Not open for further replies.

Kotton

Feb 8, 2002
Kansas
Visit site
✟20,964.00
Faith
Catholic
Since Jesus said to be baptised, and there are many references in the Epistles and in Acts, why would it be questioned? :confused:

I have never understood why we see a mention of SPRINKLING. Who ever baptizes by sprinkling? The Catholics don't, and yet we see it mentioned anytime baptism comes up. :(

Kotton :wave:

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was baptized in the Methodist Church and water was poured over my head.

I think people get the 'sprinkling' idea from seeing the priest use the aspergillum. It looks (for those of you who don't know) kinda like a big silver baby rattle with holes in the ball part. The priest dips it in holy water and uses it to 'sprinkle' whatever he is using the holy water to bless. The congregation, the altar, a home...lots of things. It merely conveys a blessing, not a sacramental baptism.

Catholics baptize in water by immersion or pouring. They baptize using the Trinitarian formula. There is no 'sprinkling' going on. Water baptism is for everyone, in any time. There was no time limit put on the efficiousness of baptism to wash our sins away.

Upvote 0

Shane Roach

Mar 13, 2002
✟23,036.00
Faith
Christian
I was Baptised into the Methodist church by sprinkling. Some of them do it that way. Then they put their wet hand on your head and pronounce the Trinitarian formula, or whatever you call it. Actually the Methodist church is getting very universal about these things. They'll certainly dunk ya if that's what you want. Methodist churches are all over the place on some of these things. Last I checked the Methodist denomination still forbids homosexual ministers too. There's a strong thread of non-denominationalism running its way through the modern Methodist church. The goal seems to be unity, but not at the expense of proper discipline, which I think is good.

It tends to have that rather strong Protestant emphasis on Missionaries and not so much on charitable works, is my only complain about the congregations I've been involved with. Although... Stop me or I'll never stop rambling! My step father is presently working in an inner city Methodist church which is VERY active in that sort of ministry, because hey, consider the location: Downtown Houston, TX.

All in all it's a wonderful denomination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aforchrist33

Feb 19, 2002
Maine
Visit site
✟630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dear NickLovesAbba;

As far as I'm concearned there is no difference as far as water goes. My pole was to those who differ.

If getting baptized makes you feel better, I would certainly not take that away from you. However in all honesty you need to know that you have allready received the holy Spirit the moment you believed Jesus died for your sins and rose for your justification. (Ephesians 1:13 /4:30) You can not add aditional parts of the Spirit until it is complete. God bless!

Upvote 0

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00
Paul's point in 1 Corithians 1 was not that basptism is nothing to be concerned with. He was referring to the divisions in the church at that time. They were saying I am of Paul, I am of Apollos, etc. His point was that Christ is not divided.
Baptism is important, Jesus said to baptize, but it does not, nor can it save.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm new to these forums. I'm a Protestant, no particular denomination but more conservative than some. My fiance is Catholic and I will visit with her church in a couple of weeks. I've attended once in the past and felt lost when it came to the format of the services. In my church we are very informal: we sing praise songs for about an hour, take a fifteen minute break to say hello to everyone, and then have a sermon.

I'd like to start with something simple and ask what does the Catholic church believe about baptism? In my faith, baptism is not mandatory for salvation. It is a statement before your church family that you follow Christ and you give them permission to hold you to what you claim you believe. Baptism is for anyone old enough to understand what it means and there is no requirement to be baptised before serving in the church.

What do Catholics believe?

Thanks, and God bless.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by ljmandtina

What do Catholics believe?

As the Nicene Creed states:

".... We believe in one baptism for the forgiveness of sins ...."

Baptism is regenerational, it is also necessary for salvation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.