Baptism: Two Kinds One Spiritual, One Water.

Spiritofprophecy

Jul 5, 2007
✟16,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Greetings in the Name of Jesus:

I am starting this thread because there is no place to vote in poll for Spiritual baptism for salvation, and water baptism for edification of the Church on earth.

I say this because the baptism of the spirit is the same as one saying He is reborn anew; a new creature in spirit, which is almost impossible to attain salvation without this. But all things are possible with God.

Water baptism is needed to reconfirm in flesh, that which is also of spirit, and to edify the Church with symbols of the faith.

This is a controversial issue to some, and I mean no offense unto any person and ask those offended to forgive me. I pray no one takes offense.

May Gods bless C.F. and all who use it.

A

Apollos1

Greetings to you SoP –

I am not certain this is a topic for the RM area. This may get moved to a more appropriate area. But…

There is no better way to start a discussion than by providing the scriptures you think supports the thoughts and ideas that you are presenting. Therefore I kindly request the following from you as the thread starter…

You said - I am starting this thread because there is no place to vote in poll for Spiritual baptism for salvation, and water baptism for edification of the Church on earth.

Please provide the scriptures you think teaches that HS baptism is for salvation or that this was at anytime for salvation. Can you show examples where “Spirit” baptism saved someone?

And would you provide any scriptures you may have that shows where “Spirit” baptism is commanded to be performed –OR- to be received by anyone. In other words, was anyone in the NT ever commanded to baptize someone with “Spirit” baptism or was anyone ever commanded to be baptized in the “Spirit”???

Please provide scriptures that demonstrate water baptism is for edification as opposed to salvation. Can you show where such was ever commanded or exemplified in scripture?

You said - I say this because the baptism of the spirit is the same as one saying He is reborn anew; a new creature in spirit, which is almost impossible to attain salvation without this. But all things are possible with God.

You are begging the questions here. Please substantiate this with scripture(s).

You said - Water baptism is needed to reconfirm in flesh, that which is also of spirit, and to edify the Church with symbols of the faith.

Again, where is your scriptural support?

You said - This is a controversial issue to some, and I mean no offense unto any person and ask those offended to forgive me. I pray no one takes offense.

No offense taken by me. I need to see what Bible you have to support what I consider to be a spurious position according to plain Bible teachings.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings in the Name of Jesus:

I am starting this thread because there is no place to vote in poll for Spiritual baptism for salvation, and water baptism for edification of the Church on earth.

I say this because the baptism of the spirit is the same as one saying He is reborn anew; a new creature in spirit, which is almost impossible to attain salvation without this. But all things are possible with God.

Water baptism is needed to reconfirm in flesh, that which is also of spirit, and to edify the Church with symbols of the faith.

This is a controversial issue to some, and I mean no offense unto any person and ask those offended to forgive me. I pray no one takes offense.

May Gods bless C.F. and all who use it.

Okay, let's initiate this study by making a few observations ...

1.) Acts 2:38 says, "Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (NKJV). According to this passage, both repentance and baptism are required "for the remission of sins," which is synonymous with "salvation," the word you used in the OP. Therefore, baptism is required for salvation. The baptism under consideration in Acts 2:38 is "in the name of Jesus Christ." How is this baptism identified in Acts 10:47-48, which says, "“Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days." It is obvious in this text that the baptism "in the name of the Lord" was in water. Therefore, we know what the phrase means. Jesus authorized His disciples to baptize in water by His authority (i.e. Mark 16:15-16, Matthew 28:18-19), and that is what they were doing.

2.) Romans 6:3-11 is a text commonly used by some to support the idea that there is a "spiritual baptism." Let's note verse 7: "For he who has died has been freed from sin." As discussed in this context, in baptism a person dies with Christ to sin and is freed from it." Being freed from sin is synonymous with the remission of sins in Acts 2:38, which involved baptism in water. See the connection?

3.) 1 Corinthians 12:13 is another passage commonly used by some to support a "spiritual baptism." That passage says, "For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit." Let's consider some relevant background information: the Corinthians were baptized (i.e. Acts 18:8). According to the discussion in 1 Cor. 1:10-17, Apollos baptized some of the Corinthians, Cephas baptized some, and Paul baptized some. So, did these preachers baptize the Corinthians in water or with the Holy Spirit? I am inclined to think the only baptism the preacher could administer is in water - as Philip did the eunuch in Acts 8:35-39. Now, concerning the Spirit's role in baptism, and taking that last example of conversion just mentioned (the conversion of the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8:35-39), who was guiding the preacher per Acts 8:29? Wasn't it the Holy Spirit? And, as a result of "preaching Jesus," was the sinner baptized in water or the Spirit? I believe it should be obvious that the eunuch was baptized in water in response to hearing the message of salvation through Christ. Wasn't that the same way the 3,000 responded in Acts 2:41? And, when we consider that context, let's note verses 1-4. Who came upon the apostles in those passages. It was the Holy Spirit. Thus, Peter, under the direct influence of the Holy Spirit, commanded the Jews to be baptized in water. Thus, given some thought, we should be able to see the Spirit's role in baptism as He convicted the world of sin (per Jesus' promise in John 16:8) and told sinners what to do to have their sins taken away.

Upvote 0

Spiritofprophecy

Jul 5, 2007
✟16,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Greetings in the name of Jesus:

I believe in water baptism; Let me say that first;. but the baptism I speak of in spirit. is the " Born in spirit" concepts.
Which the scriptures of Lest ye be born anew in spirit. you cannot receive the kingdom. Which is to receive the holy spirit. the only unforgivable sins are to Blaspheme the holy spirit. or to deny the holy spirit.

My paraphrase of Baptised in spirit is the Born again of spirit scriptures.

My Only verse about water baptism as symbol and not directly related to salvation, is the thief on the Cross next to Jesus. who by faith accepted Jesus, and Jesus assured him that this day he shall be in heaven... he had not baptism of water. Should have though.

Water saves not. Gods blood saves, and faith saves which brings the spirit of God. which those who are One in God in spirit shall never die. Hitler was baptized of water. as are all Catholics who ever did Great evil. Which points that Only those with God in their hearts who are one with God in spirit, are saved, or granted grace. Its not water which saves but ones heart in relationship unto God.

I know this is controversial to some; and I apologize if any takes offense. And I believe in water baptism; but not as an end all cure. But only the symbol of the end all cure; which is Jesus blood: and our spiritual walk with him.

I pray my words do not offend any
God bless Christian Forum, and all who use it.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe in water baptism; Let me say that first;. but the baptism I speak of in spirit. is the " Born in spirit" concepts.
Which the scriptures of Lest ye be born anew in spirit. you cannot receive the kingdom. Which is to receive the holy spirit. the only unforgivable sins are to Blaspheme the holy spirit. or to deny the holy spirit.

My paraphrase of Baptised in spirit is the Born again of spirit scriptures.

My Only verse about water baptism as symbol and not directly related to salvation, is the thief on the Cross next to Jesus. who by faith accepted Jesus, and Jesus assured him that this day he shall be in heaven... he had not baptism of water. Should have though.

Water saves not. Gods blood saves, and faith saves which brings the spirit of God. which those who are One in God in spirit shall never die. Hitler was baptized of water. as are all Catholics who ever did Great evil. Which points that Only those with God in their hearts who are one with God in spirit, are saved, or granted grace. Its not water which saves but ones heart in relationship unto God.

I know this is controversial to some; and I apologize if any takes offense. And I believe in water baptism; but not as an end all cure. But only the symbol of the end all cure; which is Jesus blood: and our spiritual walk with him.

I pray my words do not offend any
God bless Christian Forum, and all who use it.

First, what is your native or first language?

Now, to your points ...

John 3:3-8 says,
3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'
8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

And,

1 Peter 1:23 says, "Having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever."

With these passages in mind, we can see the necessity of being born again, and see that the word of God directs us through this process.

According to Romans 6:3-11 and Colossians 2:12-13, the new birth occurs during baptism. Not baptism alone, but baptism coupled with belief and confession of Jesus as Lord e.g. Acts 8:35-39.

Agreed. The water of baptism doesn't save. It's really about faith in the operation of God per Colossians 2:12. However, let's not overlook the point in 1 Peter 3:21 - baptism does save. Not the water. But the idea that we have a good conscience (free from the guilt of sin) by the resurrection of Christ (Jesus rose from the dead, and we have risen from baptism - a figure/type/shadow of His resurrection). It's God way of uniting us with the resurrection of Christ. Thus, we arise from baptism born again - dead to sin and alive to God per Romans 6:3-11.

:clap:

Upvote 0

Lisabeth

Jul 1, 2007
Sunny Florida
Visit site
✟7,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John 3:3-7
3: Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4: Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5: Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6: That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7: Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Spiritual types natural, natural types spiritual.....
WATER BLOOD SPIRIT

In our natural birth we are born of water and blood, and we become a spirit.

In our spiritual birth we are born again of water(our baptism),saved through Christ's Blood, and then we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Ye must be born again in spirit to enter the Kingdom of God.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
For we are reborn in Christ Jesus. For the Kingdom of God is within you. as stated in....
Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Blessings,
Lisabeth

Upvote 0
S

SpiritDriven

Do you think perhaps you are putting some trust in an action or deed or work that you can do to make yourself right with God...?

Did Jesus fail in his mission on the Cross....is there somthing left that you have to do...?
Was Jesus the weak end of a formula that requires your Vital contribution to work...?

We differ....mind you in saying that, I do relise you are quoting from the pre redemption ministry of Christ to the Jews,in regards to scripture quoting what Jesus said to Nicadimas, and I am a Gentile...

Now to the one who works, his wage is not reckoned as a favor but as what is due. But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness (Romans 4:4-5).

You could label me as disobedient if you like, however I sure am glad that my right standing with God is because of his sons obedience, not mine. (obedience even unto death on a Cross)

Peace

Upvote 0

SoulFly51

Sep 19, 2004
✟9,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Repenting is doing something. Praying a prayer is doing something. Dying to yourself (Romans 6) involves doing something.

I think you have mixed up "doing something" with "earning salvation."

No, we can never do anything to make God owe us something (i.e. being baptized in water doesn't make God owe us salvation), but that doesn't mean we don't have do anything to be saved. That's a ridiculous assumption the same as believing someone can earn eternal life, just at the other extreme.

Loving another involves action, and we do have free will whether you believe it or not. Ironically, you've made a choice not to believe that we do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know - I'm not sure why anyone would even bother teaching that stuff. If it were true... we wouldn't be able to choose to believe it anyway. What's more - it wouldn't matter. Either way we're fine because we'd only be believing what God predestined us to believe and we'll all be saved regardless.

Peace

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think perhaps you are putting some trust in an action or deed or work that you can do to make yourself right with God...?

Luke 17:10 "So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.' "

Did Jesus fail in his mission on the Cross....is there somthing left that you have to do...?
Was Jesus the weak end of a formula that requires your Vital contribution to work...?

Jesus had died on the cross some 50 days prior to the the Jewish observance of Pentecost. On the day of Pentecost, here is what the Jews were told to do to have their sins taken away:

Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

In Acts 2:41, 3,000 Jews obeyed what they were told to do and were saved (verse 47).

QUESTIONS:
1.) Did these Jews do the right thing by obeying what they were told to do?
2.) Did the obedience of the Jews in Acts 2:41 mean that Jesus failed on the cross - or that He was leading them to victory :)clap:) ?

Now to the one who works, his wage is not reckoned as a favor but as what is due. But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness (Romans 4:4-5).

You could label me as disobedient if you like, however I sure am glad that my right standing with God is because of his sons obedience, not mine. (obedience even unto death on a Cross)

Peace

Romans 4:4-5 is discussing the faith of Abraham versus his works. James 2:21-23 also discusses Abraham faith by his works. The two concepts do not contradict. Faith prompted Abraham to obey God starting in Gen. 12 when he was called from Ur. His faith preceded circumcision (which is the point made in Rom. 4:9-11). The point in Romans 4? Abraham is the father of all who walk in the faith he had (4:12). Abraham wasn't righteous because he was circumcised, rather, he was righteous because of his faith. However, his faith prompted him to obey God when told to be circumcised (Genesis 17). And, his faith prompted him to obey God when told to offer Isaac in Genesis 22. Don't overlook these little itty-bitty details. Abraham's faith prompted him to obey God. :amen: Therefore, we should obey God just as Abraham did (notice the conclusion drawn in James 2:24).

Rather than label you as disobedient, why not "obey" what the Lord says? According to Jesus (in Luke 17:10), if you do, you surely haven't "earned" salvation, but are still an "unprofitable servant" dependant upon God's grace and mercy. :bow:

Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The CofC has always been accused of being heavy on James and light on Romans, but I think this passage in James is appropriate:

James 2:14-19 said:
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if people claim to have faith but have no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

There is a big difference in saying that the action is what saves us and that the action is a required form of obedience. James is not saying above that works will save you, or that you're adding to your salvation; what he's saying is that you cannot separate the faith from the obedience in your works. A faith without works is not a true faith; it is empty because it serves no purpose.

The water of baptism does not save you, and it does not imbue one with the Holy Spirit. That is evident through the bible. However, the act of water baptism is obedience commanded by God; not a single Christian in the bible was not given water baptism. As DRA mentioned above, Acts 10:47-48 states that the Holy Spirit had been received before water baptism; however, Peter still baptized them with water. This would not be necessary had the gift of the Holy Spirit been sufficient for full obedience.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The CofC has always been accused of being heavy on James and light on Romans, but I think this passage in James is appropriate:

James 2:14-19
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if people claim to have faith but have no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

There is a big difference in saying that the action is
what saves us and that the action is a required form of obedience. James is not saying above that works will save you, or that you're adding to your salvation; what he's saying is that you cannot separate the faith from the obedience in your works. A faith without works is not a true faith; it is empty because it serves no purpose.

The water of baptism does not save you, and it does not imbue one with the Holy Spirit. That is evident through the bible. However, the act of water baptism is obedience commanded by God; not a single Christian in the bible was not given water baptism. As DRA mentioned above, Acts 10:47-48 states that the Holy Spirit had been received before water baptism; however, Peter still baptized them with water. This would not be necessary had the gift of the Holy Spirit been sufficient for full obedience.

:amen:

Upvote 0

Spiritofprophecy

Jul 5, 2007
✟16,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Greetings to you SoP –

I am not certain this is a topic for the RM area. This may get moved to a more appropriate area. But…

There is no better way to start a discussion than by providing the scriptures you think supports the thoughts and ideas that you are presenting. Therefore I kindly request the following from you as the thread starter…

You said - I am starting this thread because there is no place to vote in poll for Spiritual baptism for salvation, and water baptism for edification of the Church on earth.

Please provide the scriptures you think teaches that HS baptism is for salvation or that this was at anytime for salvation. Can you show examples where “Spirit” baptism saved someone?

And would you provide any scriptures you may have that shows where “Spirit” baptism is commanded to be performed –OR- to be received by anyone. In other words, was anyone in the NT ever commanded to baptize someone with “Spirit” baptism or was anyone ever commanded to be baptized in the “Spirit”???

Please provide scriptures that demonstrate water baptism is for edification as opposed to salvation. Can you show where such was ever commanded or exemplified in scripture?

You said - I say this because the baptism of the spirit is the same as one saying He is reborn anew; a new creature in spirit, which is almost impossible to attain salvation without this. But all things are possible with God.

You are begging the questions here. Please substantiate this with scripture(s).

You said - Water baptism is needed to reconfirm in flesh, that which is also of spirit, and to edify the Church with symbols of the faith.

Again, where is your scriptural support?

You said - This is a controversial issue to some, and I mean no offense unto any person and ask those offended to forgive me. I pray no one takes offense.

No offense taken by me. I need to see what Bible you have to support what I consider to be a spurious position according to plain Bible teachings.

Dear apollos 1:

In direct response to your question. I am not sure any one can get a direct answer in the way men seek answers to be given; to make things plain as we wish all things would be.

Which is to say, we must receive the truths of God as God so intends us to receive them; and then by the spirit in us; are we then to discern, based upon faith and Gods blessings of spiritual revelations.

Now I can give a verse which would answer a question. that is to receive forgiveness for sins, or to remove sins; is it of spiritual or earthly atonement. or to ask, in removing sins is it a spiritual removal or earthly. we say spiritual baptism or earthly baptism. And I point to the same verse that water baptist point to for origins of water baptism.
colossians2;10-11;. "And ye are complete in him( Jesus).which is the head of all principality and power.
11. In whom(Jesus) also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ." Now in interpretation, this verse says: the body of sins is removed by a circumcision made not with hands ( meaning Not earthly). which leaves Only ( spiritually). for the putting off of sins of flesh, by circumcision of Christ. This is poetical circumcision of christ, as circumcision of spiritual baptism of the Holy spirit, which is the only thing which is " made not by hands". and is not water baptism. which is made by hands. sprinkle sprinkle dunk dunk..

To me this is a defining verse about the body of sins, is removed by "circumcision made not by hands". And understanding how spiritual things are denoted as not of man or made of man or of hand of man. which always denotes of spirit.

I know from experience, that those of water conviction for salvation; can in no way accept any other interpretation which could cast doubt on their water based faith in water sin removal. but this is a definitive verse for those open to hear.

I pray my words do not offend any, God bless C.F. and all who use it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Spiritofprophecy

Jul 5, 2007
✟16,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First, what is your native or first language?

Now, to your points ...

John 3:3-8 says,
3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'
8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

And,

1 Peter 1:23 says, "Having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever."

With these passages in mind, we can see the necessity of being born again, and see that the word of God directs us through this process.

According to Romans 6:3-11 and Colossians 2:12-13, the new birth occurs during baptism. Not baptism alone, but baptism coupled with belief and confession of Jesus as Lord e.g. Acts 8:35-39.

Agreed. The water of baptism doesn't save. It's really about faith in the operation of God per Colossians 2:12. However, let's not overlook the point in 1 Peter 3:21 - baptism does save. Not the water. But the idea that we have a good conscience (free from the guilt of sin) by the resurrection of Christ (Jesus rose from the dead, and we have risen from baptism - a figure/type/shadow of His resurrection). It's God way of uniting us with the resurrection of Christ. Thus, we arise from baptism born again - dead to sin and alive to God per Romans 6:3-11.

:clap:
greetings in the name of Jesus:

Now those who are born twice, Once water and once of spirit.

If one denies the reborn is also related to the earthly born, then none will make sense but Jesus said of faithful that they are born of water and spirit. Now one of these is the regular earthly born. and that is water. which 98% of men are water, and in water in womb do we come and are born from. so water baptism and spiritual baptism are the two, One of spirit one of earth called water. So man is born of earth called water, and then born of spirit, called reborn of spirit.

I pray my words do not offend, God bless C.F. and all who use it.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dear apollos 1:

In direct response to your question. I am not sure any one can get a direct answer in the way men seek answers to be given; to make things plain as we wish all things would be.

Which is to say, we must receive the truths of God as God so intends us to receive them; and then by the spirit in us; are we then to discern, based upon faith and Gods blessings of spiritual revelations.

Now I can give a verse which would answer a question. that is to receive forgiveness for sins, or to remove sins; is it of spiritual or earthly atonement. or to ask, in removing sins is it a spiritual removal or earthly. we say spiritual baptism or earthly baptism. And I point to the same verse that water baptist point to for origins of water baptism.
colossians2;10-11;. "And ye are complete in him( Jesus).which is the head of all principality and power.
11. In whom(Jesus) also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ." Now in interpretation, this verse says: the body of sins is removed by a circumcision made not with hands ( meaning Not earthly). which leaves Only ( spiritually). for the putting off of sins of flesh, by circumcision of Christ. This is poetical circumcision of christ, as circumcision of spiritual baptism of the Holy spirit, which is the only thing which is " made not by hands". and is not water baptism. which is made by hands. sprinkle sprinkle dunk dunk..

To me this is a defining verse about the body of sins, is removed by "circumcision made not by hands". And understanding how spiritual things are denoted as not of man or made of man or of hand of man. which always denotes of spirit.

I know from experience, that those of water conviction for salvation; can in no way accept any other interpretation which could cast doubt on their water based faith in water sin removal. but this is a definitive verse for those open to hear.

I pray my words do not offend any, God bless C.F. and all who use it.

Spirit,

Although your post was direct to Apollos1, I would like to briefly respond.

Colossians 2:11 (NKJV) ...

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,

The "circumcision made without hands" occurs "through faith in the working of God" in baptism. Note the latter part of verse 13. See that part about the forgiveness of trespasses or sins? It is synonymous with "the remission of sins" in Acts 2:38. Which baptism was commanded in that passage? Wasn't it "in the name of Jesus Christ." Isn't this same baptism identified in Acts 10:47-48 as being in water?

Consider Acts 8:35. Philip "preached Jesus." In response to hearing Jesus preached, which baptism did the eunuch desire? Who was guiding Philip according to verse 29 in that chapter? Let's see now ... the Holy Spirit was directing the preacher ... who preached Jesus to the eunuch ... who then desired to be baptized in water. Hmmm. Jesus said, "Unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God" (John 3:5). Were both involved in this conversion? Was the eunuch baptized in water? Was the Holy Spirit directing the preacher (see also Acts 6:3,5)?

Hmmm. :idea:

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Now those who are born twice, Once water and once of spirit.

If one denies the reborn is also related to the earthly born, then none will make sense but Jesus said of faithful that they are born of water and spirit. Now one of these is the regular earthly born. and that is water. which 98% of men are water, and in water in womb do we come and are born from. so water baptism and spiritual baptism are the two, One of spirit one of earth called water. So man is born of earth called water, and then born of spirit, called reborn of spirit.

Not born twice. "Born again."

Romans 6:3-11 describes how this occurs. It occurs in baptism. Which baptism did the Jews in Acts 2:38,41 submit to? How about the eunuch in Acts 8:36? How about Cornelius and his household in Acts 10:47-48? How about Saul in Acts 22:16? How about Crispus and Gaius in 1 Cor. 1:14 (Since Paul baptized them, what type of baptism would that be referring to?) How about the household of Stephanas (1 Cor. 1:16)?

If you would like to study together, please respond to the questions.

Upvote 0

Spiritofprophecy

Jul 5, 2007
✟16,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Romans 6:3-11 describes how this occurs. It occurs in baptism. Which baptism did the Jews in Acts 2:38,41 submit to? How about the eunuch in Acts 8:36? How about Cornelius and his household in Acts 10:47-48? How about Saul in Acts 22:16? How about Crispus and Gaius in 1 Cor. 1:14 (Since Paul baptized them, what type of baptism would that be referring to?) How about the household of Stephanas (1 Cor. 1:16)?

Not sure what your question is?

And born twice, is not inaccurate. once of water of flesh, and once of spirit.? And yes it says also Born again, as its also written.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by - DRA -

Not sure what your question is?

Here are the questions again:
1.) Which baptism did the Jews in Acts 2:38,41 submit to?
2.) How about the eunuch in Acts 8:36?
3.) How about Cornelius and his household in Acts 10:47-48?
4.) How about Saul in Acts 22:16?
5.) How about Crispus and Gaius in 1 Cor. 1:14 (Since Paul baptized them, what type of baptism would that be referring to?)
6.) How about the household of Stephanas (1 Cor. 1:16)?
Not sure why you don't understand the questions. Take the first question. Isn't it apparent that baptism was commanded in verse 38? How is that baptism described in that verse. Is there another verse that uses the same terminology (i.e. baptism in the name of Jesus Christ in verse 38) that shows us precisely which baptism that is (HINT: Acts 10:47-48)? Is baptism in the name of the Lord (which is synonymous with the baptism in the name of the Lord in Acts 10:47-48) a spirit baptism or a baptism in water according to Acts 10:47-48?

And born twice, is not inaccurate. once of water of flesh, and once of spirit.? And yes it says also Born again, as its also written.

John 3:3 says a person must be born again. Jesus further explains how this occurs in verse 5 - by being born of water and the Spirit. And, Romans 6:3-11 shows how this process works - in even more detail. The idea is that we are dead in sin, but can be buried with Christ and raised with Him to become alive to God. It occurs in baptism. See the point? Prior to baptism we are dead in sin, and after baptism we are alive to God. That shows there is a definite connection between baptism and being baptized in water (i.e. Acts 2:38, Acts 8:35-39, Acts 10:47-48).

Are the questions really that hard, or is there just a problem acknowledging what those Scriptures teach us?

Upvote 0