Na
✟11,858.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a newly Christian believer, i’ve been to both Presbyterian and Baptist church yet I don’t see a huge difference. Can you please explain in a simple way what’s the differences between baptism and presbyterian?

Currently, I’m going to a baptist church as the previous presbyterian church disappointed me. I am still building my faith and I want to know which one would be more better for me.

• Prayers
Reactions: St_Worm2

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Presbyterian can vary from rather consrvative to liberal. Can you let us know a little about what you believe and where you might fall on the conservative/liberal spectrum? They are both in the Reformed tradition, so there will be some similarities to be sure.

For start, Presbyterians sometimes believe in infant Baptism, which a Baptist will generally not agree with. But that is a generality for Presbyterians as many of them do not believe in it either.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chadMiddleMan

boogiezana
Feb 26, 2020
Ocala
Visit site
✟18,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As a newly Christian believer, i’ve been to both Presbyterian and Baptist church yet I don’t see a huge difference. Can you please explain in a simple way what’s the differences between baptism and presbyterian?

Currently, I’m going to a baptist church as the previous presbyterian church disappointed me. I am still building my faith and I want to know which one would be more better for me.

Hi Kolleen! Welcome to the family of God :)

The two primary differences are:

Baptist: Believer's baptism
Presbyterian: Household baptism (Believer's and their pre-believing children)

Baptist: Typically governed by elders/deacons in the local church, and maybe associated with (but not governed by) a larger denomination (e.g. southern baptist)
Presbyterian: Typically governed, not only by local elders, but also regional and denominational level elders.

As for other theology, it depends on the church...For example, most Presbyterians are Calvinist, while baptists are a mix of Calvinists and Arminians, and in-betweeners (i.e. Molinists). You can Google those :)

There is also a wider spectrum of liberalism vs conservatism in the Presbyterian church versus the baptist church. Baptists are typically more conservative (e.g. no homosexual marriage), while the largest Presbyterian denomination, PCUSA, is quite liberal. There are conservative ones though, such as PCA.

Hope this helps

Blessings on your journey

Chad

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For some reason I keep thinking that, Presbyterian's kinda similar to Jehovah's Witness.
Not at all. JWs are more or less modern Arians with some very unorthodox theology. We do not consider them Christians on this forum. Presbyterians are a historic Protestant denomination that has both conservative and mainline groups as well as independent churches and are all overall orthodox in belief.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
For some reason I keep thinking that, Presbyterian's kinda similar to Jehovah's Witness.
LOLOL......not in the least. I have attended both and the presby services, IMO, tend to be more formal and more ordered. Responsive reading is common. Baptists are more free wheeling as I have seen people stand during the service and give testimony, wave their hands and even shout halleluejah or PTL or some praising phrase. I am sure not all are like that but the ones I attended (Southern Baptist) were. IIRC the SB's did not seem to celebrate communion very often but the presby's were somewhat frequent maybe one a month. But anyways find one that you feel comfortable with and try it out for a while.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It depends if the Baptist church is Reformed Baptist (like my church) or just plain Baptist. The Reformed Baptists will be in doctrine Reformed of course but affirm believers baptism. Presbyterians believe in infant baptism. The Presbyterian church government structure will also differ from the elders and pastors of a Reformed Baptist church.

Confessions:

Presbyterians will normally follow the Westminster Confession of Faith and Reformed Baptists normally follow the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Currently, I’m going to a baptist church as the previous presbyterian church disappointed me. I am still building my faith and I want to know which one would be more better for me.​
The similarity is the fact to which attention should be paid.​
People get caught up in denominationalism but the truth is Christianity is in overwhelming unity and agreement over the core doctrines of the faith. In the non-essentials there is diversity and (hopefully) tolerance. Well-meaning Christians can agree to disagree.​
Ironically, the reverse is closer to the truth. Neither the Presbyterian nor the Baptist denomination is anything like JWism. Presbyterians and Baptists both fall well within the pale of orthodoxy or mainstream Christian thought, doctrine, and practice. JWs do not believe in the Trinity. They do not believe in the inherent divinity of Jesus. In their theology Jesus is a created creature, the only person created directly by God. All others were created by Jesus. This is one of the doctrines that makes JWism a cult and well outside the mainstream of historical Christianity.

I was being a bit facetious when I said Baptists were closer to JWism. It's not true. The reason I said this is because Presbyterianism is the older of the two; Baptists came along about 50 years after the Presbyterians.

The Protestant Reformation began in 1517 when Martin Luther wrote his "95 Theses" protesting then-current Church practices. The Church in Europe at that time was Roman Catholicism (the Orthodox Church was largely to the east). Following on the heels of Luther was John Calvin and following in Calvin's steps was the Scottish cleric John Knox, the founder of the Presbyterian Church around 1560. With the rise of Protestant thought came diversity that eventually manifested itself into various denominations, each emphasizing a certain aspect of sectarian thought.

Knox was closely affiliated with Calvin's theology. The Presbyterians emphasized a specific style of congregational governance, placing the authority of the congregation in the presbytery, or elders. Hence the name "Presbyterian." Prior to this the priests held sole or preeminent authority. This was a marked departure in Christian practice from the institutional hierarchy of the Roman Catholic and the Church of England (Anglican or Episcopal).

Baptists, on the other hand, emphasized baptism as a necessary practice in the process of conversion. The first Baptist church appears somewhere around 1607 (working from memory here).

To complicate things further there are Baptists that associate with Calvin. They are called Reformed Baptists. They are the minority among Baptists, with the majority of Baptists in America affiliating with the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC).

Calvinism, Prebyterianism, and Reformed Baptists emphasize the sovereignty of God, the authority of scripture, and a monergistic soteriology. Most congregations in the Baptist denomination side with Arminius and his synergist soteriology. The rituals and doctrines surrounding baptism and salvation are the chief areas where you will find the Presbyterians and SBC Baptists differ. They are both Protestant denominations well within the mainstream of Christianity.

Jehovah's Witnesses are not.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Presbyterian=Church + State
Baptist - Church
They both have issues.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Kolleen, there are some differences in belief, which other posters have referred to, but I think the style differences might weigh more heavily on you and your decision.

It would be good idea for you to attend several Sunday worship services in each of these churches and pay attention to the religious themes, type of sermon, music, and etc. You will probably come away with a strong preference for one or the other of these denominations.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I've met Presbyterians who shine with the love of Jesus and Baptists who have hearts of stone. Go where the love is. Bible knowledge is really important, but the "my doctrine is better than yours" attitude is mostly religious pride.

"If we love our brothers and sisters who are believers, it proves that we have passed from death to life. But a person who has no love is still dead." 1 John 3:14

Ask Lord Jesus to show you. He will.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I believe you will find the information at these links useful in your search for a church where you can grow in the faith, whichever denomination you end up picking.

--David

Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Kolleen, I found this series of lectures, called Spiritual Boot Camp, to be extremely helpful when I became a Christian 30+ years ago (I am, in fact, still using some of the things I learned in that series in my walk today).

The 4 lectures that comprise Dr. MacArthur's, Spiritual Boot Camp, take a close look at four of our most important Christian spiritual disciplines, How to Study Scripture, How to Pray, How to Function in the Body (fellowship), and How to Witness, and they are all free to listen to and/or read online. They offer detailed information about each discipline, as well practical advice about how to apply each of them to your daily Christian walk.

This series of lectures is not so much about finding the right church to attend as it is about your personal growth as a Christian, but since you said you are new to the faith, I thought I would mention the series to you :)

I see that you are still pretty new around here, so WELCOME TO CF :wave:, but FAR more importantly sister, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY OF GOD :)

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - the Bible tells us plainly that, "this is the will of God, your sanctification..." (1 Thess 4:3). Here are a few verses/passages concerning that topic that you may find useful: Joshua 1:8; Psalm 1:1-3, 119:9-11, 105; John 17:17; Romans 12:2; Philippians 1:6; 2 Timothy 2:15, 3:16-17 & Deuteronomy 11:18-21.

1 Thessalonians 5
23 May the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body
be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

Read your bible and the differences will make themselves known. The seed of the Christian and the church is the word of God. As you study it, you'll see the fruit or lack thereof in whatever church you attend.

Upvote 0