• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Baptists abstain from alcohol but Christ created 6 barrels of it

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by PostImpatica, Apr 20, 2019.

1. PostImpatica

PostImpatica New Member

+7
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I'm a Baptist but I don't understand why they believe in abstaining from all Alcohol including wine. I understand abstaining if someone you love battles with alcoholism and we don't want to be a stumbling block but to have this stance within your church doctrine when Christ himself drank wine seems really odd.

Matthew 11:19 19The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..." So apparently Christ drank wine.

But the biggest issue I find is when Christ himself did his first miracle and created 6 barrels of wine from water. This was not some non-alcoholic wine either because in John 2:10 it says, "Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now."

Would Christ have created 6 stacks of dirty magazines, of course not. Would he have created 6 bags of heroin, of course not. Christ wouldn't have created 6 barrels of wine if it was something to be ashamed of so why do so many households act ashamed of wine? I guess my ultimate question is, why do people try to act more righteous than Christ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+1,434
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Yes - about 30 gallons of it, and He supplied it miraculously when many had already drunk much.

At the same time He said "be not drunk with wine which is dissipation, but be filled with the Holy Spirit.

The word dissipation is interesting as it indicates that the Filling of His Spirit is diluted by excessive drinking.

Blessings,

Carl Emerson.

3. Aspzan

Aspzan Well-Known Member Supporter

+486
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    The Bible has enough negative things to say about alcohol to warrant not drinking it. Also in response to the Matthew 11:19 verse, the Bible says that you can eat for drunkeness not just drink alcohol.
    Ecclesiastes 10:17.

4. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+5,622
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I was a member of a Southern Baptist ecclesial community for seven years and I never figured out the alcohol thing either. I obeyed but it never made sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Sleep is for the weak

+2,624
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I'm a Baptist and I drink :sorry:

6. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+5,176
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Some take it by faith that he made non-alcoholic "wine" that tasted like really good wine. But this is entirely a conjecture that is not stated in Scripture which is declared anyway to suit their pre-existing belief that drinking any alcohol, even in moderation, is bad. It's not really any better than when other denominations insist on extra-Biblical traditions of their own (which Baptists are known to criticize).

7. Mary Meg

Mary Meg Well-Known Member Supporter

+691
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I'm Baptist and I'm underage. :sweatsmile: But I think I'll be ok with drinking temperately when I can.

8. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,074
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The idea that any consumption of alcohol is a sin is a later tradition of protestant puritanism. You find it primarily among American Baptist and Pentecostals, etc.

Drunkenness is prohibited throughout the old and new testaments, and actually was the first death penalty offense Jesus himself was accused of. But a biblical drunkard is what we would call a substance abuser today. Moderate alcohol consumption is not a sin, but allowing it to control our lives is.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+8,201
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    I drink bottled water, coffee, tea, herbal teas, milk, juice, non-alcoholic egg nog, and soft drinks. That's all I can remember right now.

10. Jonaitis

+2,624
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I'm glad not all the Puritans thought this way, many believed we should drink with temperance.
    I'm glad you now enjoy coffee and tea ;)

11. Jonaitis

+2,624
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I have a friend who thinks, or at least thought, alcohol was sinful and lectured me on it. He made some good points, but in the end they didn't necessarily justify the idea it was sin.

12. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+8,201
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Smiley spits drink.gif

13. Mary Meg

Mary Meg Well-Known Member Supporter

+691
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Does he no longer think that, or is he no longer your friend? :tearsofjoy:

14. Jonaitis

+2,624
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Well, the lecture turned into a discussion and I tried to convince him that it wasn't. He began to then say that he thinks maybe it isn't sinful, but we should still avoid it for our good.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  15. Tigger45

Tigger45 St Francis Supporter

+7,547
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I read scripture as speaking against excessive drinking but not to complete abstinence against consuming alcohol altogether. Reading scripture with that in mind harmonizes the subject.

16. MWood

MWood Newbie

+7,965
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    The reason the Baptist advocate against drinking is because of drinking to excess and the thing a person does when drunk. It is as the Bible says. The things that a person does while drunk ruins a persons testimony. How can one be a good Ambassador for Jesus when his speech is slurred?

17. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats God Seeker

+937
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I see you are Reformed under your username. Is that a registration mistake?

18. Jonaitis

+2,624
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    No, I chose it since I identify as Reformed Baptist (distinct from a Calvinist Baptist). I have contemplated for a while now whether or not I should just change it to Baptist, but the term seems too general. 'Reformed' brings out much of the distinctives I have than a general Baptist may hold.

19. ChristianForCats

+937
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    That does not mean Baptists should abstain from ALL drinking. If you can drive home from a restaurant it should not be considered too much.

20. ChristianForCats

+937
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Unfortunately, something is wrong with the website and you can't change your religion, only your political party and marital status.