? The HS is not selective and when tongues are given they are given indiscriminately. This conflicts the teaching of the gifts of the HS in Corinthians, since both must be true perhaps the gifts (greek: charisma) of the HS is different than the gift (greek: dorea) of the HS

Upvote 0

Prepper Pete

Dec 2, 2018
Oviedo, FL
Visit site
✟11,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've always said of the Book of Acts that there is only one consistency from beginning to end... and that is that no model, or reliable consistency is present regarding how God acted at that time, and that is that there is no model of consistency; I believe that it was intentional.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you read acts? The HS is not selective and when tongues are given they are given indiscriminately. This conflicts the teaching of the gifts of the HS in Corinthians, since both must be true perhaps the gifts (greek: charisma) of the HS is different than the gift (greek: dorea) of the HS
I dont see any conflict.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
There are three types of Pentecostals.

1. Ones who believe in being saved, sanctified, and filled with the Holy Ghost
2. Those who believe that it all comes at once
3. Those who believe saved and filled with the Holy Ghost

Those who believe in being saved, sanctified, and filled with the Holy Ghost normally grasp sanctification in the Wesleyan way. They will encourage you to tarry at the altar until you get it. When you get sanctification the old Wesleyan way the first creatures to know about it will be the family pets.

There is a trip between salvation and the witness of the Spirit in which we call sanctification. There was a story in these mountains of an old farmer man who gets upset with his horse for not plowing straight wind rows and begins to beat the horse. His wife then shouts out the window... Not yet honey... Not yet! When you get good and sanctified the first creatures to know about it will be the family pets. Instead of kicking them you will rub them and show them a little love.

The video below is of our church and a lady speaking in tongues. Knowing this lady she is a meek and a quiet soul, and the experience believable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its basically some christians making an excuse to prop themselves up as "holier" than you. Humans tend to do that in general. We find something we are good at and will tell other people if they aren't good at what we do, then they must be bad people.

Alot of what happened in the bible doesn't happen today. Theres no people instantly recovered from being blind. Theres no water turning to wine. Theres no tounges. These these are very rare.

And one important thing to remember to anyone who says your not baptized if you don't speak tounges.... ask them what was said. What was the message? Because the bible says if someone is REALLY speaking in tounges, someone else will be filled with the Holy Spirit and translate it at the same time. Because its suppose to be a message for everyone.

If that doesn't happen then they aren't speaking in tounges. They are likely just for lack of better words "mumbling" random words they make up. Anyone can do it. Being able to speak random stuff is not tounges. I mean... Ishny riblea fosstu segituv ifnay. See.... nothing special. Its what my friend says she does, she shouts out sounds and made up words to speak to God.

That said also remember there are two forms of "tounges" in the bible. The holy/divine kind of language I mentioned and tounges as in tower of babel where everyone spoke in "tounges". In which they could not understand each other. In other words they all suddenly spoke new languages. Which is why we use babel as a word to describe when we hear something we don't understand. Like when my wife speaks in her native language I have no idea what she is saying. Shes just babbling away.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My advice is to repeat your question on either the Spirit-filled/Charismatic or the Pentecostal forum. Your question will welcomed there, and you will get helpful answers. Because there is no debating by non-Charismatics on those forums, you won't get trolled and the waters muddied.

The thread on this forum, as has been with every other thread concerning tongues here, will descend into vain and useless arguments and repeated claptrap by Cessationists giving you the old chestnuts as to why tongues is false, of the devil, ceased after the Apostolic Age, etc. You don't need that. You want your question answered, and if you go to the forums I suggest, you will get a good range of answers that will assist you.
No one speaks in tongues today....nobody
Rhyming noises are not tongues.
You are not communicating in any secret language.making silly noise is not tongues no matter what forum you go to.
Baptism in the Spirit is not happening now. That was foundational like the shekinah cloud in Solomon's temple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
There are three types of Pentecostals.

1. Ones who believe in being saved, sanctified, and filled with the Holy Ghost
2. Those who believe that it all comes at once
3. Those who believe saved and filled with the Holy Ghost

Those who believe in being saved, sanctified, and filled with the Holy Ghost normally grasp sanctification in the Wesleyan way. They will encourage you to tarry at the altar until you get it. When you get sanctification the old Wesleyan way the first creatures to know about it will be the family pets.

There is a trip between salvation and the witness of the Spirit in which we call sanctification. There was a story in these mountains of an old farmer man who gets upset with his horse for not plowing straight wind rows and begins to beat the horse. His wife then shouts out the window... Not yet honey... Not yet! When you get good and sanctified the first creatures to know about it will be the family pets. Instead of kicking them you will rub them and show them a little love.

The video below is of our church and a lady speaking in tongues. Knowing this lady she is a meek and a quiet soul, and the experience believable.

You are not communicating in any secret language.making silly noise is not tongues no matter what forum you go to.

The lady in the video was not making a silly boise.

Upvote 0

liberty of conscience

created anew
Dec 3, 2018
Visistate
Visit site
✟12,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have heard people say that if you dont speak in tongues then you're not baptized in this spirit. Is this true or false? Is it biblical or not biblical? Thank you.

It is incorrect.

1Co_12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

The answer by implication by Paul is thus, "no."

The Holy Ghost divides up the gifts between differing persons.

1Co_12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Also, the purpose is often misunderstood.

1Co_14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

liberty of conscience

created anew
Dec 3, 2018
Visistate
Visit site
✟12,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The lady in the video was not making a silly (n)oise.

I listened to the music (which is not according to scriptural/sanctuary standards) and to the woman uttering unintelligable noises.

All true language/tongues, has order, syntax, structure, identifying vowels, and consonants, as well as verbs, nouns and so on. Even pictograph languages have these things.

Whatever that woman was uttering (noises that issued from the throat, stemming from the confused (God is not the author of confusion) heart, for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh), was none of those things. It cannot be translated into English (or any other true language for that matter), nor can it be written down (especially systematically the same when shown to several independant and double blind participants) in letters or symbols (it could not even be subtitled properly or repeated in a double blind independant subcaptioning), and no two persons under the same double blind and independant test would 'translate' (make stuff up) the same way even if they were in agreement that what was uttered could be translated. It is vain repetitions, and selfishness, stemming from unsanctified desire, being emotionalism, and spiritualism. None are edified by it, since it has none of the word of God in it, and is only enjoyed by the vain imagination which imagines what they will from it.

She is not under the control of herself and deceived. This does not mean that she is automatically wicked, etc. A person can be most sincerely in error.

If she actually prayed to God in all truth to have it removed (since it is false), it would be removed in an instant from her.

I have done a study on this matter from scripture in some detail.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Baptism in the Spirit is not happening now. That was foundational like the shekinah cloud in Solomon's temple.
I don't recognise your authority for saying that. What are you going to do about that?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I listened to the music (which is not according to scriptural/sanctuary standards) and to the woman uttering unintelligable noises.

All true language/tongues, has order, syntax, structure, identifying vowels, and consonants, as well as verbs, nouns and so on. Even pictograph languages have these things.

Whatever that woman was uttering (noises that issued from the throat, stemming from the confused (God is not the author of confusion) heart, for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh), was none of those things. It cannot be translated into English (or any other true language for that matter), nor can it be written down (especially systematically the same when shown to several independant and double blind participants) in letters or symbols (it could not even be subtitled properly or repeated in a double blind independant subcaptioning), and no two persons under the same double blind and independant test would 'translate' (make stuff up) the same way even if they were in agreement that what was uttered could be translated. It is vain repetitions, and selfishness, stemming from unsanctified desire, being emotionalism, and spiritualism. None are edified by it, since it has none of the word of God in it, and is only enjoyed by the vain imagination which imagines what they will from it.

She is not under the control of herself and deceived. This does not mean that she is automatically wicked, etc. A person can be most sincerely in error.

If she actually prayed to God in all truth to have it removed (since it is false), it would be removed in an instant from her.

I have done a study on this matter from scripture in some detail.

I was in service recording that video and left spiritually refreshed. I would not trade that kind of service for all the funeral homes on earth. Pentecostal until the day I die!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what video you are speaking of. I was just speaking in general terms. Those who claim sign gifts attack the sufficiency of Scripture.
So you think that quoting Scripture at people is going to save them? How are you going to deal with an Atheist who doesn't believe anything in the Bible no matter how much you quote it at him?

Upvote 0