Baptist Vs Non Denominational: Difference in Teachings?

vmonica

Jul 30, 2012
NYC
✟7,717.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi,

So I previously was a member of a Baptist church growing up (which I don't remember much of) now that I am older and maturing in my christianity I have finally found a church that fits It's a non denominational church and I was wondering what are the main differences because I may be speaking out of ignorance but I see very little other then preaching style. Are they teaching different things?

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
Hi,

So I previously was a member of a Baptist church growing up (which I don't remember much of) now that I am older and maturing in my christianity I have finally found a church that fits It's a non denominational church and I was wondering what are the main differences because I may be speaking out of ignorance but I see very little other then preaching style. Are they teaching different things?

They are essentially the same. Nondenoms tend to be a little more open about things like gambling and drinking whereas some Baptist churches view it as sinful. And the obvious fact that a Baptist church might be part of a national body whereas a nondenom won't, unless it is one of those churches that calls itself nondenominational when it really is part of a new denomination.

Upvote 0

americanvet

Saved Sinner
Jun 15, 2012
The White Couch of Pristinia
✟20,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Without knowing your particular nondenominational churches doctrine and what baptist denomination (or independent baptist church) doctrine there is no way anyone can answer the question. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Dreamer8

Jul 21, 2012
✟595.00
Faith
Judaism
Without knowing your particular nondenominational churches doctrine and what baptist denomination (or independent baptist church) doctrine there is no way anyone can answer the question. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

yeah, also you can go to 2 different churches in same denomination and same group, and find things the pastors disagree on

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, VMonica.

I agree with the previous comments. The nature of the Baptist churches (independent, non-credal) and the nature of non-denominational churches makes it impossible to give a firm answer at this point. However, many non-denominational churches DO have a statement of faith that members are expected to accept. If you can produce that for us, we'd know better what you're facing. If that's not possible, check into it and see if that statement squares with your own conscience and beliefs. Otherwise, it's safe to say that non-denominational churches usually are very similar to Baptist churches.

Upvote 0

vmonica

Jul 30, 2012
NYC
✟7,717.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks for all your answers everyone! Very helpful!

Also here is the statement of faith for my new church:

Statement of Faith of Brooklyn Tabernacle
o We believe in the verbal inspiration and inerrancy of the Scriptures and the authority of both the Old and New Testaments.
o We believe that God eternally exists in three Persons--the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit--and that these three are one God, having the same nature, attributes, and perfections, and worthy of the same worship, reverence, and obedience.
o We believe man was created in the image of God, but sinned and fell through disobedience, and that the entire human race shares in man's lost and depraved nature.
o We believe Jesus, the eternal Son of God, took upon Himself the form of a man by means of the virgin birth, lived a sinless life, yet retained His absolute deity, being at the same time very God and very man.
o We believe that atonement for sin was made by the sacrificial and substitutionary death of Jesus Christ.
o We believe in the literal resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into heaven, and His priestly intercession.
o We believe salvation is the gift of God by grace alone and received by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and that this faith is manifested in works pleasing to God.
o We believe the Holy Spirit is the Promise of the Father, the Comforter who indwells and places every believer in the Body of Christ, bestows spiritual gifts upon the Church and convicts the world of sin and the judgment to come.
o We believe the baptism of the Holy Spirit is for all believers as a definite endowment of power for service and is subsequent to, and separate from, conversion.
o We believe that the ordinances of the church, by the command of Christ, are Water Baptism by immersion and the Lord's Supper, both of which are administered to those who are born again.
o We believe in the eternal salvation of the believers and in the eternal damnation and punishment of the nonbelievers. We believe that the consummation of all things includes the visible, personal, and glorious return of Jesus Christ the "Blessed Hope" of the Church.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sounds typically Evangelical and Baptistic but with a Charismatic bent that is not characteristic of most Baptists.

We believe the baptism of the Holy Spirit is for all believers as a definite endowment of power for service and is subsequent to, and separate from, conversion.

This generally means speaking in tongues, etc. is part of worship or the belief system of that church. Does it square with your own convictions?

Otherwise, I don't see much in that statement of faith that is a lot different from what most Baptists might write up.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Thanks for all your answers everyone! Very helpful!

Also here is the statement of faith for my new church:

Statement of Faith of Brooklyn Tabernacle
o We believe in the verbal inspiration and inerrancy of the Scriptures and the authority of both the Old and New Testaments.
o We believe that God eternally exists in three Persons--the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit--and that these three are one God, having the same nature, attributes, and perfections, and worthy of the same worship, reverence, and obedience.
o We believe man was created in the image of God, but sinned and fell through disobedience, and that the entire human race shares in man's lost and depraved nature.
o We believe Jesus, the eternal Son of God, took upon Himself the form of a man by means of the virgin birth, lived a sinless life, yet retained His absolute deity, being at the same time very God and very man.
o We believe that atonement for sin was made by the sacrificial and substitutionary death of Jesus Christ.
o We believe in the literal resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into heaven, and His priestly intercession.
o We believe salvation is the gift of God by grace alone and received by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and that this faith is manifested in works pleasing to God.
o We believe the Holy Spirit is the Promise of the Father, the Comforter who indwells and places every believer in the Body of Christ, bestows spiritual gifts upon the Church and convicts the world of sin and the judgment to come.
o We believe the baptism of the Holy Spirit is for all believers as a definite endowment of power for service and is subsequent to, and separate from, conversion.
o We believe that the ordinances of the church, by the command of Christ, are Water Baptism by immersion and the Lord's Supper, both of which are administered to those who are born again.
o We believe in the eternal salvation of the believers and in the eternal damnation and punishment of the nonbelievers. We believe that the consummation of all things includes the visible, personal, and glorious return of Jesus Christ the "Blessed Hope" of the Church.

I know of the Brooklyn Tabernacle and it is, indeed, very similar to most Baptist churches. In fact, I can't find any significant differences. As for the baptism of the Holy Spirit, it definitely is not seen by the Brooklyn Tabernacle like the Pentecostals and charismatics view it. BT emphasizes that every believer is baptized by the Holy Spirit and that the purpose is to empower believers for effective service. There is no mention or intention of tongues or other Pentecostal doctrines there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BillyShope

Aug 13, 2012
✟15,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are they teaching different things?
In my case...I'm non-denominational..., the answer is definitely "yes." No, we haven't forgotten that we're to "avoid the very appearance of sin," but we know that we are living under grace, not Law (Romans 6:14). If you are being encouraged to experience water baptism or to seek a "baptism of the Holy Spirit," you are in a "performance-driven" church. In other words, you've placed yourself in bondage to "law." No, it's not the Law which governed the lives of the Israelites, for that Law is gone, but such a church is asking you to live under similar regulations. Thus, such a church is said to be "combining law and grace."

God's Word tells us that we are to make a separation (Second Timothy 2:15). And, what better place to separate than between Christ's earthly ministry ("I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel" and "Salvation is of the Jews") and the resurrected Lord's guidance to the apostle Paul ("There is neither Jew nor Greek"). When we do this, we see that the "Gospel of the Kingdom" was preached through Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and until Paul's conversion (Acts 9). Paul, then, is allowed to introduce the "Gospel of the Grace of God." Since Paul, and Paul alone, is the "apostle to the Gentiles," it should not surprise you that he refers to it as "my gospel."

References to such matters as "repent and be baptized" are found ONLY as the gospel of the Kingdom is being preached to Jews and Jewish proselytes and NEVER to gentiles.

So, unless you enjoy guilt, seek a church which rightly divides and know the freedom of life under grace. Christ did, after all, take the punishment for ALL your sins as He hung on the cross.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

In my case...I'm non-denominational..., the answer is definitely "yes." No, we haven't forgotten that we're to "avoid the very appearance of sin," but we know that we are living under grace, not Law (Romans 6:14). If you are being encouraged to experience water baptism or to seek a "baptism of the Holy Spirit," you are in a "performance-driven" church. In other words, you've placed yourself in bondage to "law." No, it's not the Law which governed the lives of the Israelites, for that Law is gone, but such a church is asking you to live under similar regulations. Thus, such a church is said to be "combining law and grace."

God's Word tells us that we are to make a separation (Second Timothy 2:15). And, what better place to separate than between Christ's earthly ministry ("I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel" and "Salvation is of the Jews") and the resurrected Lord's guidance to the apostle Paul ("There is neither Jew nor Greek"). When we do this, we see that the "Gospel of the Kingdom" was preached through Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and until Paul's conversion (Acts 9). Paul, then, is allowed to introduce the "Gospel of the Grace of God." Since Paul, and Paul alone, is the "apostle to the Gentiles," it should not surprise you that he refers to it as "my gospel."

References to such matters as "repent and be baptized" are found ONLY as the gospel of the Kingdom is being preached to Jews and Jewish proselytes and NEVER to gentiles.

So, unless you enjoy guilt, seek a church which rightly divides and know the freedom of life under grace. Christ did, after all, take the punishment for ALL your sins as He hung on the cross.

Hey Billy,

Don't get too upset. The Brooklyn Tabernacle is one of the really great churches IMO and a bright light of the gospel shining in a very dark place. Last night at Bible study the leader referenced a book written by the pastor and it was quite excellent.

Upvote 0

BillyShope

Aug 13, 2012
✟15,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey Billy,

... is one of the really great churches IMO....
As I said, "unless you enjoy guilt." I realize I have many Christian brothers who aren't content unless they feel they're serving a god who will zap or bless them, at any moment, unless they follow prescribed rules, but that is not the God of the Bible. We are not living under Leviticus 26 or Deuteronomy 28. That was another dispensation. The same God Who declared this dispensation, through Paul, is characterized by statements like: Neither circumcision availeth anything nor uncircumcision.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

As I said, "unless you enjoy guilt." I realize I have many Christian brothers who aren't content unless they feel they're serving a god who will zap or bless them, at any moment, unless they follow prescribed rules, but that is not the God of the Bible. We are not living under Leviticus 26 or Deuteronomy 28. That was another dispensation. The same God Who declared this dispensation, through Paul, is characterized by statements like: Neither circumcision availeth anything nor uncircumcision.

Please remember that the OP was addressed to a question about a particular non-denominational church, the Brooklyn Tabernacle. From what I know about that church, none of your accusations apply to it. Do you know that they are teaching these things? If so, please provide the evidence. Thank you.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised Nazarene, Baptist, married Catholic, tried Lutheran to meet in the middle - discovered the Spirit Filled life, went to Methodist - Finally a non-denominational church was where I settled. Don't go by the church and all the legalism involved. Just ask the Holy Spirit to guide you and you will be fine. When it all boils down to it - the relationship with Jesus is what you want rather than the church rules. If you are happy there and don't feel any leading to leave - then you are where you belong.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BillyShope

Aug 13, 2012
✟15,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If so, please provide the evidence. Thank you.
Certainly. Please read "Indwelling of the Spirit" and "Ordinances of the church," which sections are found in "Statement of Faith" under "What we Believe." Apart from the Romans 8 reference, such matters are not discussed in the Pauline epistles.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I don't think such Hyper-Dispensationalism is a facet of most self-described non-denominational churches, and I'm sure you can find it among Baptists as well.

Also, I have no idea where the concept of "guilt" comes from in regard to things such as Baptism; however as a Lutheran I regard Baptism as the gracious activity of God, not a work of law--thus perhaps there are churches that present Baptism as a yoke of law which I'm just not familiar with.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

BillyShope

Aug 13, 2012
✟15,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think such Hyper-Dispensationalism is a facet of most self-described non-denominational churches, and I'm sure you can find it among Baptists as well.
I don't know where you picked up the "Hyper-Dispensationalism" tag, since every Baptist church I attended, over many decades, taught that there was a Dispensation of Law and a Dispensation of Grace. It's just that they were a bit indefinite as to when one dispensation ended and another began. Since this was the case, they ended up mixing law and grace, hence the name "Baptist," since, for this dispensation, there is but "One Lord, one faith, one baptism."(Ephesians 4:5)
Also, I have no idea where the concept of "guilt" comes from in regard to things such as Baptism; however as a Lutheran I regard Baptism as the gracious activity of God, not a work of law--thus perhaps there are churches that present Baptism as a yoke of law which I'm just not familiar with.
-CryptoLutheran
And, how would you feel if someone asked you if you were water baptized and you had to say you were not? Would you feel guilty, knowing that water baptism was expected of you? Would you feel that God was not pleased with you?

Yes, I was taught that water baptism was not necessary for salvation, but, at the same time, I was taught that it was expected of me. So, I was water baptized. Now, I realize that all I did was get wet. No, that isn't quite true. My testimony, given at that time, might have played a small part in the conversion of another, and, for that, I'm grateful.

Still, there is usually guilt associated with the neglect of water baptism or with failing to seek the "second blessing." That's just part of a common reaction to man-made religion.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

I used to be the same way. Then I realized that all the commands to study and search scripture were just more laws to be followed. And the command to preach and proclaim the gospel was just another law too. And the command to not forsake gathering together - another law. And the command to pray - another law.

So now I don't read the bible, listen to preaching, go to church, or pray any more. I used to feel guilty about not doing these things, but now I feel so free since I'm not under law but under grace!

/sarc ;)

• Haha
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0