Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As someone relatively new to the SBC, what is the official view of communion? Just a symbol or remembrance, or as a way where God mysteriously comes to us? Or are there several views?

I am not SBC but I have attended/participated-in a number of SBC communion services and they appear to me to hold the same view of the communion service as does my denomination - which is that it is a memorial "Do this in remembrance of Me" -- and is using symbols.

There is an online document called "The Baptist Faith and Message" that also appears to hold that same view. Baptist Faith and Message - IMB

"The Lord’s Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming."​

And of course Matt 18:"20 For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.” --- The "real presence" is in the sense of Christ's statement Matt 18:20 - it is not in the form of confecting the "body,blood, soul and divinity"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am not SBC but I have attended/participated-in a number of SBC communion services and they appear to me to hold the same view of the communion service as does my denomination - which is that it is a memorial "Do this in remembrance of Me" -- and is using symbols.

There is an online document called "The Baptist Faith and Message" that also appears to hold that same view. Baptist Faith and Message - IMB

"The Lord’s Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming."​

And of course Matt 18:"20 For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.” --- The "real presence" is in the sense of Christ's statement Matt 18:20 - it is not in the form of confecting the "body,blood, soul and divinity"

Interesting way to put it, He is there, but not the actual body and blood.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Interesting way to put it, He is there, but not the actual body and blood.

well the idea of "confecting the body,blood,soul and divinity" of Christ is not something you find in the "Baptist Faith and Message" for the Lord's Table. Maybe it is discussed among Baptists

Christ said "wherever two or three are gathered there I am in your midst" - if he meant "in bodily form" than we would be talking about zillions of "second comings"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As someone relatively new to the SBC, what is the official view of communion? Just a symbol or remembrance, or as a way where God mysteriously comes to us? Or are there several views?

I would start out calling it The Lords Supper and not communion. That is what i believe about 90% call it in the southern baptist.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
well the idea of "confecting the body,blood,soul and divinity" of Christ is not something you find in the "Baptist Faith and Message" for the Lord's Table. Maybe it is discussed among Baptists

Christ said "wherever two or three are gathered there I am in your midst" - if he meant "in bodily form" than we would be talking about zillions of "second comings"

So is it any different than when two or three Christians are gathered for worship?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
From the Statement of Purpose for this forum, there is this:

• The Lords Supper is an ordinance (one of two ordinances), done in remembrance of the sacrifice Jesus Christ made for us at the cross.

This is one of the hallmarks of Baptist doctrine, considered one of the distinctives.

You should speak to your pastor or an elder about it.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,855.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
As someone relatively new to the SBC, what is the official view of communion?

I'm a Particular/Reformed Baptist so I can't answer that one.

Just a symbol or remembrance, or as a way where God mysteriously comes to us?

We feed upon Christ by faith in the ordinances. Christ is truly present in the elements of bread and wine, we receive Him by faith, we feed upon Christ by faith. The elements of bread and wine do not change but remain bread and wine, however, Christ is offered to all but only received by believers.

Or are there several views?

Yes, the memorialism of Zwingli will likely remain the most popular view.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0