Defender.

Mar 16, 2017
USA
✟13,674.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Have a 3 part question, ive read a bunch on it and my terrible comprehension maybe why I haven't found an answer. Keep in mind I only go by the KJV of the Bible and nothing else, But was wondering if you have to be baptized to be saved ? Also was wondering if Jesus ever commanded us to be Baptized.And lastly who is qualified to Baptize you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
ok been reading more since i posted, seems that you may can still get to heaven without being baptized but Christ wants us to be baptized so we should do it.

Hi Defender, that's how I understand it. Baptism is an extremely important commandment that should always be obeyed, but the waters of baptism are not salvific. Rather, salvation is by grace through faith .. Ephesians 2:8-9. IOW, it's not about what 'we' do, rather, it's all about what Jesus did for us :amen:

Soli Deo gloria!

You asked about Christ's commands to be baptized. Here are two instances that come to mind where Jesus tells us to do just that, both directly and indirectly:

Matthew 28
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Mark 16
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Reactions: Defender.
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ok been reading more since i posted, seems that you may can still get to heaven without being baptized but Christ wants us to be baptized so we should do it.

That's the way I see it, it just seems like a good idea, and better safe than sorry. There are many things that are tough to know what to do, as well as though to do, and this one is so easy to do, just get it done and don't stress over it.

I would think any Christian could do it, but I'm sure different faiths might disagree.

Upvote 0

BrotherDave

Sep 11, 2005
Bay Area, California
✟16,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have a 3 part question, ive read a bunch on it and my terrible comprehension maybe why I haven't found an answer. Keep in mind I only go by the KJV of the Bible and nothing else, But was wondering if you have to be baptized to be saved ? Also was wondering if Jesus ever commanded us to be Baptized.And lastly who is qualified to Baptize you.

A word of caution, someone who does get baptized with water must understand that this act is just a “show” exhibiting his belief that God has paid for the sins of His people and that he has been or hopes to be saved. The physical act of baptism holds no spiritual benefit. Water baptism is a work we do and salvation is solely the work of God (Eph 2:8-10). Not everyone who is baptized with water is or will be saved. However, everyone baptized by the Holy Spirit is saved; wether or not he went through physical baptism.

Acts 2:38 indicates that we are to repent and be baptized. Repentance is also a gift of God (Acts 5:31). Baptism for the remission of our sins is God's act as He baptizes us with the Holy Spirit; that is, He cleanses us of our sins. Incidentally, the water that cleanses is the Gospel (Eph 5:26, John 4:14,15:3) as it is applied by the Holy Spirit to the life of the individual He is saving.

The cleansing of our sins places us into the body of believers which God also speaks of as the body of Christ (1 Corinth 12:13). Matt 28:19 teaches that those who become saved are washed (baptized) into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Salvation brings us into a most intimate union with God in every aspect of His being. Only when we get to heaven will we understand the full glorious meaning of this verse.

So, we must understand that water baptism is only a shadow of the action that God has performed or hopefully will perform. No physical act such as water baptism can ever bring anyone into an intimate union with our triune God.

Upvote 0

Defender.

Mar 16, 2017
USA
✟13,674.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
See in my heart and my everyday life I feel that im saved, but ive never been baptized as an adult. I will and plan on it just haven't yet, and there are ppl around me that said you have to be baptized to be saved, I told them you do not and before I could explain they got upset and told me I was full of it. So it made me re think my whole theory.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There are a few who STRONGLY believe that water baptism is the ONLY way that anyone can be saved. These folks normally also believe that a precise combination and order of words must also be spoken over the one being baptized, almost like an incantation, or it isn't valid. Biblically speaking, they are dead wrong, because as important as the command to be baptized is, it's something we do because we are saved (unless we were baptized as infants, of course), not to be saved. So I wouldn't give it much more thought.

Does your pastor believe the waters of baptism are salvific?

If you live north of the equator the good news is this, the outdoor baptism season is upon you (as swimming pools are great places to be baptized :)).

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - wait, were you baptized as a child?

Upvote 0