• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Baptist church question

Discussion in 'Conservative Christianity' started by Rachel Rachel, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Rachel Rachel

Rachel Rachel Messianic/Church of God 7th Day Supporter

+165
    United States
    Messianic
    Single
    US-Constitution
    I've been going to a Baptist church in my neighborhood for the past couple of months. I'm a Sabbatarian but there's no Sabbath keeping church within a reasonable distance of my home.

Anyway....I've noticed that nobody uses last names. I still don't know the pastor's last name! He introduced himself to me as Robert....just Robert. I went on the church's website to make my offering and his full name is not anywhere on the website. I find this extremely odd. I grew up calling my pastor Brother Cambers...not Bill. Is this the norm in the Baptist church?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. gym_class_hero

gym_class_hero Well-Known Member

+857
    Christian
    Married
    maybe his name is Robert Robert, Rachel Rachel. Just kidding. God bless, have a great day!

3. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,625
    Christian
    Married
    There is a current movement towards more intimacy in the church, as opposed to formality.

It's just a practice. I wouldn't let it push me out of an, otherwise, good church.

Hang in there, ... and you'll learn everybody's last names ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,498
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I know a church where the pastor is called "Pastor" or "Pastor . . ." using his last name only. And this is a baptist church. And ones claim they must honor him by doing this.

But I know our Apostle Paul is called "Paul". And our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is called "Jesus".

So, if I am with people who insist they honor a leader by using only a title or title with last name to talk to or about him or her, I am concerned that they expect some sort of honor which is not considered essential honor with . . . Jesus Himself, and certainly not with Paul and Peter and James and John and Titus and Jude and Timothy and Barnabas and Silvanus who are among our examples.

Our examples do not try to make themselves superior to us. We are all equal, as God's family. A Biblical example ministers all which is for all of us, so we too become examples > like happened when Paul and Silvanus and Timothy ministered to the Thessalonians > they became "examples" > see 1 Thessalonians chapter one.

But, of course, true intimacy is not only in what we call each other.

5. Rachel Rachel

+165
    United States
    Messianic
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Thank you. It is a very friendly congregation and I feel welcome. Just very different from what I'm used to.

6. NerdGirl123

NerdGirl123 If only we could be ourselves...

+1,376
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    No, it's definitely not a "Baptist" thing. I find it odd as well!

The pastors in my church (which is Baptist) do use their first names freely, but always with the respect of the "Pastor" title as well. So they're "Pastor Alan" and "Pastor Tim", etc. We all know their last names, they aren't hidden anywhere. That's the weird part to me in your description. There's nothing "formal" about a last name, it's part of your name!

7. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,173
    Christian
    Single
    If it's not there on the website either, I'm tending towards privacy being the reason.

Seems like more and more, as time goes on, people are less likely to show their full name, or wear name tags and such.

8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+27,043
    Anglican
    Married
    Hi, Rachel. No, this seems to be just the style of that particular congregation. Baptists in general are less formal than, say, Catholics or Lutherans, and they are inclined to use first names for the sake of fellowship and not showing pride, but what you describe is beyond that. But if you like the church or have no choice of another, I'd suggest just going with the flow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Rachel Rachel

+165
    United States
    Messianic
    Single
    US-Constitution
    This was my first thought. It's a shame that we have to be this way now.

10. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,173
    Christian
    Single
    Yes, it really is, and unfortunately it will likely only get worse. FWIW, though there is good reason for some concern, I think a lot of it is unnecessary, and too much TV, internet and such make people unnecessarily paranoid.

11. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,515
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    In the contact I've had with Baptists, their pastor's last names were not a secret.

12. Newsgurl

Newsgurl Always here to help

+397
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    I always called my pastor by his first name but every day at church he would give his full name and welcome the congregation. I don’t know maybe you just got to get to know him personally.