Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was baptised a year ago but never repented when I was baptised and continued living my old life. Should I be baptised again?

No. The only thing you need to do at this point is repent of your sins. Confess them to God and ask that He forgive you for your sins and ask Jesus Christ to come into your life and be your Savior. Being baptized alone does nothing. Being baptized is normally what people do as a public testimony of your repentance and beginning of your new life in Christ.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not if you meant the baptism. If you chose to be water baptized and went through with it, you are baptized. Once is sufficient. You still need to deal with that repenting. Do you believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins and have accepted that and Him as your savior as well ?

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
As stated above, and remember Jesus is always just to forgive when you mean it :]
party0011.gif

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was baptised a year ago but never repented when I was baptised and continued living my old life. Should I be baptised again?
My Church teaches that a sacrament (such as baptism) being valid depends on valid form and valid intention. We don't believe that baptism is a symbol without purpose or power. On the contrary, baptism leaves a mark on the soul so this is not incidental nonsense.

If you were baptized in water then the form of your baptism should be just fine. Being baptized in Coca Cola would be a problem, however.

Still, there may be an issue with intention. Your intention could be up for grabs. Repentance is a necessary component of baptism. St. Peter linked repentance with baptism in Acts 2:38-39. Again, that's isn't meaningless.

With the proviso that baptism can only be done once, my Church offers what it calls a conditional baptism. The idea is that if your baptism from a previous occasion isn't valid due to whatever reason, you can be baptized to correct that. But if your baptism was valid then a conditional baptism will only get you dripping wet but nothing more.

If you're concerned about your baptism, I do recommend checking into whatever equivalent for a conditional baptism is available to you. I would think most ministers will be sensitive to your concerns on this and will try to accommodate you as best they can.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
If you were baptized in water then the form of your baptism should be just fine. Being baptized in Coca Cola would be a problem, however.
LOL Never heard that before and I sure am glad because you know many bottles it would take to fill the baptistry and then you would have all that burping afterward. :]

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
LOL Never heard that before and I sure am glad because you know many bottles it would take to fill the baptistry and then you would have all that burping afterward. :]

Not to mention that bubbly feeling while the person is standing in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Veritas238

Nov 5, 2015
✟15,559.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since repentance is the first step in salvation (after faith)... wouldn't you need to first come to a place of attrition and repentance before being baptized?

In the bible repentance and baptism are closely linked together to the washing away of sins (see Acts 2::37-38 & Acts 22:19). I would encourage you to come to a place of faith and repentance, and then to be rebaptized per the bible.

Of course, if you had first repented and been baptized, I would say no need. But since you admit to not repenting... if you feel the need to be baptized again after coming to true repentance... why not go for it?

Upvote 0

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Baptism without repentance is not legitimate.

Repent and THEN be baptized.

However, most Protestant churches do not even believe in the necessity of baptism; many view it merely as an external symbol of an already existing internal reality. This turns baptism into nothing but an event in which the person gets wet to prove his conversion to everyone. This is a caricature, I know, but I know of very few Protestants who would preach, "Baptism is essential for salvation." If it's not essential, it can be discarded. Then, what's the point? If baptism doesn't wash us from the stains of our sins, if it doesn't effect our death and resurrection in the Lord, what is baptism but nothing? I don't believe in this sort of symbolic baptism. Sacramental baptism, which confers God's grace, that is what I believe in. And we can only enter into this baptism with true repentance, faith, and love.

Upvote 0