Baptist here (again), could use some Lutheran advice.

Ecclesiastian

Mar 7, 2019
Tifton
✟23,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So, let me preface this by saying that I'm still a young Christian (saved roughly a year ago), so I'm anything but an expert on theology. But simply through exploring different sources in this short time, and doing my daily Bible reading, I'm becoming somewhat convinced that Confessional Lutheranism makes a bit more sense scripturally than my own denomination or the other major options like Presbyterianism. I've become mostly convinced of baptismal regeneration from my own experience and also through the verses in 1 Peter and the latter end of Mark where it seems pretty clear that Christian Baptism is a necessary element of salvation. And also I find it... unlikely to say the least that the sacraments are mere symbols given the fact that people can literally die from taking of them wrongly (case in point, the Eucharist).

Anyway, I'm struggling now with what to do about this. The only Lutheran Church within a viable distance is on the verge of dying, unfortunately. They only have 10 elderly members and the pastor isn't the full time pastor of the church, but travels from out of town to preach there. Secondly, I have a very loving church family at my current Baptist Church, and the idea of ever leaving them for a reason other than moving elsewhere feels almost like betrayal given how much of themselves they've poured into me.

I was wondering what the appropriate Lutheran stance was on crises like these.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I would speak with the pastor and get some guidance from him. There are online resources such as the Lutheran Hour which could be of benefit. You also might ask if he could bring with him a Lutheran hymnal and a copy of Luther's Small Catechism (with Explanation) that the LCMS / WELS use today for you to read at home. At least then even though you might not be able to participate in a Sunday liturgy, you would have services such as Matins and Vespers that you can read on your own. He may even know of someone else in your area that does travel to his home parish and might be able to give you a ride.

Upvote 0

Ecclesiastian

Mar 7, 2019
Tifton
✟23,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Appreciated, GreekOrthodox. I actually already have a copy of the Lutheran Confessions published by Concordia, which includes both the small and large catechisms. I'll look into a Lutheran hymnal and may try thet catch the pastor at the parish here one day when I have the time.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anyway, I'm struggling now with what to do about this. The only Lutheran Church within a viable distance is on the verge of dying, unfortunately. They only have 10 elderly members and the pastor isn't the full time pastor of the church, but travels from out of town to preach there. Secondly, I have a very loving church family at my current Baptist Church, and the idea of ever leaving them for a reason other than moving elsewhere feels almost like betrayal given how much of themselves they've poured into me.

Former Baptist here. Which synod does the Lutheran Church near you belong to? I can understand the desire to make a switch. Once you start reading about church history it becomes extremely difficult to remain a baptist. I would talk to the pastor at the Lutheran congregation. Another thing you may wish to look into is if there is an eastern orthodox parish near you.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Ecclesiastian! I was hoping some would chime in that are much more knowledgeable than I.
My husband was a lifelong Baptist but has attended a WELS church with me for all of our 26 year marriage. He wanted to join with me, I didn't have to push him. He attended a 12 week catechism course and I went with him. He was impressed with how scriptural the Lutheran church is and he already accepted the doctrine of the real presence. The only issue he had was infant (and regenerational) baptism but the Pastor brought in some copies he had made of the Early Church Fathers and writings which supported infant Baptism. He is all in Lutheran now. I agree with Greek Orthodox and Newtheran. I see you already have the Small and Large Catechism, the Book of Concord. The Augsberg confessions can be read online. Also I would recommend WELS.net and LCMS.org.
I attended a non denominational church for about 10 years and I loved it and was fed by it but something was missing. I was raised LCMS and I wanted to go back to the real presence in the Eucharist. I hope you are able to attend the Lutheran church at least to check it out.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So, let me preface this by saying that I'm still a young Christian (saved roughly a year ago), so I'm anything but an expert on theology. But simply through exploring different sources in this short time, and doing my daily Bible reading, I'm becoming somewhat convinced that Confessional Lutheranism makes a bit more sense scripturally than my own denomination or the other major options like Presbyterianism. I've become mostly convinced of baptismal regeneration from my own experience and also through the verses in 1 Peter and the latter end of Mark where it seems pretty clear that Christian Baptism is a necessary element of salvation. And also I find it... unlikely to say the least that the sacraments are mere symbols given the fact that people can literally die from taking of them wrongly (case in point, the Eucharist).

I'm not sure what a viable distance is, but I would guess 30 minutes.

Your soul is in no danger by being a Baptist, but I understand your situation.

If it is your desire to embrace the Lutheran Faith, then I would attend the church you mentioned until it closes. My wife and I went through this about 18 months ago, we were down to about 25 members, $7 Million in debt from a failed child care center, bad relations with the congregation we split from, visiting pastor's (many) and the list goes on.

On the last Sunday, several pastors from other LCMS churches in the Tampa Bay Area attended and encouraged those of us who remained to join them. I can't imagine the synod allowing the church to be boarded up and not offering some alternative, some way to provide worship opportunities to the members remaining, I could be wrong I guess.

If it was me, and their were no other opportunities that are viable for your situation, then I would just stay where I was...There will be plenty of Baptist joining us Lutherans in the presence of the lord.

Upvote 0