✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not in the spring at Passover.

The Bible does not clearly state wehther the grapes were freshly squeezed or aged, but as someone noted earlier, with no refrigerators in the first century nothing could prevent fermentaiton. But how does anyone know when the grapes were picked and liquified?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not clearly state wehther the grapes were freshly squeezed or aged, but as someone noted earlier, with no refrigerators in the first century nothing could prevent fermentaiton. But how does anyone know when the grapes were picked and liquified?

There is always the possibility that the grapes in question were harvested at the end of the growing season when they were ripe. That is what happens everywhere else in the world. In the northern hemisphere that is in the fall while in the southern hemisphere that is in the spring. It is not difficult to draw conclusions.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="PostImpatica, post: 73875407, member: 418806"]I'm a Baptist but I don't understand why they believe in abstaining from all Alcohol including wine.
============
Because of the effects it has on the mind, body, health, and society. (all bad)
============

I understand abstaining if someone you love battles with alcoholism and we don't want to be a stumbling block but to have this stance within your church doctrine when Christ himself drank wine seems really odd.
============
No one can prove Christ drank wine.
Doctrines of man IS really odd. (Not just seems odd.)
============

Matthew 11:19 19The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..." So apparently Christ drank wine.
============
Apparently people might think so. That doesn't make it so.
When IT IS WRITTEN ABOUT JESUS: "Here IS A GLUTTON AND A DRUNKARD"
THEN
do people THING APPARENTLY JESUS is a glutton and a drunkard ?
============

But the biggest issue .....
============
Why should it even be an issue at all ?
============

............. I find is when Christ himself did his first miracle and created 6 barrels of wine from water. This was not some non-alcoholic wine either because in John 2:10 it says, "Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now."
============
"the good wine" may be translated differently (the meaning very well may be NOT what is generally thought) -
FOR CLARITY, (in God's purpose, meaning, righteousness, effects and results,
(If you want) read David Wilkersons book "Sipping Saints" if Yahuweh(God) Permits...)
============

Would Christ have created 6 stacks of dirty magazines, of course not. Would he have created 6 bags of heroin, of course not. Christ wouldn't have created 6 barrels of wine if it was something to be ashamed of so why do so many households act ashamed of wine?
==================================
Multitudes (individuals AND households) are or should be ashamed of their unbelief and their behavior under the influence of wine or other spirits, according to Scripture.
Yet it is written : MY PEOPLE have FORGOTTEN how to blush !

I guess my ultimate question is, why do people try to act more righteous than Christ?[/QUOTE
================
Don't guess. BE SPECIFIC. Who acts more righteous than Christ ?
Isn't it those who blatantly disobey Him, thinking they are right and that
God approves of their actions, thoughts, words and lives ?
Those who obey Christ know that they are not more righteous than Christ - that
man's righteousness is at best (as written) like women's filthy rags.
================

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Can someone provide a scripture that says Jesus consumed alcohol? I have never read anything of the sort. Please and thanks.

Jews drank wine at the Passover meal:

Mat 26:26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
Mat 26:27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Mat 26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Mat 27:48 And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink.

This vinegar was also a form of wine.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟774,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can someone provide a scripture that says Jesus consumed alcohol? I have never read anything of the sort. Please and thanks.

Every sabbath they would consume wine (and still do) during the welcoming of the sabbath prayers after saying prayers over it. Also Passover as mentioned above. Even if he did not drink it the scripture is clear that consuming it is OK, given context, the miracles, etc.

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a Baptist but I don't understand why they believe in abstaining from all Alcohol including wine. I understand abstaining if someone you love battles with alcoholism and we don't want to be a stumbling block but to have this stance within your church doctrine when Christ himself drank wine seems really odd.

Matthew 11:19 19The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..." So apparently Christ drank wine.

But the biggest issue I find is when Christ himself did his first miracle and created 6 barrels of wine from water. This was not some non-alcoholic wine either because in John 2:10 it says, "Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now."

Would Christ have created 6 stacks of dirty magazines, of course not. Would he have created 6 bags of heroin, of course not. Christ wouldn't have created 6 barrels of wine if it was something to be ashamed of so why do so many households act ashamed of wine? I guess my ultimate question is, why do people try to act more righteous than Christ?
I love that! I was raised First Southern Baptist and was taught everything, pert near, was a sin...drinking, dancing...even as a child I knew this wasn't right.
It must be human nature to want to out do God. The Jews did it, by adding to the law, such as adding time to the sabbath, Baptists say no drinking when the Bible has a more rounded view...don't be drunk, Catholics told priests not to marry, and so on. I am convinced it is just as dangerous to add laws that God did not specify, as it is to go the other way and ignore God's laws. All we can do is read the word for ourselves and seek God, because people are imperfect and sinful, and get it wrong over and over. Drinking is not a sin, being drunk is, and all one has to do is drink too much to understand why this is true! :)

Upvote 0